Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas TV Thread 2019

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

I thought it was a very dark take on it alright and I thought it interesting. The utter humiliation really hit home what a complete creep scrooge was. I havent seen the ending yet.

I am amazed that there is not more jumping up and down at the ending of Gavin and Stacey, I was pee'd that it ended that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Jude13 wrote: »
    I thought it was a very dark take on it alright and I thought it interesting. The utter humiliation really hit home what a complete creep scrooge was. I havent seen the ending yet.

I am amazed that there is not more jumping up and down at the ending of Gavin and Stacey, I was pee'd that it ended that way.

Agree re a Christmas Carol, we had started to let the kids watch it and quickly paused it and told them they couldn't watch it, so we watched the muppets version with them instead and watched the BBC one after they went to bed. Was a lot darker than expected but then again the book itself has dark moments too, but did think this pushed the boundaries a tad. Did think it an intetesting take but cant see myself ever watching it again.

The ending to gavin and stacey caught us completely on the hop, with both of us going 'noooooooo' when the credits rolled... if it means another special in a year or two happy days, but if not theres something interesting about leaving it to the audience to decide what smithy says... plenty would consider it unsatisfactory but can see why they might do something like that in the event they never made any more, anyway that's all moot as Ruth Jones has already confirmed there'll be at least 1 more special.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Muppet's version is vastly superior anyway so the kids missed nothing.

We had the exact same reaction at the end of G&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

A lot of English teachers UK based were complaining on Twitter as they’d told their classes to watch it over the break. Like you said, they said the Muppet’s version was far better.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I've yet to watch a Christmas Carol, I was going to watch it post Christmas time to keep the festive feeling alive, nothing but mixed or negative reviews, may have to just rewatch the Muppet's one instead myself haha

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    I've yet to watch a Christmas Carol, I was going to watch it post Christmas time to keep the festive feeling alive, nothing but mixed or negative reviews, may have to just rewatch the Muppet's one instead myself haha

Ah it's worth a watch, visually it looks great and has good production values, it's just not very 'Christmassy!' In the traditional sense.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

If you want a great take on the Dickens classic tale then watch Scrooged again :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

If you want a great take on the Dickens classic tale then watch Scrooged again :)

Seen it twice already this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think the Patrick Stewart version of Christmas Carol is probably the most faithful to original.

But also loved Scrooged and Muppet take on it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Anyone else watch new years bake off with the cast of derry girls? Thought it very funny, the 4 of us had a great laugh watching it.

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    Anyone else watch new years bake off with the cast of derry girls? Thought it very funny, the 4 of us had a great laugh watching it.

It’s on the box recorded will watch it tomorrow :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

FECK I forgot that was on!

Posy wrote: »
    FECK I forgot that was on!

Should be on all 4 I reckon :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

DvB wrote: »

I loved it, I thought Siobhan (Sister Michael) in particular was hilarious but I also loved Jamie-Lee (Michelle) creeping around after Paul the way he does to contestants. I won't say anything about the actual baking though as it sounds like most people haven't watched it yet!

Expect the 2020 issue of the Rte Christmas guide to be available in some areas from Saturday 5th December, they will cover Saturday 19th December 2020 to Friday January 1st 2021.

Andy Williams happy holidays on sky arts now. A look back at his Christmas specials.

Dracula is pretty brilliant if anyone is looking for something to watch. Warning that it is gruesome, I know its obvious to most but just in case.

Dracula is pretty brilliant if anyone is looking for something to watch. Warning that it is gruesome, I know its obvious to most but just in case.

On the box recorded. Can’t wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Loughc wrote: »
    On the box recorded. Can’t wait.

Same hopefully get to start watching it tonight or tomorrow night. Good to hear its good!

• Advertisement

Really enjoyed the first 2 episodes, not so mad on the third one but overall a decent watch, 7/10.

Dolly Wells is superb in it I have to say.

Haven't seen the third episode yet, I have it lined up for tonight. Still have a load of Christmas movies that I havent seen but its just far too busy to get to them.

Watched part of the big fat quiz of the decade and turned it off as I thought it was boring.

Watched part of the big fat quiz of the decade and turned it off as I thought it was boring.

We did the same, gave it 20 minutes & said no thanks!

Advertisement