Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Well there's still the possibility of not getting the WA past parliament and I don't think he's a huge fan of the WA himself despite voting for it the last time it was put to parliament.

I do think he wants an election but I think he will probably try to delay it until after brexit.

I agree it is an option though.
    There are too many uncontrollable dangers with holding an election after B-day 3. Firstly, he could be forced by parliament to hold one earlier via a VONC. Secondly there's going to be a media storm about the effects of brexit during a campaign where he won't control the narrative. Every interview will be dominated by the fall out (however large or small).

Hold it before B-day and he controls the narrative. He can say what he likes about what's going to happen and what he will do.
    And let's not forget that he voted for the WA. He may not like it, but if he gets a majority and dumps the DUP, he can go back to the original idea for the backstop and by doing so, hold on to NI in the union and shut the Scots up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Valhallapt wrote: »
    QFT

While Ireland had done a reasonable good job diversifying exports, the same is not true for imports.

With the collapse of sterling, I’m anecdotally hearing U.K. imports have actually increased in recent weeks. (An element of stock piling also) Look at supermarket shelves, there is large amounts of British made goods on them, there is no plan to substitute them, with the best intentions and their big buying power the multiples can swap to continental brands but that will take months before the supply chains become optimal meaning lots of empty shelves.

As for Imports of raw materials from the U.K. there are a whole series of issues apart from the delays and tariffs, like does the material meet a recognized safety standard within the single market. This will in turn have an impact on exports.

Major retailers have been diversifying their brands away from british suppliers to continental ones for a while now, theres new shipping routes been created and many supply chains are already up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-08-13/brexit-pain-sparks-selloff-in-shares-of-danish-ferry-operator

DFDS the largest provider of cargo services between Britain and the continent are seeing a large drop in volumes, much bigger than what they expected or what they can account for from previous stock piling.

Continental businesses are reducing imports from Britain in advance of Brexit, Irish businesses are increasing imports......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭fash

It’s popped up again today. These sustained and ever more ridiculous ‘stories’ are just going to get worse as we move closer to the 31st.
    Are you sure? I think it was just on that tweet you referenced- which I understand to be citing it as evidence for the anti-Irish theme

With the collapse of sterling, I’m anecdotally hearing U.K. imports have actually increased in recent weeks. (An element of stock piling also) Look at supermarket shelves, there is large amounts of British made goods on them, there is no plan to substitute them, with the best intentions and their big buying power the multiples can swap to continental brands but that will take months before the supply chains become optimal meaning lots of empty shelves.
    And (not anecdotally), I spoke directly to one of the biggest supermarket buyers in this country and they told me that they've been substituting since mid last year. It has also been reported that UK suppliers can't get long term contracts with their export customers and are rolling over month by month.

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    Major retailers have been diversifying their brands away from british suppliers to continental ones for a while now, theres new shipping routes been created and many supply chains are already up and running

I hope you are right on this, but apart from aldi / lidl I’m not seeing the change.

I’ve no proof but anecdotally I’m seeing the reverse is happening the fall in sterling leading to increased stockpiling.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

<snip>
    4. Leave on no deal but keep the option open for the EU to propose a revised deal.

With the last option, I'm sure he would love for the EU to come back with a revised deal but he knows this is unlikely. Nevertheless it plays well at home. So as things stand, it is leave on no deal unless he (or the EU) is planning something that no one is expecting.
    In terms of #4, if the UK leave then there will not be a new deal. They will have left the EU (by their own making) and any new discussions will be about creating new trade agreements.

As for the EU proposing a new deal before the UK leaves, well then that's the end of the EU in one reckless move. This will *not* happen regardless of what the Daily Mail say.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    And (not anecdotally), I spoke directly to one of the biggest supermarket buyers in this country and they told me that they've been substituting since mid last year. It has also been reported that UK suppliers can't get long term contracts with their export customers and are rolling over month by month.

That is anecdotal, I too spoke with a large haulage firm working with large multiples who are seeing a big increase.

A couple of months ago I was on a stag trip with a purchaser for one of the biggest multiples and they had no plans to substitute, fully expect there to be some kind of deal. May things have changed since then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

fash wrote: »
    Are you sure? I think it was just on that tweet you referenced- which I understand to be citing it as evidence for the anti-Irish theme

It’s on a few of those clearly bot accounts. I keep an eye on a lot of them just to see what the latest nonsense is.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's kinda funny though watching these Brexiteers boiling in their own piss about Ireland actually having some diplomatic clout.

