Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

Still bucketing down in west Mayo. Clearance nearly here though, so should be a nice afternoon.

488689.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I repeat

More rain in Galway this month than the previous nine combined

It really feels like it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Breezy and starting to rain now. Overcast all day. Sorry if this offends people.

The gas thing is you accuse others of being passive aggressive:)

Not bad in Wicklow this morning. off today so brought my daughter fishing. Came home and cut the grass and washed the car. Gone dark now and breezy so suspect the rain isn’t far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

Breezy and starting to rain now. Overcast all day. Sorry if this offends people.

Clonmel you're more than entitled to post your reality, too bad if people don't like it!! I fully agree with you because it's also my reality.

And I'm not trying to offend anyone either with my very blunt posts, though folks do take offence unfortunately. I suppose, having just returned from glorious sunshine in Spain, I find this awful to have to get back into. For those stuck with it they learn to live with it and try to have a more positive spin about it.

But there's no denying that August in Kerry has been atrocious and I'm seeing it with my own eyes today.

Hopefully it will improve. It's surely due!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Xenji wrote: »
    I do not think you have had over 700mm of rain this month, easily over 200mm of rain has fallen in some parts of Galway though.

Ground was dry all winter and spring, covered in deep puddles now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Still bucketing down in west Mayo. Clearance nearly here though, so should be a nice afternoon.

Rain has stopped, wind is slowly easing, and the sky is brightening as the sun breaks through

West mayo offshore island

acequion wrote: »
    Clonmel you're more than entitled to post your reality, too bad if people don't like it!! I fully agree with you because it's also my reality.

We are all entitled to post our ‘reality’. You are the one who called people ‘deniers’ for posting anything that differed from your experience. Are you saying people are only entitled to post if it’s in line with your experiences even though people are spread out by hundreds of kilometers?
    I have no problem with people calling it how they see it- it’s when they accuse others of lying or being deluded I have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

The rain has arrived here. A few drops anyway. It's 16.2C.

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    The rain has arrived here. A few drops anyway. It's 16.2C.

Heavier now; enough to sound on the roof.

Clearance here now. Sun starting to come out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I came back from Spain on the 12th, and I think it's been raining since.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Bad weather brings out the worst in many of ye!

I'm laughing at one post in particular due to its passive aggressiveness!

Anyway, it's lashing in West Clare now, think I'm up to 135mm of rainfall for the month so far, will check later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Brightening up now in Castlebar after 15mm of rain, around 35mm of rain in the last 24 hours or so here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

2mm yesterday and rain so slight today its not even wetting the ground though the radar is showing it to be a wet day :confused: 16.8c
    N.Dub

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

About to set sail to Rosslare from Pembroke, ferry is delayed half an hour due to weather. It’s a lovely day over here. Hopefully it won’t be too wild at sea, have a window seat. My brother is home from Australia, he cannot believe how wet and cold it is for August. He doesn’t really care as he’s happy to see everyone but it limits what you can do. These low pressure, relentless, no let up scenarios are hard to put up with sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LoxontheRox

It has rained everyday here since Aug 1st, located near Lisdoonvarna. Its been cold since the weekend....a real November feel. Disappointing end to kids holidays....but we just gotta roll with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Walked in the fields, and as glorious a day as ever was. Sweet fresh wind and strong sun and the ocean a glory of ruffled water. The loveliest place on earth in rain or sun.

Still windsong wild and free. Autumn fruit and flowers.

west mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heaviest rain of the day here in Kildare now. Has been just a bit damp until now.
    16c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

mostly light rain here today in Meath. We've had 3 unsettled wet days in a row now. Probably the most unsettled and coldest period since June.

However a massive improvement is on the way with sunshine and temperatures into the low 20's from tomorrow lasting into the early part of next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

After dry but blustery overcast weather earlier, rain has arrived here in the last 25 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Gonzo wrote: »
    However a massive improvement is on the way with sunshine and temperatures into the low 20's from tomorrow lasting into the early part of next week.
    I'll believe it when I see it. Not even met eireann have been able to predict this past month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Awful day in Donegal as usual, pouring down heavy rain all day with some torrential bursts just before it cleared.

Some good sunshine for the past hour though so hopefully we'll get a nice evening to compensate

sideswipe wrote: »
    We are all entitled to post our ‘reality’. You are the one who called people ‘deniers’ for posting anything that differed from your experience. Are you saying people are only entitled to post if it’s in line with your experiences even though people are spread out by hundreds of kilometers?
    I have no problem with people calling it how they see it- it’s when they accuse others of lying or being deluded I have a problem.

Why the provocative post, can you not just let it go and agree to disagree?

I hadn't planned on posting more on the subject but I now feel the need to respond.

Firstly, in none of my posts did I accuse anybody of lying, so that is a bit of an over reaction and one which in turn gives offence.

Secondly, yes I did say that this forum and Ireland in general is full of "deniers" and indeed apologists for our overall poor Irish climate. And some are quite aggressive about it and go mad if others post negative. Which I think is crazy as everyone is entitled to their "reality." And I always defend people's right to tell it as they see it even if that's very bad. Just as I've often stated that I'm fully aware of how much the weather varies all over the country and that we, in Kerry, as the holders of the title of wettest county :(, get the worst of it.

However I go to Dublin a fair bit and can honestly say that anytime I was there this summer I saw nothing great about the weather, while admittedly better than at home. Also,from 4-9th Aug I was in northern France, where the weather wouldn't be too unlike the east of Ireland, better I would imagine, and it was only allright. Average daily temps of 22,lower in the morning,higher late in the day and mainly overcast. Pleasant but not beach weather and often jacket weather. And I met lots in Spain later who would agree.

So, in conclusion I'm happy for the people who are happy with their summer but I doubt I'd personally find it as good over east. Also, there is no doubt that the west of Ireland has a poor climate [and that's putting it mildly and no pun intended] The amount of people down here who suffer all sorts of chronic pain due to the constant damp is testament to that. And I refuse to dress that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I hadn't planned on posting more on the subject but I now feel the need to respond.

Firstly, in none of my posts did I accuse anybody of lying, so that is a bit of an over reaction
    What you posted was that you were skeptical of posts saying we had good weather in the east . Not nice to read really .As if we would pop on here to post untruths about how good the weather was !! Why would we ?
    But it makes no difference to read it as I personally know I enjoyed the summer overall . Mind you today is a write off here

Here is your post in case you have forgotten

Arrived back this morning into Shannon to the most utterly crap weather imaginable and everywhere totally waterlogged. :eek:

Yet I log on here and the denial brigade and the "Shur Ireland has grand weather" brigade are still singing off the same hymn sheet :rolleyes:

Yet while in Spain I spoke to many from Britain, northern France and Belgium who all had one thing in common, dire August weather back in their neck of the woods. Yet our east coasters further over via Atlantic would have us believing in the micro climate of costa del arklow or costa del bray or costa del south dublin or wherever. Ya right :rolleyes: Maybe they have a vastly different notion of good weather.

And tonight have the heating belting here in Tralee!

Now for all that am actually delighted to be back home. Never anywhere like home. And guess I'll rub a few people up the wrong way with my remarks about all this supposed great weather over east. But sorry guys, am a bit skeptical!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

Carol25 wrote: »
    About to set sail to Rosslare from Pembroke, ferry is delayed half an hour due to weather. It’s a lovely day over here. Hopefully it won’t be too wild at sea, have a window seat. My brother is home from Australia, he cannot believe how wet and cold it is for August. He doesn’t really care as he’s happy to see everyone but it limits what you can do. These low pressure, relentless, no let up scenarios are hard to put up with sometimes!

Nearly at Rosslare, a bit choppy but nearly as bad as I was imagining! Very windy outside, can see the rain clouds approaching as we come towards land.

I read this forum and post in it in good faith. I take people at face value and enjoy their input. I don’t need to agree to disagree because the only thing I have disagreed with is being accused of being delusional and in denial about the weather I’ve experienced. Just because you’ve been in Dublin a few times and the weather wasn’t great does not make my observations invalid.
    Slapping somebody on the back and saying they are entitled to their opinion when they claim people may react to a bad weather report from their area while calling shenanigans on any positive reports all summer is provocative.
    No offense but that’s the way I see it. I hope you and I get some good weather soon! As the weather is ****e here now too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,206 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

This is a forum where we can express our views on the weather. In my opinion the summer was absolutely f*cking sh*te. July in dublin was cloudy every day. June was freezing same as august. We have one of the most miserable climates on the planet thats why im compelled to post stuff about it online! Im at my brother's place in malta now and never want to leave but unfortunately with life right now im stuck in the rainy misery for the forseeable future.

1.2mm rain recorded today but it seems to have stopped for now. The current temperature is 15.7C. The high was 16.4C.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Few wet days in Dublin but looking better for the weekend . We are lucky we are retired so take the good days and enjoy them as the come . It probably helps as I really enjoyed this summer as we could enjoy good mornings or afternoon during the week
    If its fine and dry we grab it , if it rains we catch up on jobs !

• Advertisement

This is a forum where we can express our views on the weather. In my opinion the summer was absolutely f*cking sh*te. July in dublin was cloudy every day. June was freezing same as august. We have one of the most miserable climates on the planet thats why im compelled to post stuff about it online! Im at my brother's place in malta now and never want to leave but unfortunately with life right now im stuck in the rainy misery for the forseeable future.

100% agree. Enjoy every second of Malta and I really hope that you might make it back to some tolerable weather here because the culture shock for me today in unreal. It really is awful.:eek:

Advertisement