Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Would be great if RS gets through to the next round. I don't care if he wins the leadership, he probably won't, but Johnson's sneaky ploy of avoiding the debate on Sunday in the hope that RS would be out for tonight's debate might backfire on him. I think my mean streak will come out if RS gets through and I will grin, I can't help it.

Your wish has been granted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

****ing delighted to see Raab out, deserves every bit of it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Raab gone with 30 votes. Stewart has 37.

Javid through by the skin of his teeth on 33.

Looks like the debate tonight is gonna be a must watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Stand by!

Boris Johnson 126
    Gove 41
    Hunt 46
    Javid 33
    Stewart 37

Raab 30 out

So as you were really. 2nd is a four horse race with Stewart coming up on the rail

They're all an awful bunch, but glad to see Raab out so early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The pity is that Johnson will need to be discovered in bed with a live boy or a dead girl not to win this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The debate on BBC1 is @ 8pm tonight right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Headshot wrote: »
    The debate on BBC1 is @ 8pm tonight right?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Stand by!

Boris Johnson 126
    Gove 41
    Hunt 46
    Javid 33
    Stewart 37

Raab 30 out

So as you were really. 2nd is a four horse race with Stewart coming up on the rail

those 30 Raab votes will go to Johnson.

Its been speculated that Johnson is loaning votes to ensure Stewart is out and ideally Hunt is in the last 2.

I expect after the debate that Johnson will step this up and make sure its Boris v Hunt, he has the numbers sadly for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,430 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The pity is that Johnson will need to be discovered in bed with a live boy or a dead girl not to win this.

Well given his, ahem, colourful personal history, who knows?:p I thought something might crop up to disqualify him in the post #metoo era, but apparently he isn't that sort of sleaze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Rjd2 wrote: »
    those 30 Raab votes will go to Johnson.

Its been speculated that Johnson is loaning votes to ensure Stewart is out and ideally Hunt is in the last 2.

I expect after the debate that Johnson will step this up and make sure its Boris v Hunt, he has the numbers sadly for that.

That doesn't add up though. Hunt just got three more votes than in the first round. So if he was going to be loaned votes surely it more make more sense to give him more to be on the safe side.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

It’s wll over twitter and radio today that Johnson is having votes stacked for Hunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tonight's debate is rather odd - questions from the public but not in the studio. It'll feel a bit dead unless the 5 left start to let rip properly (even if it's only in Latin)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,430 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Tonight's debate is rather odd - questions from the public but not in the studio. It'll feel a bit dead unless the 5 left start to let rip properly (even if it's only in Latin)

I like that format, should cut down on the grandstanding and platitudes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Ken Clark ripping BoJo a new hole on Sky earlier! :D

BoJo lending votes to Hunt doesn't make sense at this point - reducing his count and increasing Hunt's instead doesn't prevent anyone else from reaching 33. It will make sense in round 5 alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

Theres no one within a donkeys roar of Johnson in the betting, currently hes 1/7.

Interesting Rory is second favourite way out at 7/1

I thought Johnson might be marmite to a lot of Conservatives but seemingly not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Theres no one within a donkeys roar of Johnson in the betting, currently hes 1/7.
    Interesting Rory is second favourite way out at 7/1
    I thought Johnson might be marmite to a lot of Conservatives but seemingly not

Yet this morning you said:
    I am laying Bojo at 1.17 just becuase there is always a possibility with him that he will say or do something to torpedo his campaign
    So 1.17 (lay bet) is as bad of an idea, as backing Hilary for POTUS 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

Yet this morning you said:

So 1.17 (lay bet) is as bad of an idea, as backing Hilary for POTUS 2020.

Do you know what a lay bet is ?

It means to bet against.

Yes I think its worth laying Johnson just because his price is so ridiculously low. It looks value, on the exchanges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Do you know what a lay bet is ?
    It means to bet against.
    Yes I think its worth laying Johnson just because his price is so ridiculously low. It looks value, on the exchanges

Correct, but going up (against) the clear favourite without any clear logic does not make any sense. Hoping for some 'wild-party-night-story' scandal to emmerge and de-track him within the next month is simply wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

This debate is awful so far. Bickering between themselves. Maitlis is struggling to control them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This debate is awful so far. Bickering between themselves. Maitlis is struggling to control them.

They all completely ignored Rory Stewarts perfectly cromulent question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Johnson isn't allowing himself to be interrupted. This is worse than Sunday so far. A whole lot of non answers.

Stewart has the tie off..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Time limit on the backstop - Javid.

Do they not listen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

Here we go again with talk of existing technology which solves the border issue. Why can't anyone ask them to explain what the technology is and how it will work?

Javid sinking here over the backstop.

Hunt and Javid prattling on vaguely about technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

They are ganging up on Rory.............a sure sign that they are scared of him?

Roger_007 wrote: »
    They are ganging up on Rory.............a sure sign that they are scared of him?

Maitlis is quite annoying, she won't let Stewart ask pertinent questions of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Boris bringing up Gatt 24 as a solution to the Irish Border issue. Charlatan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Boris is not impressive.....but neither are the rest... Bertie Ahern would do a job on these lads

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

'Comprehensive solution' says Michael Gove. What is it then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Rorys totally correct when he says none of them are answering the questions, either about delivering brexit or on the backstop. Its all fantasy and delusion. But i cant honestly see Rory answering it himself either, a border in the irish sea, as i think he is suggesting, isnt something i see working either. And the citizens assembly is a fair enough idea, but a group likely split 50-50 leavers and remainers isn't all that likely to bring things any farther along imho.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement