Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB maintenance charges increase

• 28-05-2019 8:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

Got a letter this morning telling me they are increasing their monthly maintenance fee from 4 euro to 6 euro per month.

What other current accounts are out there that represent better value for money ? I don't really find PTSB very competitive anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

KBC got a lot of new customers recently on the back of Ulster Bank introducing crazy transaction charges. KBC extra current account just needs €2,500 lodged per month for free banking. The balance does not need to be maintained. Am with them about 2 months now, no issues to report plus they support Apple Pay which PTSB don't (I think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

EBS money manager is free. They don't have contactless right now but new cards issued from June will have it.

Their online portal is basic but functional, not as many features as PTSB. Apparently setting up a payee online requires a phone call to their customer service after entering IBAN of payee in the portal. Haven't had to do that yet so not sure how straightforward it is.
    KBC extra current account just needs €2,500 lodged per month for free banking.

Does a lodgement of 2.5k from a KBC savings account meet the conditions for free banking?

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Does a lodgement of 2.5k from a KBC savings account meet the conditions for free banking?

Not sure, my wages paid in cover the amount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭Daith

Ten Pin wrote: »

No, it needs to come from an external source afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭shanec1928

van_beano wrote: »
    KBC got a lot of new customers recently on the back of Ulster Bank introducing crazy transaction charges. KBC extra current account just needs €2,500 lodged per month for free banking. The balance does not need to be maintained. Am with them about 2 months now, no issues to report plus they support Apple Pay which PTSB don't (I think).
    AFIK thats been reduced to 2k

• Advertisement

shanec1928 wrote: »

Think you're right actually, I vaguely remember seeing something about that in the last week or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

KBC cannot accept cash lodges ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭Daith

KBC cannot accept cash lodges ?

Nope.
    shanec1928 wrote: »

Yes it's 2500K for the extra account.

Is EBS really free ? No monthly maintenance, transactions, admin fees ? If so I'll change :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

Is EBS really free ? No monthly maintenance, transactions, admin fees ? If so I'll change :/

It is but they have very poor services. It depends in what your after. What you could do is have salary paid into ebs and use n26 for day to day stuff

• Advertisement

Fol20 wrote: »
    It is but they have very poor services. It depends in what your after. What you could do is have salary paid into ebs and use n26 for day to day stuff

Can their debit cards be used abroad for ATM's and POS without issues? I travel a bit around UAE each year. I also have a Revolut card.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

for me the only benefit I find with PTSB is the 2% back on mortgage payments each month, even with the increase of 50% in the charges Im still making money each month, its only a couple of €'s but its a profit none the less. Other than that I'd have moved long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

It can be another KBC account.
    Daith wrote: »
    No, it needs to come from an external source afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭shanec1928

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread.
    I recently switched to PTSB for the explore account as we are getting 2% cash back each month on our mortgage. The 6 euros monthly fee, we have been getting 5 euros back on each month so far (10c every time we use our debit card).
    But we are getting hit with charges every time I buy something online in GBP. This never happened with my previous account at ULSB. I'm really fuming about this. This week I was charged 7.54 on one online purchase!

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread.
    I recently switched to PTSB for the explore account as we are getting 2% cash back each month on our mortgage. The 6 euros monthly fee, we have been getting 5 euros back on each month so far (10c every time we use our debit card).
    But we are getting hit with charges every time I buy something online in GBP. This never happened with my previous account at ULSB. I'm really fuming about this. This week I was charged 7.54 on one online purchase!

You should use something like Revolut for non-Euro transactions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭davetherave

Yeah you would be. It is listed in the schedule of charges.

Using a debit card for purchases in foreign currency: 1.75% of the Euro value of the transaction (min. €0.46 and max €11.43).

It is listed in the fees and charges for the standard Ulster Bank current account as well.
    Using a Debit Card for purchases in Foreign Currency: 1% of transaction amount. (min €0.25, max €6)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

van_beano wrote: »
    You should use something like Revolut for non-Euro transactions.

Yep, I'll be using my husband's Revolut going forward.
    Yeah you would be. It is listed in the schedule of charges.

Using a debit card for purchases in foreign currency: 1.75% of the Euro value of the transaction (min. €0.46 and max €11.43).

It is listed in the fees and charges for the standard Ulster Bank current account as well.
    Using a Debit Card for purchases in Foreign Currency: 1% of transaction amount. (min €0.25, max €6)

I was with ULSB for years and never charged those fees, and I shop online in GBP frequently enough.

Advertisement