Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

VinLieger wrote: »
    And if SF hypothetically took their westminster seats and behaved like this for god save the queen these are the very people who would literally be calling for their heads, they are disgusting self serving hypocrites

In your opinion. They have been voted in there by the British electorate and i respect that wish and their wish to make the protest.

And if SF hypothetically took their westminster seats and behaved like this for god save the queen these are the very people who would literally be calling for their heads, they are disgusting self serving hypocrites
    Unlike SF who show their disrespect by not showing up at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

Agreed. They could do the dignified form of protest and just not show up. Instead they are there to attempt to be as disruptive as possible, while taking every cent they can get.

If SF turned up in London and just ranted and raved all day, they’d do their own cause no good at all.

Not only that but the EU isn’t keeping the UK in. They can leave tomorrow morning if they want. They just can’t magic away the practical consequences of that move.

This is why I’m fed up with brexiteers. They’re basically attempting to paint themselves in the same light as actual independence movements that struggled against British imperialism (the very thing they seem to worship), when they’re basically demanding to leave a peaceful, democratic, voluntary membership, multilateral organisation, while keeping all the benefits and throwing a huge tantrum about it.

I found the comparisons to Irish independence absolutely disgusting. I’m standing in Cork, a city that was burnt to the ground by crown forces for daring to leave the UK. The Brexit situation is absolutely nothing remotely like that. If they want to go they can go. Nobody is stopping them, in fact the EU has bent over backwards to come up with a solution to allow them to leave without major trauma and they more or less spat at them and threw in their face.

They’re utterly deluded and they’re selling themselves other people’s historical victimhood. For all the talk of cultural appropriation, I think this is by far the worst and most deluded that I’ve ever seen anywhere.

They’ll be claiming the American revolution next.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Unlike SF who show their disrespect by not showing up at all!

While i dont agree with SF's stance its far more principled and grown up than what the brexit party have just done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

In your opinion. They have been voted in there by the British electorate and i respect that wish and their wish to make the protest.
    Would your respect extend to condoning their collective inaction as Parliamentarians, out of curiosity?

You know, as in 'not doing the job which the British electorate voted them in for'.

(conditional used, since we're talking about the shiny new, rebranded 'Brexit Party' MEPs, not the decade+ old UKIP MEPs)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Given that we're talking about it here, shows how successful a stunt it was.

Can we not give it any further oxygen of publicity?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

serfboard wrote:

Oh please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

After the meat producer shenanigans that precipitated the horse meat scandal here some years ago or the Irish contaminated pig meat scandal, I do not have much confidence in meat producers wherever they are whether from Ireland, Europe, Brazil or Argentina.
    Every time I sit down to eat a steak, I think to myself, is this the one that's going to do me over?

The fact that they were all discovered before they did any harm to the general public is testatament as to how good the EU's (and particularly the Irish) testing and traceability system is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Nobody has suggested that they don't have the right to do what they did. However, what they did was pig ignorant.

Nobody has suggested that they don't have the right to do what they did. However, what they did was pig ignorant.

And childish so basically a prime example of the whole brexiteer mindset

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »

Well, it got everyone's attention, that's for sure, they don't want to be there.

serfboard wrote: »

I dunno how successful it was. It might have the staunch Leavers chuckling and clapping. But they're not the majority in Britain. I think most British people would be appalled and embarrassed to be associated with such behaviour. Or I hope so anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Johnson out redefining what BRexit will be. This is a far cry from £350m per week for the NHS.
    People say that there won’t be any clean drinking water, and the planes won’t fly, and there won’t be milk solids and glucose and whey to make Mars bars. Do you really believe that? It is total nonsense. I prophesy very confidently that we will have a successful Brexit, the planes will fly, there will be clean drinking water, and there will be whey for the Mars bars, because where there’s a will, there’s a whey, as I never tire of saying.

So basically once there is drinking water (the UK is a 1st world country lest anyone forgot!) Johnson will see it as a good outcome?

I can see why they didn't lead with that during the campaign

I dunno how successful it was. It might have the staunch Leavers chuckling and clapping. But they're not the majority in Britain. I think most British people would be appalled and embarrassed to be associated with such behaviour. Or I hope so anyway.
    Meanwhile outside the EU parliament, Catalan separatists staged a protest about being refused entry to the Parliament.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48838498

What happened at the Parliament?

Outside parliament, hundreds of Catalan demonstrators protested that three separatist figures were unable to take their seats, as inside the chamber fellow MEPs placed three photos of the missing members on their desks.

Ex-Catalan president Carles Puigdemont and colleague Toni Comin were barred from taking their seats because they fled to Brussels after a banned referendum on independence went ahead and did not attend a swearing-in ceremony in Madrid as required. Another separatist leader, Oriol Junqueras is on trial in Spain and in detention.
    Irish Sinn Féin MEP Matt Carthy warned that the parliament's credibility would be undermined if it did not stand up for the voters of Catalonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Reading the Twitter responses, it looks like it has caused total disgust in Britain and there are surprisingly few messages of support.

It was also telling that Johnson was unwilling to make any statement on the equality law differences between NI and GB. He said that it was up to NI.

But what about Brexit? Well the UK voted for that so in that case NI doesn't matter I assume.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Reading the Twitter responses, it looks like it has caused total disgust in Britain and there are surprisingly few messages of support.

Hopefully it's backfired spectacularly.

One must also comment on the Lib Dems all wearing yellow "Bollocks to Brexit" t-shirts into the EU today.

Just like the BP, this parliament is not supposed to be a place to argue out national issues, but MEP's (whilst of course arguing for their electorate) are supposed to take the EU as a whole rather than simply national issues.

The UK HoC is the place for this sort of carry on.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    One must also comment on the Lib Dems all wearing yellow "Bollocks to Brexit" t-shirts into the EU today.

Just like the BP, this parliament is not supposed to be a place to argue out national issues, but MEP's (whilst of course arguing for their electorate) are supposed to take the EU as a whole rather than simply national issues.

And this specifically is the problem, the HoC in its current form is a joke, however like with the UKIP MEP's very few if any of the BP MEP's have ever been elected as an MP so they think stupid actions such as this are what being an elected representative is about as it is similar to the petty theatrics they've seen play out in westminster over the past 3 years.

The likes of widdecombe should know better but id agree with the speculation she may be going senile

• Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Leroy42 wrote: »

I think they might have gotten away with the 'Stop Brexit' logo on the front, but the other one on the back was too much to wear into a Parliament

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Meanwhile outside the EU parliament, Catalan separatists staged a protest about being refused entry to the Parliament.

That's down to the Spanish government though, not the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The anthem of the council of Europe comprising 47 countries and the flag of the council of Europe is the same as the EU anthem and flag.
    The UK will remain a member of the council of Europe after Brexit.
    The Brexit party just showed how ignorant they are when it comes to Europe.

Right now, the Brexit Party's ignorance is on the front page of Der Spiegel, Le Figaro, El Pais and Corriere della Sera

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48838498

Don't have any sympathy for them, in particular Puigdemont.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Right now, the Brexit Party's ignorance is on the front page of Der Spiegel, Le Figaro, El Pais and Corriere della Sera

They are not totally ignorant - at least they recognised it as the EU anthem. Apart from that - completely ill mannered and ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

They are not totally ignorant - at least they recognised it as the EU anthem. Apart from that - completely ill mannered and ignorant.

As my dear mother would say, no point being ignorant unless you show it.

Silly little people do silly little things. Thats seven more words than this deserves.

Christ..... Daly and Wallace wore "free assange" t-shirts, they are nearly as much of an embarrassment

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

RobertKK wrote: »
    The anthem of the council of Europe comprising 47 countries and the flag of the council of Europe is the same as the EU anthem and flag.
    The UK will remain a member of the council of Europe after Brexit.
    The Brexit party just showed how ignorant they are when it comes to Europe.
    You're talking about a party that thinks Gay conversion therapy works; they really don't have anything to show when it comes to ignorance at this stage short of stating that the earth is flat or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

You can tell Farage is worried about it backfiring when he goes in front of the camera's and gives a totally dishonest account of what happened

His description here in no way matches the full footage here where they were sniggering after precisely 8 seconds and standing with their back turned right from the start of the anthem!
    They actually don't, brian crowley had the lowest attendance record for the last 2 EU parliaments and got paid as well as collected his expenses

And Farage's attendance wasn't much better. It's only the first day of term. My mate in school used to mitch 99% of school days but always showed up for the first day of the new school year. No difference here. You won't see them in those seats next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Couple of observations about todays tory party hustings that may or may not have been previously mentioned:

Johnson prattles on ad nauseum about the supposed horrors of Corbyn and the most dangerous cabal ever getting their hands on the reins of power and leading the country to disaster when it is Johnson himself and his ever more dangerous cabal that is hurtling the UK ever closer to the cliff face and a chaos not seen since the last world war. Go figure.

Hunt looks out over his grey suited and grey haired audience and declares solemnly that we need more younger people to join the Conservative Party. In other words, you people gathered here are the problem and need to be replaced, but please vote for me in the leadership contest anyway. I know, albeit by his own estimation, that Hunt is the greatest entrepreneur that ever lived in the history of the galaxy but i'm increasingly of the notion that he really isn't the brightest spark in the room at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement