Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭pauldry

300mm?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

pauldry wrote: »
    300mm?

Say around 285mm but they way August has been going it's a good shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

pauldry wrote: »
    Athenry up to 248.9mm

Wettest August on Record coming?

That’s unreal. That is about 30-40% of total annual rainfall in parts of the east coast in one month!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Dark and wet in Donegal, nice enough late morning / early afternoon but frequent showers ever since

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Just had a really intense downpour with hail and gusty winds that lasted no more than 3 minutes. Back to warm evening sunshine and blue skies, strange evening!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

After a relatively nice and dry afternoon, the muck has arrived here with some short and sharp showers.

Pouring down rain now, lawn is well and truly destroyed, had to walk to the bottom of the garden and felt like I was walking on a waterbed. All the grass has died away as well, nothing but moss left

It turned into a nice evening in Castlebar after a dull and showery day.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

What the other models are showing at this stage.

Hi guys, just wondering what time roughly will the rain hit the midlands tomorrow?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

bazlers wrote: »
    Hi guys, just wondering what time roughly will the rain hit the midlands tomorrow?

Moved your post, better here as it is not related to Fri /Sat expected heavy rain.

Tomorrow looks like showers in the afternoon in the midlands.

• Advertisement

Ground bone dry here in Dublin 5. Mad how all these weather systems seem to be missing us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Xenji wrote: »
    Say around 285mm but they way August has been going it's a good shout.

It hasn't been a great August but I'm surprised it has been that wet here in athenry.
    200mm in a winter month seems to be much more noticeable due to the lack of evaporation and maybe the slower rates of rainfall.

Its questionable and may need to be verified.

"Only" 168mm here in Sligo

Were "only" aiming for 200mm here

Nearly 2.5 times the normal for August

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Crikey, belmullet not the place to be this summer!!!

Not really - its just we don't get the heavy convective rain inland areas get during the summer months

Same old in Letterkenny, dark, grey and pouring rain

Dry but cloudy morning in Dublin. Still no rain that I have seen since last Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Breezy morning in Kildare

A horrible dark and wet morning in Castlebar, looks like we will break 200mm of rain by tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Breezy and mostly cloudy here in Glasnevin, but there's still some sun getting through, and dry. It's about a week now since it last rained here. It's currently 15.4C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Feeling autumnal here today in Arklow
    16c
    Bright spells but wind gusting above 40kmh SW
    We'd be turning blue if it was off the sea which it isn't thankfully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Connacht, Donegal, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Limerick

Rain will turn heavy and persistent on Friday and Friday night bringing the risk of localised flooding. Rainfall totals of 30-50mm are expected during the period, higher in mountainous areas.

Valid: Friday 30 August 2019 06:00 to Saturday 31 August 2019 06:00

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭appledrop

We have been very lucky in Dublin this week. Monday + Tuesday lovely days. Mixed day yesterday but apart from odd shower stayed dry.

Today very overcast but grand. I'd say our look will run out tomorrow though. I might have to increase my score for August after this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Interestingly, this August will be the sunniest or second sunniest August this decade in Dublin and probably the sunniest month of Summer 2019. I'd expect Augusts 2010 and 2014 were much sunnier than August 2019 for most parts of the country. I might even give August a 7 after seeing this given I rate August 2016 rather highly even though it wasn't especially sunny.
    sryanbruen wrote: »
    Up to 28th, Casement Aerodrome has seen 180.4 hrs of sun this August making it the sunniest August since 2010 there (183.6 hrs) and sixth sunniest on record back to 1964. I think this is more a reflection of how dull August has been as a summer month recently rather than how sunny this August is. Like in comparison, August 1995 had 252.7 hrs and August 1976 had 236.0 hrs - the only two Augusts that have had a monthly sun total of at least 200 hrs at Casement. It will be the sunniest month of the year (unless September turned out to be exceptionally sunny) in Dublin it looks like.

Dublin Airport has seen almost 20 hours less than Casement with 161.1 hrs although still the sunniest August here since 2010.

Data from Met Éireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Suns out in Arklow
    Circa 18c
    Feeling lovely
    Strong breeze but not a cold one

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Despite the poor week 2 and terrible week 3 of August, this month hasn't been as poor as many other Augusts. Week one was still the best with the warmest temperatures and most sunshine. This past week has been fairly decent too with temperatures just making it into the low 20s with plenty of dry and sometimes sunny weather.

If it wasn't for all that rain during the mid point of August, this would have been a fairly decent August overall, but my score of 5/10 for this August still stands, due to the amount of rain that fell over a 2 week period and the lack of any real heat.

15 days this August reached 20C or more at Dunshaughlin, that's certainly better than most year's. However like all of this summer, our max is very low, with 22C being the highest temperature of the month here. Most other days were 17 to 19C with only one cool day, Wednesday 21st of August only made it to 16C. Tomorrow or Saturday could yet end up being the coolest days of August, we shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

appledrop wrote: »
    We have been very lucky in Dublin this week. Monday + Tuesday lovely days. Mixed day yesterday but apart from odd shower stayed dry.

Today very overcast but grand. I'd say our look will run out tomorrow though. I might have to increase my score for August after this week!

There was no rain recorded here yesterday, in fact there's been no rain recorded here for the past week. It's been fairly sunny here today. The current temperature's 18.9C. 17 of the 28 up to yesterday had highs of over 20C.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭appledrop

Ah remember now Dublin is a mixed bag ! I'm near the airport so never as warm with sea breezes but definitely a lot better than expected this week.

Meanwhile out West theres been about 6 dry days and buckets of rain

September usually dries off a bit so might take holidays then

In July my wife asked me why arent you taking holidays in August. Because I said its the wettest month of the year....i.e. heat meeting moisture followed by cold air. A recipe for rainfall

1976 and 1995 were the only exceptions

The 21st Century has not had a heatwave out West yet like June or July have in other years

• Advertisement

August just seems to be getting worse year on year here, in the last 40 years we have had 30 Augusts with 100mm of rain or more and currently 11 in a row.

The highest officially being 259.8mm in 1985 and the lowest 10.7mm in 1995, unofficially 2009 had over 270mm.

Advertisement