Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to dundalk?

Options
  • 27-05-2019 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

I'd really appreciate some help. We are living in dublin but seriously considering moving to dundalk as rent has gone crazy. We are paying 2600 per month which is totally unsustainable.

I have a 3 Yr old so want to get her settled before school next Yr if possible. Husband can work from home, I can work 3-4 days weekly if commuting is an option.

But... I'm unsure of where to go. Was looking at townhouse in St Mary's Road, or Stapleton close to train station.

Is there any areas that might be best to go for with schools and easy transport to dublin?

Would like to live in town close to train or bus as I can't drive.

It seems like a lovely town, but with such a big move just want to do my homework first.

Again, thanks for any help, bit lost as to what to do!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Stapleton place i know.I lived there for a number of years.

Plus: Town centre,so shops/restaurants night-life on your doorstep,easy walking distance of train station(5 mins on at a decent walking pace :D ),also bus stop for BE Dublin service 100/200 metres away.Matthews Bus service for Dublin within easy walking distance.Plenty of good schools in area.(Grammar school and Friary NS school again within easy walking distance)Neighbours are very nice.

Minus: Traffic in the area is heavy,very,very hectic and noisy especially at Rush hour/ school time.There are a number of guest houses in the area also some flats and apartments but when i was there i was never disturbed by anyone coming or going to any of them but just thought i'd mention it.

Overall,Stapleton Place is a really good place to live.

St.Marys Road is a lovely,lovely area of Dundalk.I never lived there but i know it quite well.

Probably a 15/20 min walk to the train station.
    Dundalk bus station is 5 min walk away.
    Colaiste Rís ss,CBS ns and The Marist ss on the doorstep.There are a number of other schools in the area but can't remember the names right now?
    Same as above really(about Stapleton Place) basically but without the traffic(School times i'd guess it would be busy.)and guest houses.
    Established,lovely neighbours i'd imagine.

I'm sure a few more with more info than me will add to the thread.
    Good luck.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

With commuting to Dublin a priority Stapleton Place or nearby would be ideal. Ard Easmiunn is another nice area that would be a little quieter. Also there's a couple of modern estates like Mount Hamilton and Lís na Dara Just a few minutes walk from the train.

The cheapest way of commuting to Dublin could be the Matthews Bus which runs from The Marshes S.C. to either IFSC or Parnell St either.

St. Mary's Road is the opposite end of town from the train station and is a decent walk down each way. 20 to 25 mins I reckon. I used to walk it when I was at school there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 petalini

Thanks so much for getting back to me! Both areas are fantastic it seems, but maybe Stapleton might cut down the commute a little.

When we visited a few weeks ago was blown away by how beautiful the place is overall and how friendly everyone was! Fingers crossed we can get settled soon and start our new life. Dublin has burnt us out in so many ways, not worth it. I think the move might give us a better quality of life for sure :)

It seems the schools are very established too which is important with the little one.

Sorry, I forgot to ask. Would the bus be less than an hour say from Dublin? Matthews bus? I need to get to glasnevin in dublin so I think the bus stops in drumcondra or some of dcu buses at St pats during term time ?

Start time at work 8,or 8.30

Thanks again for the help :)

The 6:30 Matthews Bus would have you in Drumcondra before 8am.

https://www.matthews.ie/admin/image/timetable_pdf/1522144036e64280c.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I live in Mount Hamilton for over a year and commute to Parnell st. daily on the matthews bus from the Marshes S.C.

It's a fantastic service and tax relief available. Stops at whitehall, St. Pats, Drumcondra, the Mater and O'Connell St. Most buses are under 3 years old and very comfortable. Trips on the 7am get me into O'Connell St approx 8.15 during school term and 8am when schools are off.

Mount Hamiltion is 3.5km from Marshes and 1.3km from train station. Love the estate so far...

Best of luck with the move

That's such a relief!! Thanks so much for your help. The commute was my main concern, with a young family I need to make sure I can get to work on time.

I'm very excited now about the move. I think dundalk is where we will settle for sure, fingers crossed we can make it happen 🤞.

Can I ask what preschools are nearby that area? My little one won't be starting properly until next September.

Thanks again for the reassurance!

Stepping Stones is creche/pre-school directly opposite the nearby Friary/St. Malachy's Primary School. Both are about 200m from the train station.

Advertisement