Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very heavy rain in Naas now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

acequion wrote: »
    Arrived back this morning into Shannon to the most utterly crap weather imaginable and everywhere totally waterlogged. :eek:

Yet I log on here and the denial brigade and the "Shur Ireland has grand weather" brigade are still singing off the same hymn sheet :rolleyes:

Yet while in Spain I spoke to many from Britain, northern France and Belgium who all had one thing in common, dire August weather back in their neck of the woods. Yet our east coasters further over via Atlantic would have us believing in the micro climate of costa del arklow or costa del bray or costa del south dublin or wherever. Ya right :rolleyes: Maybe they have a vastly different notion of good weather.

And tonight have the heating belting here in Tralee!

Now for all that am actually delighted to be back home. Never anywhere like home. And guess I'll rub a few people up the wrong way with my remarks about all this supposed great weather over east. But sorry guys, am a bit skeptical!

Mod Note: acequion , this post and others by you are not acceptable in that they are goading for negative reactions and are dragging the thread off topic. You are entitled to your opinion but are not entitled to mock others for their experience or opinion. Any more posts that only serve to aggravate others will be deemed as trolling for negative responses and will be dealt with appropriately .

There is an air of intimidation creeping into the forum where people can not report their experience or opinions without being ridiculed for it. It is unpleasant and needs to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Nice sunny evening here, ground too wet to do anything useful outdoors but managed to get a good walk in. Hopefully a few better days ahead though forecast just now showed rain and drizzle never far away from the NW :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Finished up at 13mm of rain today, thats 23mm over the 2 days, looking forward to some dry weather over the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

was dry in Cork City for most of the day, started to heavy drizzle around 4pm until around 9ish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

I feel a lot of people are unrealistic with their expectations of our summers. As others have said first 3 weeks of June= ****e, most of August = ****e the rest has been decent, in my part of the east coast anyway. People coming home from the Med and then comparing our weather with their holiday experiences is totally unrealistic. Last year showed Mediterranean style weather is possible here, but it is very much an outlier rather than the norm.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Ground was dry all winter and spring, covered in deep puddles now

I have family near Athenry and if you are close to there this August has probably been the wettest month since December 2015 in fairness and the wettest August in a long time there, but it has not been more than the last 9 months combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

windy night into a windy dawning. Keeping watch /vigil as 2 of our faith-family who work in India are missing in the floods there. Puts our weather issues back in proportion for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Heading out of Dublin this weekend to visit the sister and her family in North Kerry. In what has become typical fashion for us looks like we'll be leaving the best of the weather behind us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Listened to the forecast on radio by ME this morning and it's totally at odds with the forecast for the West on their website where it says dull and misty with damp and drizzle on Saturday with rain on Monday, there was no mention of this on radio just low cloudy conditions in the South, why is there always a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Forecast still seems very up in the air going by MT's. No real certainty beyond the 5 days. At best we are looking at hazy sunshine for the weekend. After the last few days one would take that. Once the humidity is not too high it might be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Breezy cloudy dull manky. Meath.
    Over in Galway they are drowning asking is it ever going to stop raining........probably, as we all head back to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Listened to the forecast on radio by ME this morning and it's totally at odds with the forecast for the West on their website where it says dull and misty with damp and drizzle on Saturday with rain on Monday, there was no mention of this on radio just low cloudy conditions in the South, why is there always a difference.

Was is John Eagleton by any chance? He can be very vague on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Another wet start to the day in Castlebar, nearly 10mm in the last 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Was is John Eagleton by any chance? He can be very vague on the radio.

Yes I think it was him I can never understand why there are differences with the weather on Radio and TV with their own website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭OldRio

Another day. More rain.
    Sigh.........
    Co. Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

I’ve been too depressed with the weather to even bother posting
    It’s been absolutely AWFUL all month
    Lawn is almost beyond cutting now
    First time ever I’m going to have to get someone in to do it with a ride on

But the worst thing is ........the promised good spells just haven’t materialized
    “It’s going to be lovely from tomorrow on “
    Looks out window
    Not lovely
    No doubt it will rain at weekend again

That’s been my reality
    Don’t care if it’s negative that’s the way it is
    Dreadful

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Is the south to miss out on the upcoming heat?
    26C on Saturday for Dublin but only 19C down here according to ME??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

igCorcaigh wrote: »

that's what we're heading away from :rolleyes:

better than a weekend of rain all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

igCorcaigh wrote: »

The wind will be mainly southerly in direction, that’s why.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I wasn't expecting this morning to be so dull and wet here in Meath, but at least it's getting milder. Hopefully will brighten up later in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mammychicken

It started raining here on the north meath/cavan border yesterday at about 12 noon, its rained all night and its still at it....lakes of water on the lawn, in the field and on the roads, dark in the mornings and by half eight at night, i'm glad the kids are back to school next Monday it's just so depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Dry and Cloudy in my area of meath this morning, some misty rain falling now

km79 wrote: »
    I’ve been too depressed with the weather to even bother posting
    It’s been absolutely AWFUL all month
    Lawn is almost beyond cutting now
    First time ever I’m going to have to get someone in to do it with a ride on

But the worst thing is ........the promised good spells just haven’t materialized
    “It’s going to be lovely from tomorrow on “
    Looks out window
    Not lovely
    No doubt it will rain at weekend again

That’s been my reality
    Don’t care if it’s negative that’s the way it is
    Dreadful

Upsets me to hear you; it is only water! Please try to keep that in mind. Does not bother me like that as I have acclimatised over the years. Just wind and water... stay atop of it? Wish the weather was all there was to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,206 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Graces7 wrote: »
    Upsets me to hear you; it is only water! Please try to keep that in mind. Does not bother me like that as I have acclimatised over the years. Just wind and water... stay atop of it? Wish the weather was all there was to worry about.

Lack of sunlight and blue skies affects people’s mental and physical health. I find the constant low cloud cover in Ireland affects my moods too.

Persistently, consistently wild and wet out here; there are no words!

But the ferry is running and so was the post and all is well .

And the rain is so peaceful on the roof and against the windows. Music

West mayo offshore ark

Lack of sunlight and blue skies affects people’s mental and physical health. I find the constant low cloud cover in Ireland affects my moods too.

I do know that and I suffer that too along with a major systemic illness, tm but you can ameliorate and treat that. It is nothing to do with blue skies; it is the lux quantity. There are a dozen ways to help yourself; google it.

I refused to let my life be dominated by the weather as I was sleeping 19 hours out of the 24 at one stage. And I was living where we have less than four hours light a day in winter.

Life is too precious. And too short and I am too near the end of it

Please google SAD? And get help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Breezy with about 90% cloud cover here in Wicklow. Wore a long sleeve top for a walk earlier but it ended up around my waste- temp up to 19 degrees now and feeling mild, hopefully the start of some improvement as this week has been the worst of the summer so far here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's breezy and overcast and a bit damp here but at least it's warmer than recently with 18.5C now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Another fine day here in Wicklow. Cloudy but 20c in light winds. Summer has been very good here thankfully.

Advertisement