Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Ring of Kerry be done with 4 weeks preparation ?

Options
  • 26-05-2019 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭

Hi All.....

Jan to May this year just manic both on work life and on home front.

Have done the ROK the last past 5 years... but haven't got on a bike this year yet!

Am in the Over 50's age bracket..... could I get in the preparations in 4 weeks???

Can do the following

Week 1 . 3 x 35 kms runs
    Week 2 3 x 35 kms runs
    Week 3 2 x 35 km and 1 x 80 km (including hills)
    Week 4 3 x 35 km and 1 x 80 km (including hills)
    and maybe 2 x 35km the Tue & Thurs before the Sat Ring

What ye think??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I just did the Beara, that was only the 2nd cycle over 100k I have done in the last 9 months. I did a bit more training than 4 weeks but if you pace yourself appropriately you could do it. I trained hard for 3 weeks combining cycling and running (was also trying to lose weight to help). I reckon give the training week 1 plan a go and make your decision then, if you feel ok then go for it. I would put a 50km in for the last run of week 1 and add some more kms, after week 1, 35 won't add too much to the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Masala wrote: »
    Hi All.....

Jan to May this year just manic both on work life and on home front.

Have done the ROK the last past 5 years... but haven't got on a bike this year yet!

Am in the Over 50's age bracket..... could I get in the preparations in 4 weeks???

Can do the following

Week 1 . 3 x 35 kms runs
    Week 2 3 x 35 kms runs
    Week 3 2 x 35 km and 1 x 80 km (including hills)
    Week 4 3 x 35 km and 1 x 80 km (including hills)
    and maybe 2 x 35km the Tue & Thurs before the Sat Ring

What ye think??

Are you limited by time/work to The above programme?

If it were me for week 1&2 I’d try and get out 6 days a week with one rest day and week 3 and 4 go out 3 times during the week and once for a 100km spin at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Masala wrote: »
    ...What ye think??
    Cut out that running. Save your legs for cycling only.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If your fitness was well above the requirement last year then getting back enough to complete it this year should be possible. If you were in bits at the end last year then I'd be dubious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

We have a member in our club that does the 110km ring of beara every year with no training, he does not cycle until a week before beara and goes out then 3 days a week and does 40km and then off to Beara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 magentur

Think there are lots of people do the Ring of Kerry with little or no training. You'll be grand.
    Although as Wishbone Ash suggested maybe do 35km cycles instead of 35km runs. Different muscles used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

magentur wrote: »
    Think there are lots of people do the Ring of Kerry with little or no training. You'll be grand.
    Although as Wishbone Ash suggested maybe do 35km cycles instead of 35km runs. Different muscles used.

Cycling the ring of Kerry is probably easier than a 35km run which is almost a marathon!
    Similar level of effort but cycling is much easier on the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

run
    1. move at a speed faster than a walk, never having both or all the feet on the ground at the same time.

Cycling meets this definition. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Lumen wrote: »
    run
    1. move at a speed faster than a walk, never having both or all the feet on the ground at the same time.

Cycling meets this definition. :D

Who did they make the above distinction for??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Who did they make the above distinction for??!!
    Animals can run too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Animals can run too!

I'm clearly not a morning person! :o

Advertisement