Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

It's a bit more than that though.

Neighbour calls the police about a woman crying in distress, shouting 'Get out of my apartment' plus a bit more, and obvious domestic going on. Police arrive and verify that nothing untoward is reported by occupants.

So far so good.

Neighbour contacts Guardian about it and police deny event occurred. Guardian give details of incident number and details of vehicles attending. Police confirm story.

So story is - disturbance involving BJ and girlfriend. Police called. Police deny they were called. Police confirm they were called when confronted with details.

So Police are prepared to lie about serious domestic incident involving senior Tory. That is the story.

It's more than that actually. Apparently the neighbour recorded the shouting match and banging etc

Taken from the UK Independent website:-

The neighbour made a recording of the altercation, on which Mr Johnson can apparently be heard refusing to leave the flat and saying “get off my f***ing laptop”. On the tape, obtained by The Guardian, a woman’s voice can be heard complaining that a sofa had been damaged with red wine and saying: “You just don’t care for anything because you’re spoilt. You have no care for money or anything.”

Release the tape, release the tape........

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just a little sniff of whats to come, love this little bit of snark from the Guardian towards the police denial aswell:
    When contacted by the Guardian on Friday, police initially said they had no record of a domestic incident at the address. But when given the case number and reference number, as well as identification markings of the vehicles that were called out, police issued a statement saying: “At 00:24hrs on Friday, 21 June, police responded to a call from a local resident in [south London]. The caller was concerned for the welfare of a female neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,529 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ben Done wrote: »
    Boris is what people of his own class term a 'cad'.

In other words, his behaviour towards women is excused, by virtue of him being posh.

Edit: urban dictionary puts it better:

Problem for him is that he may have crossed in to bounder from cad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,317 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Guardian show how the media do a job correctly. They have obtained the case no and ref no, before talking to police. They had also listened to the recording.
    BBC make a bad judgement call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The BBC have a habit of jumping the wrong way due to editorial uncertainty and general lack of confidence - they are battling the government with regard to it's governance and funding on an ongoing basis. They also royally ****ed up with things like the Cliff Richard/Police swoop live on Breakfast News for which they rightly copped a lot of flak.

They'll come to this story eventually but right now they are glad Trump nearly started a new gulf war :)

• Advertisement

devnull wrote: »
    It's very notable that State TV (previously known as the BBC) is not covering this at all, despite the fact pretty much every other news outlet in the UK is and all the press are as well, but I guess it doesn't suit their agenda.

It shouldn't surprise me because the BBC are clearly agenda driven these days and cannot be relied on to deliver impartial news, but it just shows how far it has fallen and it should be disregarded s a proper news source.

I would be angry about paying for a TV License in the UK right now, since it seems like it is funding state sponsored news agendas for the purposes of the state rather than delivering impartial news.

They did report it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48721211
    The Guardian has reported police were called to the London home of Boris Johnson and his partner on Friday after a neighbour heard a loud argument.
    The paper said Carrie Symonds could be heard telling Mr Johnson to "get off me" and "get out of my flat".
    The Metropolitan Police told the BBC it "spoke to all occupants of the address, who were all safe and well".
    In a statement, it said "there was no cause for police action". A spokesman for Mr Johnson said: "No comment".
    The Guardian reported that a neighbour had told the newspaper they heard a woman screaming followed by "slamming and banging"

Oh here we are - Newsnight talking about this with David Grossman.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,119 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Anything interesting from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not a surprise. Imagine if two years ago, the cops had been called to Varadkar or Coveney's house when they were running for FG leader. That definitely would have made big headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

They gave it a very light touch and skipped on to discussing the issues to be discussed at the hustings tomorrow.

BBC tiptoeing very carefully around this.

• Advertisement

The fact the police are not taking action means that there's only a certain distance this can travel, it'll need a second angle and preferably from a different source (ie not a neighbour in the lefty Graun) for this to "haunt" Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Police were called to Boris Johnson's apartment after aa blazing row with his girlfriend last night. Getting more statesmanlike by the day is Boris. We must have all posted at the same time. LOL Somebody mentioned it earlier in the thread..

• Registered Users Posts: 54,119 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Wonder when we'll hear the recording?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,932 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think Johnson is trying to get out of the PM job now.

In fairness whether what happened in the flat is true or not, he is a cad and a bounder imo and won't get away with that when PM.

Betting he will exit stage left and leave it to his opponent. His ego has been massaged enough by now and he doesn't care anymore.

But if he does go for PM he will not last long anyway. Thinks he is clever. Maybe he is and has a few ideas up his sleeve. But he will have to behave and be a statesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,317 ✭✭✭✭Water John

AFAIK it's M/s Symonnd's flat and Boris is the lodger. That is why she's telling him to get out of her flat.
    BBC really trying to minimise it, one Times journo on trying to make it a story about the neighbour. Yeah, let's blame Watergate on Deep Throat.

Susan Boniface on Sky paper review is right, to kill the story Johnson has to have Symonnd's with him tomorrow in Birmingham, Hunt will now definitely have his wife with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Adam Fleming was unbelievable on brexitcast this week. Making out it was outrageous that the EU's climate change policy was vetoed by 3 countries. I mean you can't have it both ways. You can't have a highly effective and efficient EU that simultaneously respects the will of each country

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Anyone know were Fox disappeared to? Haven’t seen or heard him in a long time. Very Brexity for a few years , him and Davis sowed a lot of seed. Never hear of them now.

Has Johnson not got a pad of his own away from everything. Idiot.

It is not like he can't afford it. But divorce beckons now. So protection of assets is important.

That's next after the shouting and breaking of plates in the girlfriend's flat.

Sounds like a great PM.

But it is either a plot against him, or he wants to bail out of the poisoned chalice. Either way he comes across as a gob****e.

But the Tories deserve him. Pity that democracy didn't apply WRT to his elevation though. Oh no, it is confined to Tory membership. That's nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,317 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well given his, ahem, colourful personal history, who knows?:p I thought something might crop up to disqualify him in the post #metoo era.

Ha, maybe I was right after all.:p Don't think this rises to the level of impeachment unless there are 'further developments' though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Why was Boris in such a bad humour? He was about to be appointed as Prime Minister. He should have been kicking back with cigars. Was he worried about some other story breaking?

Has he now created a story that supercedes a possible story he was worried about? I just can't keep up with British politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

If I'm a Tory MP, I'm thinking that maybe Hunt is looking squeaky clean right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,317 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If I'm a Tory MP, I'm thinking that maybe Hunt is looking squeaky clean right now.

Not up to MPs from now on. I'm sure all Tories knew they weren't getting a choirboy in Boris Johnson. As it were...

I think that is what Johnson wants right now.

His ego has been massaged. he knows he is top dog but passing on the poisoned chalice might be something he would gloat at also.

We will see in time I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

Adam Fleming was unbelievable on brexitcast this week. Making out it was outrageous that the EU's climate change policy was vetoed by 3 countries. I mean you can't have it both ways. You can't have a highly effective and efficient EU that simultaneously respects the will of each country
    A few years ago the UK Eurosceptic complaint was that the EU was imposing climate change policy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

But the Tories deserve him. Pity that democracy didn't apply WRT to his elevation though. Oh no, it is confined to Tory membership. That's nice.
    And complaints about the lack of "democracy" in the EU, while their PM and entire approach to Brexit is decided by 160,000 paid up Tory member.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Dante7 wrote: »
    Why was Boris in such a bad humour? He was about to be appointed as Prime Minister. He should have been kicking back with cigars. Was he worried about some other story breaking?

Has he now created a story that supercedes a possible story he was worried about? I just can't keep up with British politics.

Few too many chardonnay's to celebrate? There's something highly odd about this story I can't quite put my finger on. Will be interesting to see if any more information comes out.

In the meantime, the Tories look worse than usual and they are every inch a party at war. BoJo will hardly be PM for very long.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: No more "Torygraph" stuff please. Post deleted.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Whatever way this all shakes out I hope someone somewhere remembers to give Tony Connolly an award. And lots of money.
    His coverage has been outstanding. A clear and accurate voice in the neverending storm of bs and agenda.

The Brits don’t have a single journalist that can hold a candle to him. Which is a real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭Enzokk

And yet every country can decide on its own to adopt the regulations on climate change that has been vetoed. That is the argument put forth by the UK, they can still adopt the EU regulations outside the EU, but it is also true for those inside the EU as well. They don't have to wait for the EU before making changes, they can do it themselves and when it is adopted by the EU your country is already compliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Whatever way this all shakes out I hope someone somewhere remembers to give Tony Connolly an award. And lots of money.
    His coverage has been outstanding. A clear and accurate voice in the neverending storm of bs and agenda.

The Brits don’t have a single journalist that can hold a candle to him. Which is a real shame.

Another peach of an article on the website this morning on the alternative arrangements fantasy. It's a long one but should be required reading for anyone looking for a clearer understanding of the issues involved.

I would say, though, that there are definitely some good reporters in the UK, its just they get more easily drowned out by those not either doing their homework or just maliciously spreading biased agendas. Two of my go-to media people would be Anand Menon and Jonathan Freedland who i find to be on the money on nearly all the issues, though i suppose both being committed remainers would tend to chime with my own view of things. Danny Finklestein on the other side, or at least centre tory ground, is generally a beacon of good sense too i find.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement