Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundabout near Mill Park hotel

• 28-05-2019 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

What are people's opinions on how to negotiate the roundabout near the Mill Park hotel when leaving the bypass and heading towards Killybegs?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Is the approach road not marked or are there any signs up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

either lane left lane unless its blocked, indicate left after youve passed the mcintyres junction (technically youre going straight on)

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Safe-Driving1/Rules-of-the-Road/

page 130 on, how to drive round roundabaouts

you learn something every day

I'll get a look at that manual after lunch but if i was driving there now Id be using the left lane

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

I always used the left lane and indicated after mc intyres but have been cut off a few times from people using the right hand lane. There was a big debate on that checkpoint lsd group on facebook with a lot of people saying that it is the right hand lane because "It's after 12 o clock" on the roundabout. I checked with a driving instructor, he said right hand lane. It doesn't seem like it should be though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

a lot of people indicate right and then turn towards killybegs though if im indicating right im normally going up past the mill park as i live up there !

had a few people undercut me going from town out past the millpark where im normally in the right as theres traffic heading for killybegs (assumed by me obviously not )

• Advertisement

either lane left lane unless its blocked, indicate left after youve passed the mcintyres junction (technically youre going straight on)

Had a look at the relevant pages and it looks like I've broken the rules of the road 1,724 times in the last 5 years :pac:

Damn, I always thought that, unless road markings indicated differently you would take the left hand lane for every exit except the last one. No wonder people were blowing horns at me. And here was me thinking I was popular!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ha, I was taught many moons ago that it was stay left for first and second exit, right lane for all subsequent exits.

I had been told with regards that roundabout that there is no centre line in the roundabout itself so there really is only 1 lane... funny this roundabout seems to come up for debate every now and then.

byte wrote: »
    Ha, I was taught many moons ago that it was stay left for first and second exit, right lane for all subsequent exits.
    Roundabouts were invented to replace road junctions in general and crossroads in particular so that method of keeping left for the first 2 exits is basically the same as what I was saying earlier as most roundabouts years ago only had 3 exits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

It’s after 12 o clock so right hand lane and no indicating until you have passed the exit for the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Curious Scot

venusdoom wrote: »
    There was a big debate on that checkpoint lsd group on facebook with a lot of people saying that it is the right hand lane because "It's after 12 o clock" on the roundabout. I checked with a driving instructor, he said right hand lane. It doesn't seem like it should be though!

I saw that debate all right. Someone commented that the sign for the roundabout that's on the bypass shows the Killybegs exit as being in the twelve o'clock position and therefore, it's the left-hand lane that should be used. It was suggested that drivers should use the roundabout as if they were visitors and were using the roundabout for the first time i.e. go round the roundabout according to the directions on the sign. I would have to agree with this.

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Is the approach road not marked or are there any signs up?

There's a sign on the bypass which shows the Killybegs exit at 12 o'clock. As far as I know, there are no road markings other than the yield sign at the roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

I don't understand roundabouts like this. It's the same on the roundabout on the other side of the town towards sligo. Surely the council can put signs saying this lane for this road and that's it done. Not hard to do and then no confusion. Instead, they put those upside down triangles and nobody knows what the hell to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭elaine.rodger

Just seen this on the Garda Síochána Donegal facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/238857796910903/posts/453358645460816/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭overshoot

"Left Lane"...? from the page you quote....

If taking any exit between the 12 o’clock to the 6 o’clock positions, motorists should generally approach in the right-hand lane.
    page 132(quote below) has a diagram for exists at 11 (town) & 2 (killybegs) that shows right lane.
    Much the same existing town... Killybegs left, all others right (Mill Park-Drimarone, Bypass).
    Taking any later exits (those from 12 o’clock to the 6 o’clock position)Approach in the right-hand lane (unless road markings say otherwise), indicate ‘right’ on your approach and leave your indicator on until you have passed the exit before the one you intend to take. Then change to the ‘left’ turn indicator. Move over towards the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.

overshoot wrote: »
    "Left Lane"...? from the page you quote....

page 132(quote below) has a diagram for exists at 11 (town) & 2 (killybegs) that shows right lane.
    Much the same existing town... Killybegs left, all others right (Mill Park-Drimarone, Bypass).

I agree that, according to The Rules of the Road, anyone coming off the bypass and heading to wards Killybegs should use the right lane.
    But the sign on the bypass shows the Killybegs exit in the 12 o'clock position. That implies that it's the left lane that should be used.
    IMO that's where the problem lies - that sign should be changed.

Advertisement