Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydraulic brakes loose

Options
  • 28-05-2019 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

I just bought a used giant rapid 1 with hydraulic disc brakes and they are very loose.
    The guy who sold me the bike bought it and never actually cycled it. It’s in mint condition and has been sitting in his shed for two years.
    Only problem is that the back brake lever is really loose. I just googled and it seems I have to bleed the brakes or replace the fluid. Should this be the case since it has never even been cycled?
    Only bike shop around here is Halfords and I’m not sure if I trust them to do it.
    Has anyone done this process? Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Try YouTube for how to videos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I wouldn't trust Halfords either but aren't they mostly in urban areas? There must be a bike shop near by.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when you say 'loose' - do you mean they're spongy and ineffective?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If the lever is loose then you just need to tighten the clamp on it.

If the brakes are spongey then bleeding them should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Yes spongey and ineffective is a good description. I watched a few youtube videos and decided its best left to the professionals. I am going to drop it to a nearby independent bike shop and let them sort it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement