Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Listening to this on radio 4

This is going to haunt each of them. Or would do in the normal real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

'I went in to politics to help the very poorest in society'. Said with a straight face. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Who would have thought that the Tories are so concerned about the poor. The sound like a bunch of Labour MPs at their annual conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,188 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Gove is the one i like least of all these, and by some distance. Sure, Johnson is a man of no morals or convictions but i will at least say about him that's he's fairly transparent. Gove just looks so slick and managed, its just not possible to actually believe a word that comes out of his mouth. As education minister he ravaged schools sports facilities at a time they were bleating on about their olympic legacy, cant find any redeeming quality about him at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Such delusion and willful ignorance on display from all of them apart from Rory Stewart who at least seems to recognise the ****-show that they've gotten themselves into. That shred of reality from him will rule him out of the running now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Johnson isn't saying a whole lot, and he's not really being pushed either. He's being allowed talk when he wants, so is sure of what he wants to say.

Can't say something wrong if you don't say anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

This debate is a shambles, very poorly organised. Emily isn't controlling and moderating very well at all.

I love how knife crime in London is all the fault of the labour mayor and nothing at all to do with the cutting in the police budget under the tory government.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,188 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Johnson isn't saying a whole lot, and he's not really being pushed either. He's being allowed talk when he wants, so is sure of what he wants to say.

Can't say something wrong if you don't say anything!

I noticed he was not being very forward. I guess the less you speak the less likely you are to gaff.

None of them are any good - even Rory Stewart. This is Titanic Mk2.

Although it would be a disaster for me, I do hope that Boris wins so that the BREXIT poster boy can be at the wheel when it ****s up - and it will be his legacy. Sad that is the only highlight I foresee in all of this.

• Advertisement

nc6000 wrote: »
    Here we go again with talk of existing technology which solves the border issue. Why can't anyone ask them to explain what the technology is and how it will work?

The big (obvious) question for me is why those who advocate a tech solution to the British border in Ireland ( :-) ) still require a hard time limit on the backstop instead of their proposed solution passing a functional test in order for the backstop to be lifted?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

So who's the best man-spreader?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So when will Javid bow out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The format is flawed and plays in to Johnson's hand. A live studio dynamic with participants reacting to what they've heard and moreover challenging the speakers on what they've said is much more a litmus test.

This has been nothing more than a shouting match with little in the way of coherence or more importantly nothing in the way of the rhetoric being held to account because of timing restrictions.

Johnson is the winner despite saying nothing of consequence. The format was ultimately a forlorn exercise for his challengers.

We are so screwed and it's going to be even worse for the Brits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Why in the name of God do they keep going on about Corbyn? He's a non-entity. Sooner Starmer takes over the better.

So when will Javid bow out ?

Probably tomorrow and his survival instinct will see him back Boris.

Rory is my guy but he didn't land a glove on Boris tonight so I think his race is effectively run :-(

2nd place is between Hunt and Gove now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

54&56 wrote: »
    The big (obvious) question for me is why those who advocate a tech solution to the British border in Ireland ( :-) ) still require a hard time limit on the backstop instead of their proposed solution passing a functional test in order for the backstop to be lifted.

The obvious question gets the obvious answer - it does not work and is impossible. There is no way a border in NI/Ireland can detect chlorinated chicken in the back of a white van, or GMO soya beans, or hormone fed beef.

So unless the whole of the UK can guarantee this, the border must exist some where - preferable in the sea, with NI guaranteeing the absence of the above (and any other contraband in the EU).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

That was dreadful

• Advertisement

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Why in the name of God do they keep going on about Corbyn? He's a non-entity. Sooner Starmer takes over the better.

Reminding their membership of the red under the bed. Yes he's an irrelevance but he's still a bogeyman to the people who will be voting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The obvious question gets the obvious answer - it does not work and is impossible. There is no way a border in NI/Ireland can detect chlorinated chicken in the back of a white van, or GMO soya beans, or hormone fed beef.

So unless the whole of the UK can guarantee this, the border must exist some where - preferable in the sea, with NI guaranteeing the absence of the above (and any other contraband in the EU).

Very little recognition of the fact that the UK have to have a border even if they do a WTO Brexit - else they are obliged to leave all of their borders fully open to all 163 other members of WTO (and without reciprocation)!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

54&56 wrote: »
    The big (obvious) question for me is why those who advocate a tech solution to the British border in Ireland ( :-) ) still require a hard time limit on the backstop instead of their proposed solution passing a functional test in order for the backstop to be lifted?

See
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1141063395787059201

The reason is because they they are dishonest negotiators.

They agreed to the backstop without really agreeing to it in reality, they just said they did to try and move the negotiations on to the next phase an then deal with it later and they try and threaten pulling the whole thing if the EU didn't backtrack because they feel the EU need them more than the UK needs the EU.

A similar trick is being tried here, promising technology that they know will not be ready or even exist to get rid of the backstop and when the time limit is gone the backstop is gone and there will be no technology solution. They are nothing but frauds who are compulsively dishonest in the way they are dealing with other parties because of their arrogant superiority complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

Dictators the world over could point to this and say to their people, look guys, this is where democracy leads you to :pac:

Pretty sure Johnson tripped himself up on the old GATT 24 banana skin there but think everybody was so bored by that stage they barely noticed.

If the UK does not import these items, then it's a non issue.
    The UK could insist on the same or higher food standards than the EU wrt to trade with other countries, they'll be within their rights to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dictators the world over could point to this and say to their people, look guys, this is where democracy leads you to :pac:

This is where populism gets you but Brits seem to think that populism is something that only happens in history books.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

If the UK does not import these items, then it's a non issue.
    The UK could insist on the same or higher food standards than the EU wrt to trade with other countries, they'll be within their rights to do so.

Ohh no....then they'd be bound by EU rules......heaven forbid!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Ohh no....then they'd be bound by EU rules......heaven forbid!
    Not really, they'll just replace the cover on the book and carry on, they may even impose tougher rules to avoid things like horse-meat contaminated beef products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

Rory Stewart is the only one that doesnt seem like a complete cnut

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement