Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Laois_Man wrote: »
    The Brexit Party have arrived in Brussels. These are the people who will be asking the EU to be more generous to them

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1141275808310419456

It wouldn't be out of place in a "Carry-on..." movie!

It's a full on propaganda assault... elites in fancy cars carrying on in secret behind closed doors...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's a full on propaganda assault... elites in fancy cars carrying on in secret behind closed doors...

I wonder what car JRM has?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The Brexit Party have arrived in Brussels. These are the people who will be asking the EU to be more generous to them

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1141275808310419456

It wouldn't be out of place in a "Carry-on..." movie!

It's a disgrace, they have cars and everything, even big car parks for them to park their dirty foreign makes of cars in, how dare they. Look at all that money they are throwing away on putting name badges on pigeon holes for our post, how do they get away with such a blatant waste of money. They even employ foreign people here to stop unauthorised people from filming inside government buildings, just who do they think they are? :eek:

Totally nuts the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I wonder what car JRM has?

The key is not showing that video. Or what Farage has. The man has lived very well off of backers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭trellheim

Beth rigby reporting Gove lunching with Stewart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭trellheim

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

trellheim wrote: »

Gavin Williamson who has been the Johnson enforcer and has played a huge role in the amount of MPS that have backed him from various elements of the party is very close to the DUP. That story has him written all over it.

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1141278499803672576

Also...

To be expected. Boris obviously going to backtrack with Raab out and the race over and despite what he may say he knows the Brexit that the likes of Steve Baker want would terrible for the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

trellheim wrote: »

Not that I was wavering in my support for Stewart in this particular beauty parade but the fact the Deeeee Youuuuuu Peeeeeee are dead against him removes any lingering doubts I may have had about him :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

I found this blog/website informative on the various Brexit trade issues.
    https://www.explaintrade.com/

Not sure who is running it but it should be required reading for Brexit slow learners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Dithering Corbyn has been given further cause for dither with a letter written to him by Labour⁩ MPs from leave areas opposing the party strengthening its stance on a second referendum or remaining....

15fc3d7d7a13434e1c1b34ffc914e103-full.jpg

They're a gas bunch over there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Dithering Corbyn has been given further cause for dither with a letter written to him by Labour⁩ MPs from leave areas opposing the party strengthening its stance on a second referendum or remaining....

Remarkably, 60% of seats won by Labour MPs voted Leave in 2016. No pressure...

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Gavin Williamson who has been the Johnson enforcer and has played a huge role in the amount of MPS that have backed him from various elements of the party is very close to the DUP. That story has him written all over it.

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1141278499803672576

Also...

To be expected. Boris obviously going to backtrack with Raab out and the race over and despite what he may say he knows the Brexit that the likes of Steve Baker want would terrible for the UK.

Even before he's elected, Johnson having trouble keeping both sides happy. Theresa May giggling into her G&T.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,321 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Even before he's elected, Johnson having trouble keeping both sides happy. Theresa May giggling into her G&T.

But there's no-one left in the race who can credibly out-Brexit him. So he tack as soft as he wants now and the ERG types will just have to suck it up and vote for him.

But there's no-one left in the race who can credibly out-Brexit him. So he tack as soft as he wants now and the ERG types will just have to suck it up and vote for him.

He doesn't even need to tack at this stage. If he didn't open his mouth at all, he'd be elected. The Brexit division is here to stay and it's paralysing British politics. Pretty soon, it will start paralysing the economy too. Car crash in slow motion. But look, the ERG types will be fine and the lower classes will blame Johnny Foreigner.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

Britain has a constitutional crisis they need to sort out before any of this Brexit will be finalised

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭Enzokk

That letter just takes all the information from those three elections where Labour just about held on and runs with what they want to see. Despite warnings that Labour would lose votes and vote share if they backed Brexit and this being replicated in the results, they still think leaving is the way to go.

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1140939099538436096

So YouGov has Labour working class leave voters at 15%. They are looking to placate 28% leave voters of their vote and they are losing from the 66% of their remain vote. Great idea, talk about shooting yourself in the foot while the opposition is busy self destructing.

Remarkably, 60% of seats won by Labour MPs voted Leave in 2016. No pressure...

