Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about iPhone.

Options
  • 28-05-2019 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting an iPhone as I read a great book about surveillance capitalism recently and the amount of scummy behaviour Google get up to to is ridiculous. I want to give them as little data about me as possible from now on, so this obviously means ditching android completely.

Just have a few questions about IPhone as I've never owned one. Is it possible to delete all Google apps the phone comes with like Maps, Gmail etc?

Also, what iPhone version would you recommend? I don't game, just use phone for light browsing, banking, newspaper apps, podcasts when commutting etc. Not a big picture taker either.

Cheers

Edit: book I read incidentally:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/feb/02/age-of-surveillance-capitalism-shoshana-zuboff-review

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

I'm thinking of getting an iPhone as I read a great book about surveillance capitalism recently and the amount of scummy behaviour Google get up to to is ridiculous. I want to give them as little data about me as possible from now on, so this obviously means ditching android completely.

Just have a few questions about IPhone as I've never owned one. Is it possible to delete all Google apps the phone comes with like Maps, Gmail etc?

Also, what iPhone version would you recommend? I don't game, just use phone for light browsing, banking, newspaper apps, podcasts when commutting etc. Not a big picture taker either.

Cheers

Edit: book I read incidentally:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/feb/02/age-of-surveillance-capitalism-shoshana-zuboff-review

Would you not just buy an Encro then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

It's been a while since I got a new one, but AFAIR no google apps are standard on ios. You have to actively download them and activate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭eoinob50

Would you not just buy an Encro then?

Or if worried about big companies spying, get a nokia 3310.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

eoinob50 wrote: »
    Or if worried about big companies spying, get a nokia 3310.

Big time. Little burner easy to swallow, easy to break absolutely nothing saved on them and 27 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

No Google apps come as standard on iOS. you'll want to change your default search engine to Duck Duck Go! however. on iPhone you can pretty much delete all apps, including the stock ones however the stock apps are usually the default apps for certain links e.g. email address opens in mail, url opens in Safari, tapping phone number will open Phone app. you can't currently change these default apps.

The best iPhone to get currently is probably an iPhone XR, it's got all the latest internals, good screen and decent capacity options. the next best is probably the iPhone XS but it's more expensive (but coming from Android pretty much all iOS devices are expensive) for not a huge amount of difference (second tele-photo camera - zoom - and a better resolution display).

You also need to consider whilst the price is higher; iPhone tend to last longer. I used to be a buy the new latest and greatest every year, that stopped three years ago when I realised the iPhone 7 Plus was plenty good for me. I'll probably upgrade this year but I could easily see myself maybe going 4 years on the same phone. I have friends that bought the Pixel 3 XL (Google's flagship phone) in October 2018 and are already complaining about slow-down and general sluggishness, I'd wouldn't be super happy about that after 8 months and spending €800~.

Also, whilst I tend to agree Google tend over reach with the data they collect (and I certainly wouldn't be going to the lengths posters above are suggesting unless you've something you have to hide) they are an important player in the market and I personally find it not wise to cut yourself entirely out of their ecosystem. Google Maps is a must have app as Apple Maps is terrible in Ireland (it's better in the US but we're not there), YouTube is essential viewing for me, be it DIY tutorials or keeping up with Tech News. My Gmail is accessed through the iOS Mail app but I've gotten my own domain recently and have been migrating over to that more and more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

I agree about the life time for iPhones. My 6S is still perfect for me.

Advertisement