This is the first time that Ireland couldn't be simply routed over to serve their own insular desires...

Agreed, but not the first time - we isolated ourselves during the Emergency rather than return to Empire, they couldn't understand that then and fail to remember it now - although do remember their own Dunkrik spirit.

Funnily enough, Brexit is looks likely to be as successful an endeavor as the British Expeditionary Force.

• Advertisement

I hope you are right on this, but apart from aldi / lidl I’m not seeing the change.

I’ve no proof but anecdotally I’m seeing the reverse is happening the fall in sterling leading to increased stockpiling.

Well yeah the fall in sterling means they can get things cheaper than ever before, why not make hay while the sun shines?

Im sure if you looked at Amazon and other online UK retailers like Asos etc you would see a similar spike.

That is anecdotal, I too spoke with a large haulage firm working with large multiples who are seeing a big increase.

A couple of months ago I was on a stag trip with a purchaser for one of the biggest multiples and they had no plans to substitute, fully expect there to be some kind of deal. May things have changed since then.
    I don't doubt it. The British multiples here are pretty much tied to the mother ship's supply chains. Apart from locally sourced produce like meat, vegetables and the big Irish brands that is. I wouldn't say the same for the likes of Musgraves, Dunnes etc.

Well yeah the fall in sterling means they can get things cheaper than ever before, why not make hay while the sun shines?

Im sure if you looked at Amazon and other online UK retailers like Asos etc you would see a similar spike.

Well it’s not very prudent, what happens when their stock pile runs dry and all the ferries are full and there is no capacity to import from elsewhere. How long can those business survive without imports?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I don't doubt it. The British multiples here are pretty much tied to the mother ship's supply chains. Apart from locally sourced produce like meat, vegetables and the big Irish brands that is. I wouldn't say the same for the likes of Musgraves, Dunnes etc.

How a no-deal Brexit threatens your weekly food shop

The Guardian has an excellent infographic that shows the main products where the UK will have problems. I have to say that I was quite surprised to see that 99% of frozen potatoe products are imported from the EU. I would have thought domestic production would be far higher.

Well it’s not very prudent, what happens when their stock pile runs dry and all the ferries are full and there is no capacity to import from elsewhere. How long can those business survive without imports?

Why are you assuming they don't have another supply chain also running at reduced capacity with plans to scale up when required?

There will likely be issues in the very short term but as you pointed out due to the dropping of routes to the UK theres boat available to create new routes to Ireland now. A massive one with a brand new ship launched last year literally called the brexit buster.

There will likely be issues in the very short term but as you pointed out due to the dropping of routes to the UK theres boat available to create new routes to Ireland now. A massive one with a brand new ship launched last year literally called the brexit buster.
    There are actually three of them now. The first was the MV Celine, then the MV Delphine and just recently the MV Laureline. All the same size with over 5Km of load space for RoRo.

baa10426b97837912d59f43ce9a07137_L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

... and shut the Scots up.
    Ah now let's be realistic here.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Apparently thiings will be ok for the UK due to their contingency planning being done by PM Johnson (according to the CEO of Next)...
    “We’re a long way from gridlock and chaos. I think the fact that (UK tax authority) HMRC have introduced these transitional measures will make an enormous difference,” he said.

“We are rapidly moving from the gridlock and chaos camp into the well prepared camp. To have the government and civil service that is now determinedly endeavoring to make sure that we are prepared is really important.”

He said the government of Theresa May had failed to adequately prepare for a no-deal, a situation he said was now being addressed by her successor.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/next-boss-says-britain-can-avoid-no-deal-brexit-disorder-bbc-1.3984874

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

fash wrote: »
    That was from July 2018 when he said a no deal Brexit could affect flights.

"European open Skyes" is a set of agreements within the EU and - AFAIR - with some associated nearby states. ( there is an agreement of a similar name with the US too).
    It allows every EU majority owned airline to basically fly everywhere within the EU and allows all 9 freedoms of the air. It's the basis for low cost airlines and did end the very expensive nationally owned airline system with 'One Lufthansa for one BEA/BA flight on say the London-Frankfurt route'

Flying over and landing for emergency/repair another countries is, however, part of signing up to the Chicago Convention from 1947 (192 nations has signed) and is a right (if you pay a fee and follow the rules for the airspace you fly in etc.) (called 'Freedom of the air' 1+2. Look it up on Wikipedia)

Landing or takeoff with passengers on a direct route from/to your home country is a matter for negotiations and requires a deal. (Freedom of the air 3+4).

The EU27 has announced it plans to unilaterally allow direct UK<->EU27 flights until March 31. 2020 (if the UK does the same).
    The EU27 would have allowed more complex flight routes for a few months after the no deal Brexit that did come this past March, not to interfere with airline reservations. It might do the same from Nov 1. - (or it may not)

Some deal on air traffic seems to be one of the few areas the EU might consider for a mini-deal.

Lars :)

https://www.ferryshippingnews.com/cldns-celine-and-delphine-together-at-dublin-port/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The Guardian has an excellent infographic that shows the main products where the UK will have problems. I have to say that I was quite surprised to see that 99% of frozen potatoe products are imported from the EU. I would have thought domestic production would be far higher.

That's a brilliant graphic.

You hear brexiters argue that they can self sustain, and if they survived the war they could survive this...how far from reality can they be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That's fantastic.

Really highlights just how we've "overplayed our hand".

We legitimately could starve them. The exports to the UK from Ireland are insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

That infographic seems to put to rest (the clearly silly) mantra of 'they need us more than we need them'. When scrolling down, you can see the switch from EU exports to UK to UK exports to EU. Massive difference there for the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

There are actually three of them now. The first was the MV Celine, then the MV Delphine and just recently the MV Laureline. All the same size with over 5Km of load space for RoRo.

baa10426b97837912d59f43ce9a07137_L.jpg

The MV Celine and MV Delphine has about 8 km lanes while the MV Laureline has as you write "over 5km" (seem to have 5400 lane meters)

Other shipping companies have announced or already increased their capacity to/from Ireland too.

Lars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭brickster69

That's fantastic.

Really highlights just how we've "overplayed our hand".

We legitimately could starve them. The exports to the UK from Ireland are insane!

You mean stop selling to the UK. I wonder if anyone else on this planet sells food.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

J Mysterio wrote: »
    That infographic seems to put to rest (the clearly silly) mantra of 'they need us more than we need them'. When scrolling down, you can see the switch from EU exports to UK to UK exports to EU. Massive difference there for the UK.

Some of the items in that list that the UK do not produce at all: very interesting to look at. In the globalised world, we have all gotten very used to access to all sorts of products. Who can forgot the stories our parents told us when they were growing up? Like for instance when it was a 'treat' for your Dad to get an orange. Like an orange is an 'exotic' fruit. Just a reminder in many ways how you get very used to good things and take them for granted. How will the UK cope without the below items? And how much are they willing to pay over the odds for them on ideological grounds? These items will be very expensive in Brexit Britain.

Spinach, aubergines
    peaches, nectarines, apricots
    sunflower seeds, poppy seeds, mustard seeds, sesame seed
    walnuts, pistachios
    kiwis, watermelons, grapes, figs, dates
    maize, buckwheat
    lemons, limes, mandarins, grapefruit, cranberries, mangos
    avocados, pumpkins, sweet potatoes
    coconuts, pineapples, papaya
    soy, lentils, ginger
    coffee, cocoa
    cocoa

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

You mean stop selling to the UK. I wonder if anyone else on this planet sells food.

Of course they do. Although, chlorine is an acquired taste.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

And you need trade deals to buy and import that food.

Uk Trade deals for food so far? Faroe Islands. If there’s more we don’t seem to have heard about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,767 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lots of the UKs frozen food products are made in Naas. Could easily be 70% of frozen pizza and a decent figure for frozen potato products

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Yeah. that's EXACTLY what I meant. :rolleyes:

Mon dieu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭brickster69

And you need trade deals to buy and import that food.

Uk Trade deals for food so far? Faroe Islands. If there’s more we don’t seem to have heard about them.

No you don't. All you have to do is drop tariffs on products you do not produce. As far as i know UK do not produce Watermelon's so what is the point of making the cost of them more by adding tariffs.

If UK is buying frozen chips from somewhere in the EU, it would be a logical for some company to import potatoes from somewhere, make frozen chips and supply the whole nation themselves and cut out the middleman.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement