Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paternity Leave

• 27-05-2019 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My missus is due next month. I have applied for the two weeks paternity leave (three days paid, seven unpaid).

There's an additional two weeks planned under new legislation in November of this year.

Will i be entitled to take this also?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Hi,

My missus is due next month. I have applied for the two weeks paternity leave (three days paid, seven unpaid).

There's an additional two weeks planned under new legislation in November of this year.

Will i be entitled to take this also?

No, as far as I know it applies to babies born after November, but I stand to be corrected on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

jlm29 wrote: »
    No, as far as I know it applies to babies born after November, but I stand to be corrected on that!

Thanks, i was thinking that myself initially. If the leave is guaranteed within the first year the baby is born, i wonder could it be applied retrospectively?

Another future Dad at an antenatal class told me this would be the case. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Thanks, i was thinking that myself initially. If the leave is guaranteed within the first year the baby is born, i wonder could it be applied retrospectively?

Another future Dad at an antenatal class told me this would be the case. :D

It depends on the wording of it, but I think they have said that it will only be given in the first year of babies born after November. I originally hoped to be able to avail of it myself, but apparently it was discussed and clarified on some radio or tv show (second hand information, a friend told me this), and it seems I won’t get it for my July baby either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

The wording is for babies born after 1st November.

I'm on paternity leave at the moment. I don't qualify for paid parental leave.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/pressoffice/Pages/PR230419.aspx

Under the scheme, both parents will have access to two weeks each (non-transferrable) benefit for babies born from this November, which will be paid at the same rate as Maternity Benefit and Paternity Benefit - €245 per week. It is intended to incrementally increase this to up to seven weeks parental leave over the next three years in line with Government announcement for Budget 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Thanks lads. I thought it sounded too good to be true. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement