Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

People talking about starving the UK because they are implementing the democratic will of the people, ffs. Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

No you don't. All you have to do is drop tariffs on products you do not produce. As far as i know UK do not produce Watermelon's so what is the point of making the cost of them more by adding tariffs.

If UK is buying frozen chips from somewhere in the EU, it would be a logical for some company to import potatoes from somewhere, make frozen chips and supply the whole nation themselves and cut out the middleman.

What matters is not UK tariffs on these products, it's the tariffs the UK have to pay on them to import.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

L1011 wrote: »
    Lots of the UKs frozen food products are made in Naas. Could easily be 70% of frozen pizza and a decent figure for frozen potato products

judging on that graphic wouldnt the netherlands be screwed on a lot of things. way more than us no??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

People talking about starving the UK because they are implementing the democratic will of the people, ffs. Grow up.

Ah, like Priti Patel, Home Secretary, suggested?

https://www.thejournal.ie/brexit-threat-food-shortages-ireland-4381228-Dec2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

And you need trade deals to buy and import that food.

Uk Trade deals for food so far? Faroe Islands. If there’s more we don’t seem to have heard about them.

The UK needs to export to get the money needed to pay for import. The UK will lose some goods export and very much export of the for the UK all important services.

With a debt/GDP ratio of 85-86% borrowing is not going to be a possibility much longer. This ratio is already a real scare if/when interest rates starts to rise. When the GDP falls as it did in Q2 and will after any Brexit the ratio will go up even without the UK borrowing anymore.

Lars :)

PS! Germany has a debt/GDP ratio of 60-61%, while the hole EU27 is around 80%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

reslfj wrote: »
    The UK needs to export to get the money needed to pay for import. The UK will lose some goods export and very much export of the for the UK all important services.

With a debt/GDP ratio of 85-86% borrowing is not going to be a possibility much longer. This ratio is already a real scare if/when interest rates starts to rise. When the GDP falls as it did in Q2 and will after any Brexit the ratio will go up even without the UK borrowing anymore.

PS! Germany has a debt/GDP ratio of 60-61%, while the hole EU27 is around 80%

Ireland's is 65%. Only saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭brickster69

Popeleo wrote: »
    Of course they do. Although, chlorine is an acquired taste.

What like EU chlorine washed salad, or the chlorine in swimming pools and tap water. That chlorine ?

Point about that is the buyer buys what he wants to buy. Do you think Mr.Tesco will be at some US chicken farm saying we want to buy xx million tonnes / year and the people seller says you can only buy chlorinated chicken, nothing else ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

What like EU chlorine washed salad, or the chlorine in swimming pools and tap water. That chlorine ?

Point about that is the buyer buys what he wants to buy. Do you think Mr.Tesco will be at some US chicken farm saying we want to buy xx million tonnes / year and the people seller says you can only buy chlorinated chicken, nothing else ?

To whom should we be a vassal state? The EU or Trump's America? Hmmm....must choose....so hard....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Chicken is clorinated in the US to hide poor hygine and safety standards. Even so, rates of food poising in the US is way higher than in the EU. The consumer will what they want to buy, and in the absence of high levels of food safety regulation, they will get sick far more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    judging on that graphic wouldnt the netherlands be screwed on a lot of things. way more than us no??

Depends on the amount that is of their overall exports though. I believe it was known that we are in for the worst of it, but that Belgium and the Netherlands would suffer as well. That is before you start going to the cheese and wine makers in France or the car makers in Germany.

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »
    What matters is not UK tariffs on these products, it's the tariffs the UK have to pay on them to import.

And if the tariffs are 0% because they they do not produce those products. What would the UK be paying to import ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

The big marker for me is the lack of CAA preparation to stand back up all its independent functions that went to EASA.

The EU are refusing to do equivalence discussions until its all sorted out . Since the CAA are obviously expecting to be associate EASA members their lack of work tells you all you need to as its a necessary function in a no-deal world

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Duggie2012 wrote: »

NO!!

NL will have a fully functioning SM of 445 million potential customers and some 60+ world class FTA's to redirect their surplus products to.

On the very short yes it will be hurt, but not for long as the Dutch are excellent traders.

The UK has announced lower tariffs for things like pork, butter, but the EU27 will not and can - due to WTO MFN rules - lower their tariffs following a UK 'No Deal' Brexit. UK assembled cars will face a 10% tariff and UK lamb more like 50+%.

The UK rates has been announced by HMG, but can change
    https://ahdb.org.uk/eu-and-uk-import-tariff-rates-for-selected-dairy-products

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You're making the common mistake of looking at the chlorine as the issue rather than what it hides. Chlorine washing salad leaves is done to reduce bacteria and prolong shelf life. The actual amount is less than what's found in drinking water. The real problem with chlorine washed chicken, isn't the chlorine, it's the unsafe farming and abbatoir practices that increase the likelihood of contamination of the meat. And it's not very effective. One in four US citizens will suffer a food borne illness every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

reslfj wrote: »
    The MV Celine and MV Delphine has about 8 km lanes while the MV Laureline has as you write "over 5km" (seem to have 5400 lane meters)

Other shipping companies have announced or already increased their capacity to/from Ireland too.

That equates to approx 600 + 600 + 400 = 1,600 container capacity. How does that align with the needs?
    What additional resources are the other companies producing?

I did manage to find this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44657460
    The Irish Freight Transport Association estimates that the final destination of roughly 60% of the 475,925 freight containers shipped to Britain is Britain itself.

That means the other 40% - roughly 190,000 per year - is destined for elsewhere in the EU, transiting across Britain via ports such as Dover or Hull, or via the Channel Tunnel.

It seems to take 1.5 days approx to sail Dublin to Rotterdam so a round trip every 3 days.

Capacity = 1,600 * (365/3) = 194,000

So it would seem Ireland is on schedule at least to lessen the impact of bypassing GB.

One question - do these RoRo ferries taken the tractor units too or just the trailers? The figures quote 'containers' but I assume RoRo would infer the tractor units too.
    Is that accounted for in the 190,000 figure from the IFTA or is that a different statistic?

EDIT: Just realised that a number of the 475k containers would now go to EU in the event of a no deal.

That equates to approx 600 + 600 + 400 = 1,600 container capacity. How does that align with the needs?

It seems to take 1.5 days approx to sail Dublin to Rotterdam so a round trip every 3 days.

So it would seem Ireland is on schedule at least to lessen the impact of bypassing GB.

One question - do these RoRo ferries taken the tractor units too or just the trailers? The figures quote 'containers' but I assume RoRo would infer the tractor units too.
    Is that accounted for in the 190,000 figure from the IFTA or is that a different statistic?
    I think a lot of RoRo shipping is done on an unaccompanied basis. I believe this is due to tachograph restrictions. Stuff going to the UK is normally fine on that basis (a lot of NI traffic to the UK goes through Dublin and onwards; driver accompanied).

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Chicken is clorinated in the US to hide poor hygine and safety standards. Even so, rates of food poising in the US is way higher than in the EU. The consumer will what they want to buy, and in the absence of high levels of food safety regulation, they will get sick far more often.

Do you get it ? No one will be forced to buy chlorinated Chicken. Next you will be saying all Beef in America is hormone treated.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭volchitsa

On ferries from Ireland to France (perhaps land bridge is the same but I've never noticed it) I've seen several sections filled with just the container sections of transport units. I take it they are picked up by local hauliers on arrival and delivered onwards.

ETA: Prawnsambo has just explained why.

Do you get it ? No one will be forced to buy chlorinated Chicken. Next you will be saying all Beef in America is hormone treated.
    You think the US will accede to UK demands for them to meet UK standards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

On the risk to supply of food products after October 31st on Irish supermarket shelves, the one thing I would say is Ireland is a relatively small and easy to supply market - you’re talking 2 or 3 distribution centers for the largest supermarkets and relatively short supply chains.

It will hugely advantage domestic producers of like for like goods, and there are lots of them. That will actually help mitigate the damage to some of our food exports as domestic consumption of locally produced stuff will, certainly in the short term, increase.

The big multinational brands are just that - multinational and will just begin to route products probably from the Benelux and France. A lot of Benelux products are even already even labeled in English (as well as French and Dutch and often German too).

Some things will either become hard to get or become more expensive, although collapsing sterling may buffer that for a good while.

I would suspect the prospect of a major GBP collapse will take a lot of pressure off Irish retailers on this but on the other side of it, you could see massive disruption in the UK itself and issues with companies folding due to higher costs on their ingredients, so I wouldn’t necessarily rely on that either.

Of the Irish supermarkets chains : Dunnes is very, very resourceful and isn’t likely to be caught short. I don’t see Musgraves having issues either. Both companies operate supermarkets in Spain too which means they have access to supply chains beyond Ireland.

Tesco Ireland is not as attached to the mother ship as people seem to think. They’re also a major player in parts of Europe too so, again they’ve access to alternatives.

Lidl and Aldi are German and global so again, I think they’ll be fine somehow.

We could potentially see major issues for M&S food though. Yet, they’re still investing quite heavily here - new store in limerick just announced so, they must have some kind of contingency ideas.

For non food items, E.g. clothes, electronics, etc, very very little of that, in any retailer here, is made in the UK, so it’s really just a matter of shipping boxes slightly differently and not transiting UK supply chains. The way modern logistics works, that’s not all that complicated as there typically isn’t a load of warehousing steps between the manufacturer and the retail outlet. Items are quite often just produced somewhere and then delivered by a logistics operator via whatever route is most effective and absolutely none of that stuff is time sensitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

And if the tariffs are 0% because they they do not produce those products. What would the UK be paying to import ?
    I'm afraid this is naive hand-waving. You're failing to grasp the complexity of how international trade actually works and instead likening it to trading marbles in the playground.

Imagine I make potatoes and John makes potatoes. You buy practically all of your potatoes from me. One day you decide to break contact with me, but because you need potatoes, you don't have time to negotiate with John, you tell him that you'll just take everything he has and pay him what he wants.

Simple, right? Well no.

Because I buy loads of stuff from you. And now that you've decided to cut contact with me I will stop buying stuff from you. I will go to another competitor.

And I also sell other things to you. In response to your decision, I have raised all of the prices - to you only - of the things I sell to you.

In addition to this, John and I are not the only potato producers. All of the other potato producers are super pissed off that you have given special treatment to John and have also decided to stop buying from you and charge extortionate prices on the stuff they sell you.

In your attempt to work out a way to make things really cheap to buy, all you've done is make it really hard to sell the things you produce, and really expensive to buy anything of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Ireland's is 65%. Only saying.
    Irish GDP is so heavily distorted by the impact of multinationals that it is now a meaningless number.

Modified GNI is the number we use here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭volchitsa

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You think the US will accede to UK demands for them to meet UK standards?

And without EU labelling regulations, how will the consumer know?
    We're talking about the country where a Minister for Agriculture fed his three year old daughter a possibly-contaminated beef burger on TV during the Mad Cow disease crisis just to reassure consumers. Possibly wrongly, as it turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

If the UK opens itself up to the US market, and allows lower regulation standards as a result, then UK agriculture will be driven out of business and the UK consumer will be forced to consume US products becase of a lack of a home grown alternative, and they will be sicker as a result. The wealthy will still have their Welsh lamb because they can aford it, but the high standards they have today wont be viable for mass market production because the US produces will always win on price so most Uk farmers will be driven out and those that remain will have to lower their own standards to compeat. The ordinary punter will be eating US muck or similar standard UK produced muck, and will have to go to the doctor more often as a result.

Irish GDP is so heavily distorted by the impact of multinationals that it is now a meaningless number.

Modified GNI is the number we use here now.

Indeed. The Irish government and the EU still refer to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

All three of Stena's ships operating from Ireland can do Ireland-France or Spain.
    They've another ferry on order due next year.

Three of Irish Ferries can do Ireland-France or Spain too.
    The Swift probably could too (at a stretch and significantly higher fuel cost).
    They've another ferry on order due next year.

Brittany Ferries operates two ferries out of Cork to France (Roscoff) and Spain (Santander), with two trips a week, that also incorporates a stop off in Plymouth - presumably that could be cut out to possibly add a third trip.

Indeed. The Irish government and the EU still refer to it though.
    In terms of budgetary analysis and for calculation of each country's payments to the EU, they use modified GNI afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

More than anything else, the UK government’s vow that future food imports must meet the same UK standards could be the biggest blocker. George Eustice, a minister for environment, food and rural affairs until February 2019, told a House of Lords inquiry into Brexit and agriculture that “beef produced in Brazil, Uruguay and the US is cheaper than in the EU and, in particular, in the UK, but that comes at the price of using hormones in beef and all sorts of approaches that probably would cause consumer reaction here, and the quality of the product is far inferior to what we have”.

I think this is whats really worrying and to my mind a large driver behind why brexiteers really want Brexit.
    The Eu if nothing else has been excellent at managing food quality, human and workers rights - the above is just one of the many fronts the citizens of the UK are being attacked upon from within.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Didnt the recent Agriculture deal allow for 30,000 tons of US hormone free beef to be allowed in or am I getting this misremembered

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »
    Didnt the recent Agriculture deal allow for 30,000 tons of US hormone free beef to be allowed in or am I getting this misremembered
    No. It has to meet EU standards. Checked before shipping afaik.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement