Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAFM Types of Honey

Options
  • 28-05-2019 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I was looking at the DAFM registration page and on the types of honey, you have the following options:

Run, Filtered, Honeydew, Comb, Chunk, Other

What is 'normal' honey? I'm guessing Run?

Comments

I put down Run on the basis that all honey gets a basic filtration so the specific category of filtered must refer to a more industrial 'superfiltration' process.

In about a month they'll send you a certificate registering you as a Food Business Operator, even if you only have a single hive. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I put down Run on the basis that all honey gets a basic filtration so the specific category of filtered must refer to a more industrial 'superfiltration' process.

In about a month they'll send you a certificate registering you as a Food Business Operator, even if you only have a single hive. :)

I take it the barrier to entry for selling honey is low, ie not like making jam and Haacp all the way, stainless steel and inspection.

Danzy wrote: »
    I take it the barrier to entry for selling honey is low, ie not like making jam and Haacp all the way, stainless steel and inspection.

Honey, by its nature, is a very safe product but of course good hygiene and proper labelling are essential.
    The dept does do inspections on the food processing side but, unlike other EU countries, is not active on bee health side. I understand that the food inspections would be more biased towards the bigger operations or where incorrectly labelled product has been found on sale.

HACCP would still apply though not formally at the small scale level; i can just think of fermentation, botulism and foreign bodies as hazards, but I suppose there might be more....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

It's not mentioned on the DAFM page, but you can also put "soft-set honey" (but not "creamed honey").

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

Run honey is extracted honey (normal, if you like).

Re HACCP etc., my understanding is that "small producers" for distributing some honey locally are permitted to work from their domestic kitchen. To my knowledge, "small producers" and "local" are not well defined.

My line on it is, so long as I can manage working from my domestic kitchen, I'm a small producer. If you get to the point of needing to use a separate or dedicated space for extracting, bottling, etc. then I'm pretty sure you are supposed to comply with all of the food production hygiene rules (HACCP, etc.).

• Advertisement
Advertisement