Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Istanbul, Turkey: Recommend best deals

• 27-05-2019 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

We are a couple and planning to visit Istanbul, Turkey for 7-8 days in last week of June and first week of July.

Checked ebookers, last-minutedeals, Expedia, for flight + Hotel deals. It's coming at around 1500 euros for 2 persons including room and flights (meals not included).

Anyone could recommend a better deal? Or any other suggestion please?

Comments

That's not bad for 2 people for a week. Flights are usually between 350-450 Euro. You could book flights yourself & shop around for hotel deals or air b&b.
    7 or 8 days is a long time in Istanbul, it will be very very hot, go somewhere with a/c & a pool would be my advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Hey,

Thanks for the advice.

Will check hotel and plane tickets separately now.

Is there any other city nearby Istanbul that we could visit for 2 days?
    bubblypop wrote: »
    That's not bad for 2 people for a week. Flights are usually between 350-450 Euro. You could book flights yourself & shop around for hotel deals or air b&b.
    7 or 8 days is a long time in Istanbul, it will be very very hot, go somewhere with a/c & a pool would be my advice.

Don't really know any nearby cities, only a plane journey away, So can't help there I'm afraid.
    Maybe just outside the city along the coast somewhere could be nice for few days.
    Someone on here will know somewhere for sure!

Any other member got suggestions/advice please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

350 to 400 is stupid money for flights. There are other airlines other than Turkish airlines out there. You can easily fly via Stansted, Paris or Frankfurt for half that. Don't fall into that trap. Turkish operate that flight as a feeder into their onward services to the middle east and beyond and it is priced accordingly. Use skyscanner to find the real deals.

Look on hotels.com and you will see much better deals for hotels. You can find good hotels in the centre/Taksim for €50-60 a night. There is no need to be paying much more than that.

As for nearby cities, Bursa is the closest but still a few hours away. Also the capital Ankara is easily reachable by high speed train.

• Advertisement

That's true OP, if you can travel with just carry on luggage & don't mind transferring, you could fly a bit cheaper.

I flew DUB-IST via CDG for €80 only a few weeks ago.

Could I check with you what website did you use please?

And thanks to everyone. I am looking at booking hotel and flights separately now.
    I flew DUB-IST via CDG for €80 only a few weeks ago.

I just did a search on Skyscanner and it found me the flight with Air France and thus booked direct with them.

With Skyscanner just untick the direct flights only box and it will show you all the connections.

Great, that's what I am doing. Perhaps June July is holiday period and prices have gone up.
    I will keep an eye.

Thank you!
    I just did a search on Skyscanner and it found me the flight with Air France and thus booked direct with them.

With Skyscanner just untick the direct flights only box and it will show you all the connections.

• Advertisement

Do you guys think it's better to rent a car for Istanbul? Or public transport is good enough with reasonable rates?

Madness to have a car in Istanbul. Public transport with the Istanbul Kart is for peanuts. Taxis are reasonably priced also.

Grand.

Is it 1 kart per person?
    Madness to have a car in Istanbul. Public transport with the Istanbul Kart is for peanuts. Taxis are reasonably priced also.

Yes, 1 card per person. All public transport is cashless so you need to recharge the cards periodically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Hey,

Thanks for the advice.

Will check hotel and plane tickets separately now.

Is there any other city nearby Istanbul that we could visit for 2 days?
    Bodrum,but you’d have to fly for an hour,€50 or €60 fares

I have been googling and found that 1 Istanbul Kart could be used for upto 5 passengers.

Yes, 1 card per person. All public transport is cashless so you need to recharge the cards periodically.

Found Izmir interesting too.
    Mortelaro wrote: »
    Bodrum,but you’d have to fly for an hour,€50 or €60 fares

Found Izmir interesting too.

When you are in Istanbul,take a taxi to the four seasons Bosphorus wearing your best shorts and short sleeved shirt,they won't turn you away, just say you're there for drinks if asked
    Wander through the lobby and impressive building to the lounging area at the waterfront, Grab a relaxing couple of deck chairs and while away the afternoon people watching and river watching the comings and goings,being waited on hand and foot by the staff there ,having some beer or wine and some food
    Its beautiful, you won't regret it the views are impressive and it's an oasis away from the hustle and bustle

One word of warning though,when you see the pool and jacuzzi which is beside the waterfront, your other half may want you to move hotels
    Best to resist this :D

(Its the Bosphorus four seasons I'm sending you to,theres another one called sulphanmet near the blue mosque, so make sure the taxi brings you to 'the four seasons bosphorus one)

I love Pools and Jacuzzi, so it looks like we can spend the whole trip at the Four Seasons :)

But thanks for the nice advice, much appreciated.

Could anyone recommend a pass which allows us to enter the tourist attractions? Or is it better to pay individually?

• Advertisement

I love Pools and Jacuzzi, so it looks like we can spend the whole trip at the Four Seasons :)

But thanks for the nice advice, much appreciated.

Could anyone recommend a pass which allows us to enter the tourist attractions? Or is it better to pay individually?

If you're staying there all the better,theres a super waterfront restaurant that does an almighty breakfast buffet
    Its actually fascinating hearing the call to prayer ringing out from mosques all over the place at the same time
    DO NOT be tempted to take the offer from taxis of city tours,you'll end up in their cousins carpet show room :D
    The city is awesome with lots to see Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

8 days in Istanbul is a long time, we were there last September for 5 days, walking about 20-25 kms a day, we loved the city but had pretty much run out of things to see. We then rented a car and drove south towards a small place called Didim, it was a crappy beach resort but surrounded by amazing historical sites. Then we drove to Pamukkale which was OK, but some of the sites around it once again were amazing.

If i went back, I would like to get to see Cappadoccia, I believe that internal flights are cheap, so you could also try going there rather than hiring a car.

Just remember that in summer it will be HOT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Did you try Aegean Air? They fly Istanbul via Athens (overnight) and it was like 120 euro one way (we are traveling onwards), much cheaper than Turkish.

Thank you, will keep this in mind and check out if Cappadocia could fit in our budget. We plan to be there for 5 or 6 days now.
    smurfjed wrote: »
    8 days in Istanbul is a long time, we were there last September for 5 days, walking about 20-25 kms a day, we loved the city but had pretty much run out of things to see. We then rented a car and drove south towards a small place called Didim, it was a crappy beach resort but surrounded by amazing historical sites. Then we drove to Pamukkale which was OK, but some of the sites around it once again were amazing.

If i went back, I would like to get to see Cappadoccia, I believe that internal flights are cheap, so you could also try going there rather than hiring a car.

Just remember that in summer it will be HOT.

Just checked it now. It's actually more expensive for last week of June, costing 1300 for return for 2 persons.

I suppose I just need to check everyday and may get lucky.
    AngryLips wrote: »
    Did you try Aegean Air? They fly Istanbul via Athens (overnight) and it was like 120 euro one way (we are traveling onwards), much cheaper than Turkish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Personally, if you wanted to fly there a bit cheaper then maybe fly Aer Lingus to Izmir, spend a couple days to see Ephesus, then onward to Istanbul for 4/5 days then fly back with Aegean if it's cheap.

Ryanair fly to Dalaman. That will be the absolute cheapest for a direct to Turkey flight.

I have tried this minus the fly back with Aegean and it was 770 euros for 2 persons.

Will check return with Aegean now.

I live near Shannon Airport but happy to travel to Dublin if good rates are available.
    Personally, if you wanted to fly there a bit cheaper then maybe fly Aer Lingus to Izmir, spend a couple days to see Ephesus, then onward to Istanbul for 4/5 days then fly back with Aegean if it's cheap.

Shannon, that is the reason you are getting such high prices. Dublin is the only game in town for flights to Turkey and that neck of the woods.

• Advertisement

I checked Dublin prices most of the times. Only a few times I checked from Shannon.

Just checked Dublin to Dalaman and its costing 850 for 2 persons return.
    Shannon, that is the reason you are getting such high prices. Dublin is the only game in town for flights to Turkey and that neck of the woods.

Checked Air Lingus flights now, Dublin to Izmir is coming out for 850 for 2 adults one way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

How long does the high speed train take to reach Ankara.?
    Approx cost return.?
    Is Ankara actually worth visiting?

https://www.seat61.com/Turkey2.htm

Istanbul to Ankara is 4 hours. Fare is 70 Lira one way.

Not been in Ankara in years but from memory it is a very modern city full of museums and monuments to Attaturk.

Use Google flights and pick your dates,the green prices are the cheapest
    You can get BUSINESS class to Istanbul on Lufthansa or Swiss via Munich Frankfurt for less than €400 each on any number of dates that I've just checked
    Yes Business class with all the perks including longer access with free booze and snacks away from the airport crowds and a meal on both flights with unlimited booze

Another good idea is to go onto any of the travel sites and book the cheapest dingiest hotel possible plus flights and then just use the flights whilst booking into and staying in a better hotel

It can often work out cheaper even with the dingey hotel that you won't be staying in
    It has no impact on the flights validity if you don't use the hotel voucher

I have checked Google flights and return coming up for 770 euros for 2 persons, economy class.

Do you think it will turn out cheaper if I book single one way trips?

Going to look at cheapest hotel deals also now.
    Use Google flights and pick your dates,the green prices are the cheapest
    You can get BUSINESS class to Istanbul on Lufthansa or Swiss via Munich Frankfurt for less than €400 each on any number of dates that I've just checked
    Yes Business class with all the perks including longer access with free booze and snacks away from the airport crowds and a meal on both flights with unlimited booze

Another good idea is to go onto any of the travel sites and book the cheapest dingiest hotel possible plus flights and then just use the flights whilst booking into and staying in a better hotel

It can often work out cheaper even with the dingey hotel that you won't be staying in
    It has no impact on the flights validity if you don't use the hotel voucher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

One way fares are usually more expensive.

As there are just two of you, have you considered changing your destination? There are some amazing cities in that part of Europe, so why stick to Istanbul?

Ryanair to Bratislava is about €120 each, which might be more within your budget.

Ah ok.

Yea it's just two of us.

Wanted to see bit of Asia actually. Been to holidays in Europe/USA and wanted to try something different this time. But yea our holiday budget is not huge this year.

smurfjed wrote: »
    One way fares are usually more expensive.

As there are just two of you, have you considered changing your destination? There are some amazing cities in that part of Europe, so why stick to Istanbul?

Ryanair to Bratislava is about €120 each, which might be more within your budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thank you, will keep this in mind and check out if Cappadocia could fit in our budget. We plan to be there for 5 or 6 days now.

If you can somehow tag on 3 days/2 nights in Cappadocia then do, it is spectactular and there is only a few places in the world where you can see that type of scenery. Its also said to be the cheapest place in the world to go hot air ballooning, which Id highly recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭crashadder

have a look at the video blog below (there are videos about Kapadokya, Bodrum in the playlist etc). i am Turkish (born and raised in Istanbul) and i must say i have learned few new things about Turkey myself. :-) happy to help if you have any questions.

Istanbul is a huge city. You need at least a month to visit places that are worth visiting. Tourists however are generally not aware of those places (not all of em anyway) . For instance they completely ignore the asian side of istanbul where you can find loads of cool places to visit and in general much modern and quite compared to the European.

P.S Whatever you decide to do please do yourself a favor and go and have breakfast in Bebek, a posh area near Boshporus with spectacular restaurants and atmosphere. I took an Irish friend there back in May and he still wouldn't shut up about it :-). The name of the place is Emirgan Sutis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfsVLRVwfLA&list=PLYLi7gA3tKMSknX2xIAd-rm0DX1jkHjHe&index=2

Thanks crashadder.

We are still looking for air tickets. Hoping prices may drop. Getting quotes for 600 for 2 persons at the moment, with 1 stop in between from Dublin to Istanbul.

• Advertisement

That is more like it for prices. That Lufthansa or Air France?

256 per person
    2 stops though
    Birmingham and bodrum

If it were me,I'd do Bodrum on the beach for the weekand fly up to Istanbul for a day or 2

The Birmingham Bodrom flights are on Thomson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

16 hours each way, two stops and separate tickets. That's insanity for a saving of €40. Even for €100 it would still be crazy.

Thanks so much.

It's a self transfer while changing at airports and risk of missing connection flights. Also duration is very long. Will be too tired to enjoy anything when we reach our destination.

I appreciate your efforts and sending the screenshot.
    256 per person
    2 stops though
    Birmingham and bodrum

If it were me,I'd do Bodrum on the beach for the weekand fly up to Istanbul for a day or 2

The Birmingham Bodrom flights are on Thomson

VG31 wrote: »
    16 hours each way, two stops and separate tickets. That's insanity for a saving of €40. Even for €100 it would still be crazy.

Aye,I'd be doing the €400 Lufthansa business class 1 stop flight
    I look at Google flights a lot vicariously for the crack anyway so don't mind throwing up what I see

What route is this business class? I am looking for last week of June, 26 June and after... and return first week of July. Dublin to Istanbul for 2 persons. Could you see any good flights please?
    Aye,I'd be doing the €400 Lufthansa business class 1 stop flight
    I look at Google flights a lot vicariously for the crack anyway so don't mind throwing up what I see

What route is this business class? I am looking for last week of June, 26 June and after... and return first week of July. Dublin to Istanbul for 2 persons. Could you see any good flights please?

It's gone up now unfortunately to between 4 and 500 euros
    It was circa 380 when I first posted it,an absolute bargain via Munich which is an easy same terminal transfer with no faffing about as bags go all the way and you'd be put on next flight if delayed
    Via Munich to Bodrum is circa 600 atm business class

For some reason depending on dates,theres only a 100 or two in the difference between business and economy on Lufthansa
    If I see a good far I'll post it,but you'd want to be ready to jump :eek:

Edit Athens is around €400 for those dates in business on air France if you want to island hop instead
    Ath ist is dear enough though
    Play with Google flights often and be prepared to bite

I presume it's the end of June NEXT year you're looking for ie 2020 and not next week?
    You won't see any published fares more than 365 ahead

If its next week, you're goosed unless you want to take one of the business class offers because flights will be full and priced accordingly

I am looking for 2019.

Hoping some last minute deal.
    I presume it's the end of June NEXT year you're looking for ie 2020 and not next week?
    You won't see any published fares more than 365 ahead

If its next week, you're goosed unless you want to take one of the business class offers because flights will be full and priced accordingly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

Holiday discount center have last minute deals to Alanya in turkey at the end of June for €177 flights and hotel. There are 5 flights a day from there to Istanbul for less than €50 return. You could use the hotel in Alanya as your base and fly down to Istanbul for a few days

https://m.holidaydiscountcentre.ie/resultsv2.php?sun_destination=ADB,AYT,BJV,DLM&departure_airport=DUB&departure_date=2019-06-26&flexibility=0&duration=7&board=SC&stars=0&dosearch=1&st=1&sn=homepage

• Advertisement
Advertisement