Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United sale agreed with Abu Dhabi

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Thought Abou Diaby was buying Newcastle for a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I won't hold my breath. It would be a classic Mike Ashley manoeuvre to take the spotlight off the lack of transfer activity, Rafa contract proceedings etc. It is comforting to see the talk confirmed from the other party for once, though. One can dream.

Deal done it seems. Not sure how I feel, I despise City and their oil money, but I'd love to see Newcastle compete at the elite level.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1133057929198878725?s=19

The issue with the Man City owners is not about "oil money".

It's about genocide, famine, war crimes, floggings, stonings etc. Some feel it's bigger than what level some English club might reach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

The issue with the Man City owners is not about "oil money".

It's about genocide, famine, war crimes, floggings, stonings etc. Some feel it's bigger than what level some English club might reach.

Ah stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm sure most Newcastle fans are thrilled. Lot of outrage the past 9 months out of nowhere from a section of fans who celebrated with these same owners as far back as 7 or 8 years ago.

• Advertisement

Ah stop

Are you serious or do you genuinely not know the accusations levelled at the Man City owners and think it's just about oil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Are you serious or do you genuinely not know the accusations levelled at the Man City owners and think it's just about oil?

This is a football forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I doubt how super rich this guy is. He tried to buy Liverpool with a 2bn offer before and was deemed a waste of time would couldn't stump up 25m deposit or show any investment plan.

Anything is better than Ashley though in the eyes of Newcastle fans and you could hardly disagree with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,338 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

And owners using a club to sportswash is a perfectly reasonable discussion.

As fir this Newcastle stuff.... Let's wait and see. Liverpool have opinions on this crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The football world doesn’t exist in a vacuum... a football forum is exactly where you should expect to find discussion on everything football, on and off the field. Especially in a thread specifically about a takeover.

• Advertisement

It was you who questioned the owners of Man City, in your very first post. You can't raise an issue and then try to stop discussion because you were unaware of the extent of the issue.
    I despise City and their oil money, but I'd love to see Newcastle compete at the elite level.
    rob316 wrote: »
    Anything is better than Ashley though in the eyes of Newcastle fans and you could hardly disagree with them.

I would. Because they are wrong. Infanticide in Yemen is worse than disgraceful treatment of Sports Direct staff. Which is not to say the proposed owners are guilty of the former, merely that the OP mentioned Man City and that is very much the accusation levelled at their owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

rob316 wrote:
    I doubt how super rich this guy is. He tried to buy Liverpool with a 2bn offer before and was deemed a waste of time would couldn't stump up 25m deposit or show any investment plan.

A lot of the reporting is wrong too, this lad isn't from Abu Dhabi and doesn't have the wealth of the Abu Dhabi Royal family behind him. He's from Dubai whose wealth was decimated in the global downturn so much they needed financial help from their neighbours. City's owners are also distancing themselves from it. That could be to avoid the obvious conflict of interests accusations or its because he actually doesn't have anything to do with them, being from a different country also points to that.

Newcastle fans deserve to be rid of Ashley and deserve some joy though , I'd wonder if this isn't a frying pan into the fire effort given his ridiculous attempt to buy Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

.G. wrote: »
    A lot of the reporting is wrong too, this lad isn't from Abu Dhabi and doesn't have the wealth of the Abu Dhabi Royal family behind him. He's from Dubai whose wealth was decimated in the global downturn so much they needed financial help from their neighbours. City's owners are also distancing themselves from it. That could be to avoid the obvious conflict of interests accusations or its because he actually doesn't have anything to do with them, being from a different country also points to that.

Newcastle fans deserve to be rid of Ashley and deserve some joy though , I'd wonder if this isn't a frying pan into the fire effort given his ridiculous attempt to buy Liverpool.

Wut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Wut?

Go on Mars Bar I know you want to correct him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Go on Mars Bar I know you want to correct him :)

Shukran

Dubai and Abu Dhabi are different Emirates within the same country, The United Arab Emirates.

I would. Because they are wrong. Infanticide in Yemen is worse than disgraceful treatment of Sports Direct staff. Which is not to say the proposed owners are guilty of the former, merely that the OP mentioned Man City and that is very much the accusation levelled at their owners.

You know exactly what I mean, from a football perspective Ashley has been a death to that club. I don't expect the fans to question the morality of the owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

And owners using a club to sportswash is a perfectly reasonable discussion.

As fir this Newcastle stuff.... Let's wait and see. Liverpool have opinions on this crowd.

They have opinions on everything in this forum. ;)

Different places then. Apologies. Point is he's not a part of the mega rich oil family in charge of City which is what has so many frothing at the mouth at the possibilities of them being the next City.

They might be, but it's far from certain!

They have opinions on everything in this forum. ;)

The lack of self awareness is funny.

Doubt anyone wants yet another thread descended into a Liverpool / Utd dick measuring contest.

Anyway, great week for Newcastle with the Mackems losing too!

Different places then. Apologies. Point is he's not a part of the mega rich oil family in charge of City which is what has so many frothing at the mouth at the possibilities of them being the next City.

They might be, but it's far from certain!

It'll be interesting to follow this story for sure, and what sort of investment is in store for Newcastle.

They deserve a decent owner tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This lot didn't even have £25m as proof of funds when they were sniffing around Liverpool. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

RoboKlopp wrote:
    They deserve a decent owner tbh.

They do, absolutely.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    The lack of self awareness is funny.

Doubt anyone wants yet another thread descended into a Liverpool / Utd dick measuring contest.

Anyway, great week for Newcastle with the Mackems losing too!

Whoosh..... that's the sound of the joke going over your head.

Does anyone think yer man looks a bit like Jose?

This lot didn't even have £25m as proof of funds when they were sniffing around Liverpool. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Very vaguely remember that story but can't remember much else about it except they were linked for quite a while but it never materialised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

according to the Telegraph this is far from a done deal - the good news for suffering Newcastle fans is other parties are interested , so hopefully the right owner does actually get rid of the Ashley reign. ? hink it would be a good buy for some billionaire - Super support/ big stadium and a real sleeping giant with a top class manager.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/05/27/newcastle-united-sceptical-bid-fromsheikh-khaled-will-lead-sale/

Its got a great support and stadium but its going to be incredibly hard tempting the worlds best players up there.
    Still circa £300m is a good price for a big PL club.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ashley will still be in charge come September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

thebaz wrote: »
    according to the Telegraph this is far from a done deal - the good news for suffering Newcastle fans is other parties are interested , so hopefully the right owner does actually get rid of the Ashley reign. ? hink it would be a good buy for some billionaire - Super support/ big stadium and a real sleeping giant with a top class manager.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/05/27/newcastle-united-sceptical-bid-fromsheikh-khaled-will-lead-sale/

It's a distraction from the ongoing shenanigans at Newcastle and a bargaining tool to try and keep Rafa. If he goes, Newcastle will be relegation material again, given their squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Sportswashdirect.com

Advertisement