They only get around 40% of the vote in any case, right? So all you need to do is win the remain vote and you are there to win the seat. This is not hard for Labour, but they are making it hard. The Brexit Party and the Tories will fight for the leave vote and Labour could have gotten the rest.

Enzokk wrote: »
    They only get around 40% of the vote in any case, right? So all you need to do is win the remain vote and you are there to win the seat. This is not hard for Labour, but they are making it hard. The Brexit Party and the Tories will fight for the leave vote and Labour could have gotten the rest.

Yeah, the remain vote is hopelessly (so far) split. If Corbyn backed remain, the Lib Dems would quickly fade away again. It would be interesting to do an analysis of the majorities of Leave Labour MPs. As would be an analysis of pro EU Tory MPs majorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Stewart out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

• Advertisement

Is it time to mention lunatics and asylums? These people make May seem like Arthur Scargill.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I thought yesterday's threshold was 33, what was it for today?

Not getting why it didn't go up enough to eliminate Javid as well today.

Yeah, the remain vote is hopelessly (so far) split. If Corbyn backed remain, the Lib Dems would quickly fade away again. It would be interesting to do an analysis of the majorities of Leave Labour MPs. As would be an analysis of pro EU Tory MPs majorities.

It would and I think it has been tried but I doubt it would make a difference to these MPs as they have dug in to their position now. I wonder what happened to the Corbyn promise of Labour Members helping craft the Labour policy. That policy would be to remain which would be the best for the country as almost every economists predicts. Those Labour MPs that wrote the letter are doing exactly what I am criticizing Mark Francois is doing, they are putting themselves ahead of the needs of their voters. The bad thing is they are doing it at the expense and against the will of their members as well.

robinph wrote: »
    I thought yesterday's threshold was 33, what was it for today?

Not getting why it didn't go up enough to eliminate Javid as well today.

Simply lowest was out today.

The TV debate did for Stewart last night, did not land the blows needed on Boris. I'l have to think about who is less awful at the moment excluding Boris and to a lesser extent Gove.

I suppose Javid might be a little better than Hunt and the gruesome twosome.

Enzokk wrote: »
    It would and I think it has been tried but I doubt it would make a difference to these MPs as they have dug in to their position now. I wonder what happened to the Corbyn promise of Labour Members helping craft the Labour policy. That policy would be to remain which would be the best for the country as almost every economists predicts. Those Labour MPs that wrote the letter are doing exactly what I am criticizing Mark Francois is doing, they are putting themselves ahead of the needs of their voters. The bad thing is they are doing it at the expense and against the will of their members as well.

TBF to Francois, loathsome as he is, he is articulating the will of a majority of the Tory party membership. Their voters, for the most part, are staunch Brexiteers. Or they have defected to Farage. The Labour MPs who wrote the letter are placing ideology and (almost certainly) constituency above party. You could argue that they might be right from their perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I think you also have to factor in those pro-leave MPs in remain voting constituencies, there are a lot of them. Likes of Steve Baker (6.5K majority) and Ian Duncan Smith (2.4k maj) who will be looking over their shoulder. Theresa Villiers has a 353 majority in a 58% remain constituency (in 2016 anyway). Kate Hoey, somehow, has a 20k majority but her constituency, notably, had the highest remain vote in the UK.

4 left all grim choices. I think lesser of all evils and its not saying much is Saj as he will be reliant on Stewart voters so hopefully that might stop him trying to out farage Farage.

Probably as pointless as debate though as asking who will win the leinster gaa final on sunday or the scotish premier league next season. :(

I think you also have to factor in those pro-leave MPs in remain voting constituencies, there are a lot of them. Likes of Steve Baker (6.5K majority) and Ian Duncan Smith (2.4k maj) who will be looking over their shoulder. Theresa Villiers has a 353 majority in a 58% remain constituency (in 2016 anyway). Kate Hoey, somehow, has a 20k majority but her constituency, notably, had the highest remain vote in the UK.

That's brightened my day! Except the Hoey bit.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    4 left all grim choices. I think lesser of all evils and its not saying much is Saj as he will be reliant on Stewart voters so hopefully that might stop him trying to out farage Farage.

Probably as pointless as debate though as asking who will win the leinster gaa final on sunday or the scotish premier league next season. :(

At least we'll be 500 million richer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

At least we'll be 500 million richer.

You can set that against the 6% drop in GDP that a hard Brexit will deliver.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement