Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Wishful thinking or based on something more substantial???

I saw him on Rigby this morning when he made that comment. It sounded interesting until he subsequently was asked to elaborate and said Merkel told him that ‘Germany can’t solve he border for them; it has become an issue due to UK choosing to Brexit, so the UK needs to solve it’. He then went on about technology and ‘smart borders’ but when asked he couldn’t produce or suggest anything beyond ‘technology’ and how his business experience would be helpful

So Nothing new, sounded like Merkel was reiterating the EU position of the backstop being an insurance policy “unless and until” something replaces it, so the UK needs to find something

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭trellheim

Tusk was very clear that the UK should use this breathing space to figure out what it wants. Instead it is spinning ever sillier as ambition comes to the fore, and this space is being completely wasted - where was the negotiating to explore different aspects and so on.

E.G Red line re ECJ gets removed and you will see change on the EU side. Add FOM and you will see change on the EU side .

Nearly every single one of them wants to roll up the political declaration with the WA which is just plain silly and wont happen. They

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

trellheim wrote: »
    Tusk was very clear that the UK should use this breathing space to figure out what it wants. Instead it is spinning ever sillier as ambition comes to the fore, and this space is being completely wasted - where was the negotiating to explore different aspects and so on
    Exactly. I figured the extension was just more time wasting.

Agreeing to 2 extensions has been perceived as weakness by the enemies of Europe. No more extensions and no more negotiation.
    Government ought to be pouring the concrete for new volume of sea freight that we'll need.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

volchitsa wrote: »
    Why exactly would the EU agree to scrap it and start again, and what exactly would be different this time around that both the EU would agree to and that would get through Westminster?

Oh I agree. But I think the Eu would rather this roll on under a new negotiation than grant endless extensions. As someone just said it’s more than likely they’re pissed off and want something anything from the uk right now.
    But I can see them going for a redo rather than granting more extensions. And will maybe insist on a second referendum as a price on furhther extension so as to break this endless deadlock

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

Oh I agree. But I think the Eu would rather this roll on under a new negotiation than grant endless extensions. As someone just said it’s more than likely they’re pissed off and want something anything from the uk right now.
    But I can see them going for a redo rather than granting more extensions. And will maybe insist on a second referendum as a price on furhther extension so as to break this endless deadlock
    There will be no more negotiations. We have a deal. Why would we redo it? We won't give them anything more so it is of little benefit.

• Advertisement

Christy42 wrote: »
    There will be no more negotiations. We have a deal. Why would we redo it? We won't give them anything more so it is of little benefit.

Well the new pm is not going to rattle in with mays:eus deal. They just won’t.
    So are we left with a no deal situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

Yes. If the UK refuses anything else reasonable we don't have to bend over backwards to suit the UK all the time.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Yes. If the UK refuses anything else reasonable we don't have to bend over backwards to suit the UK all the time.

And I hope we/Eu don’t. This is a catastrophe of the uks making.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Well the new pm is not going to rattle in with mays:eus deal. They just won’t. So are we left with a no deal situation?

In practice it's doubtful if a no deal situation is sustainable for any length of time. So the UK could leave with no deal. But sooner or later they are going to have to do a deal with the EU. Over half the UKs trade is done with the EU or via trade deals the EU negotiated.

If they leave with a no deal they are going to come back to the EU looking for a deal in an even weaker position. So there is no real incentive for the EU to change it's position. A no deal just strengthens the EUs hand when negotiating the long term deal. Remember we are only taking about the transitional deal not the long term deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Apart from instructing them to have a second referendum (which I think the EU wouldn't do, for the optics alone) what are you suggesting would be different in a second round of negotiations? Different PM, ok but in terms of what's on the table?

And why would they offer a new PM something they refused to give May?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If important Red Lines melt away under a new PM, the EU might just be in the mood for a bit more negotiation. But I can't see that happening, just thinking out loud.

OK so what I currently reckon will happen is = this is what I think the UK are thinking - no-deal and Ireland will then beg the EU for any deal at all, this gets uk out of the backstop and then its party time

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Nah - revoking A50.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I think the Eu would rather this roll on under a new negotiation than grant endless extensions. As someone just said it’s more than likely they’re pissed off and want something anything from the uk right now.

As far as the EU is concerned, there is no deadlock. From the EU's side of the table, it's very simple: "here's the deal we've already worked out - sign it, don't sign it, whatever." And in practice, other than a bit of grandstanding over whether or not to grant an extension, the EU has effectively written off the UK as a meaningful member.

BUT all the time the UK remains a member, the EU can continue to trade on favourable terms, EU-based suppliers to and/or purchasers from the UK can sign deals without being locked into long-term contracts, and everyone can pretend that the UK is or isn't an EU member to suit their own agenda.

There are almost no disadvantages now to granting another extension ... except for the British, who - of course - can't offer any outside investor or any third-country trade partner anything by way of guarantee because they won't make their minds up.

I think Halloween will see a re-run of March 29th: the EU will say that given the on-going instability in the UK and lack of consensus on any future relationship with the bloc, it will unconditionally extend Britain's membership for a period (probably two years-ish) unless and until the PM and government of the day specifically acts to leave or revoke Art.50.

We'll have lived with Scrhödinger's Britain for more than three years by then; it will become the new status quo until the Tory and Labour tribes are removed from Westminster and replaced with something resembling a more modern democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

PeadarCo wrote: »
    Over half the UKs trade is done with the EU or via trade deals the EU negotiated.

Its way more than half, surely!

Apart from instructing them to have a second referendum (which I think the EU wouldn't do, for the optics alone) what are you suggesting would be different in a second round of negotiations? Different PM, ok but in terms of what's on the table?

Thad kind of where I was going.
    The only card uk has left to play is under a new pm. Revoke A50. Then give it loads of British bulldog waffle about going to Europe and getting a real deal for Britain. And triggering brexit again.

We know it’s nonsense. But it’s not outside the realms of possibility.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Its way more than half, surely!
    Top of my head it's 50% to EU and another 30ish percent on EU trade deals. The non trade deal is service focused as most trade deals don't cover services.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Thad kind of where I was going.
    The only card uk has left to play is under a new pm. Revoke A50. Then give it loads of British bulldog waffle about going to Europe and getting a real deal for Britain. And triggering brexit again.

We know it’s nonsense. But it’s not outside the realms of possibility.

But those are all things the British might (conceivably) do.

My question was what would all that change in terms of what the EU might be prepared to offer this time around that wasn't already on offer to TM - and why would they do that for a new PM when they haven't done so up to now?

In other words, why should anyone believe a candidate who promises that? Can there be many people who really think it's just because May did it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

But those are all things the British might (conceivably) do.

My question was what would all that change in terms of what the EU might be prepared to offer this time around that wasn't already on offer to TM - and why would they do that for a new PM when they haven't done so up to now?

In other words, why should anyone believe a candidate who promises that? Can there be many people who really think it's just because May did it wrong?

It's the cakeist mindset, which I've seen defined elsewhere as "the idea that the UK can have everything it wants merely because it wants it".

A lot of brexiters (including several front runners for the Tory leadership) honestly believe that by going to Brussels and slamming their fist on the table, they'll force 27 other countries to bow to the will of the UK.

It's the cakeist mindset, which I've seen defined elsewhere as "the idea that the UK can have everything it wants merely because it wants it".

A lot of brexiters (including several front runners for the Tory leadership) honestly believe that by going to Brussels and slamming their fist on the table, they'll force 27 other countries to bow to the will of the UK.

To be clear I’m not a brexiteer I think it’s an act of suicide.
    I was just trying to explore all remaining options available. Such as they are. Which is to say few.

• Advertisement

The only possible causes of action I can see is

1) Exit no-deal and then try and renegotiate . This is currently what will happen given no other action.
    2) Revoke A50
    3) Extend A50 again ( most likely option but depends on what gets elected to PM ) .

David Davis, Dom Raab, Olly Robbins, Nick Timothy, Ivan Rogers have all now been sacrificed on the altar and there's nothing to show ( except of course a fantastically good deal in the WA that they have a hump over the backstop but anyway ).

So if any one tries 1-3 above, what cards do they have worth showing or even who knows enough about the space to even try and negotiate
    ? Bullying Ireland with no-deal threat is it as far as I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 21,320 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A number of key players on the EU are retiring, Tusk, Juncker and Merkel later.
    Don't know what the new players will be like and will they carry as much influence or does it swing more Macron's way.
    Things might not be so easy for the UK. Tusk esp went the extra yard.

Rory Stewart could be the one to watch.

I don't know how reliable this site is, but they say he is neck and neck with Boris J.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/news/104437/rory-stewart-and-boris-johnson-joint-top

The lead runner rarely wins, so could Rory sneak in! I kind of like him TBH. And he took Opium in the dens back in the day. Far more upmarket than cocaine and Weed ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,131 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I don't know how reliable this site is, but they say he is neck and neck with Boris J.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/news/104437/rory-stewart-and-boris-johnson-joint-top

The lead runner rarely wins, so could Rory sneak in! I kind of like him TBH. And he took Opium in the dens back in the day. Far more upmarket than cocaine and Weed ha.

He's the best of the bad bunch but if he and Boris are the 2 final candidates at t the end it's a certain win for Boris as the Conservative members love Boris (god knows why)

Headshot wrote: »
    He's the best of the bad bunch but if he and Boris are the 2 final candidates at t the end it's a certain win for Boris as the Conservative members love Boris (god knows why)

Yes I know, sadly.

A new person outside the usual candidates would be good. But as you say, the Tory membership are very stuck in their ways.

I suppose Boris represents the elite Eton heads or something other than a rep from a council estate. Not that Rory Stewart is either, it's just a mindset I think.

They are doomed with Boris, but hey 140k Tory membership can decide the fate of the UK. Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Headshot wrote: »

Sky News running with Amber Rudd throwing her weight behind Jeremy Hunt.

That could scupper any hope Rory Stewart had as many in her One Nation group will follow her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Also, what else could the EU change in the current deal? Let's say the new PM says that his intention is to change the political declaration to a relationship more like Norway where they will be in a customs union and the single market as well, it doesn't change the need for the WA at all. We will still want a legal document that whatever the deal negotiated after they leave will safeguard the border and that citizens rights are guaranteed and that the UK pays their obligations. So nothing will change even if the PM comes with something new as the current deal is what will still be offered.

The only difference is a PM will have no problem with the backstop if they are open to a Norway type deal so getting it through should not be an issue. So whoever is the new PM, and I discount the like of Sam Gyimah as I don't think he has a chance, will still find the WA as an obstacle that will not change whatever they offer to the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Johnson opting for the "magic money tree" economic policy:

http://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1137821375606022144

54&56 wrote: »
    Sky News running with Amber Rudd throwing her weight behind Jeremy Hunt.

That could scupper any hope Rory Stewart had as many in her One Nation group will follow her.

I hope that won't happen. But who knows.

Our fate here in Ireland is dependent on a bunch of numpties in the UK who don't know what the heck they want. Bizarre, well to me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Rory has approximately 0.0000001% chance of winning. He may be the most sane, but hes the type of politician the tories members who vote on this loath.

Its going to be Hunt v Boris unless something absurd happens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement