Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minor accident

Options
  • 27-05-2019 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

I had a minor accident back in Jan 2019 with cyclist.
    No damage done to cyclist or his bike.
    Guards came back to me and said they are not pursuing the case any further.
    Now insurance company want to send out investigator to check scene of accident etc and get my statement.
    I filled in accident report a few months ago and I thought that was the end of it.

Are the guards supposed to provide me with an accident report?
    Sorry this is my first time ever in an accident,so i don't know how it works.

My insurance is up for renewal now and other insurance companies are saying they won't quote me as there is a possible claim still open under my name.
    Advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Has the cyclist lodged a claim with your insurance? If there was no personal injury and the Garda said he wasn't taking it further there will be no Garda 'accident report'. In most cases, the Gardai wont even turn up for a trivial accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Because the law allows a person up to two years to indicate their intention to claim for personal injuries, your insurers want to gather as much detail as possible while it is relatively fresh. It is in your interest (and a policy condition) to assist them in every way you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Get a solicitor.

ebbsy wrote: »
    Get a solicitor.

Why? His insurers are handling any potential claim and are investigating the scene and taking statements to allow them defend his position. Your own solicitor is not permitted to get involved in this process

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

it was a teenage cyclist....no claim lodged....problem is i can't get a quote on insurance now until they have investigated the claim....

• Advertisement

thebourke wrote:
    it was a teenage cyclist....no claim lodged....problem is i can't get a quote on insurance now until they have investigated the claim....

A teenager has up to 2 years from when he/she reaches 18 years of age to indicate their intention to lodge a claim. Hence the need to gather the facts now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Gardai don't do reports but a file on pulse will be most likely.

Give all details to insurer and go with them and go through what happened....

I've had a similar incident where cyclist shot up with no brakes and over the bonnet as I was already in the process of turning into a driveway, I had indicated, was close to the left and had been looking in mirror and he still managed to mount the path and go across the bonnet....

Guards were looking for me and family calling at house and even got one of the sisters number.

I contacted the guards and they knew nothing and I got in contact with the family and made it clear what had went down and stated if they contacted my sister again they would be looking at a harassment claim ...

Never heard another thing about it.

Unfortunately as above until fully shut insurance will be a pain and possibly go up in premium too.

I had this happen also as another driver claimed and I was hit with a huge increase which I never got back even when found not at fault and no payout....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Why? His insurers are handling any potential claim and are investigating the scene and taking statements to allow them defend his position. Your own solicitor is not permitted to get involved in this process

Some muscle behind the hustle.

A few hundred paid out could save a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ebbsy wrote: »
    Some muscle behind the hustle.

Read the thread. Four months after the 'accident', the cyclist has not lodged a claim.

Paying a solicitor to engage with a would-be claimant would be a tactical disaster. He would sniff money straight away and go to an ambulance chaser personal injury lawyer.

ebbsy wrote:

You would be paying a few hundred to a solicitor who would not be able to participate in any aspect of the defence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

does anybody know if you can get insurance as a named driver if there is a possible claim open in your name?

Advertisement