Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pauldry wrote: »
    Meanwhile out West theres been about 6 dry days and buckets of rain

September usually dries off a bit so might take holidays then

In July my wife asked me why arent you taking holidays in August. Because I said its the wettest month of the year....i.e. heat meeting moisture followed by cold air. A recipe for rainfall

1976 and 1995 were the only exceptions

The 21st Century has not had a heatwave out West yet like June or July have in other years

With the exception of 2003 of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Interestingly, this August will be the sunniest or second sunniest August this decade in Dublin and probably the sunniest month of Summer 2019. I'd expect Augusts 2010 and 2014 were much sunnier than August 2019 for most parts of the country. I might even give August a 7 after seeing this given I rate August 2016 rather highly even though it wasn't especially sunny.

This is why I can’t understand people rating Dublin 4/10 for this summer. June was poor but July was excellent and the 1st week and the last week or so of August have also been good. For me this summer in Dublin is around 6.5-7/10. Over 40 days with over 20 degrees temps in Dublin this summer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This is why I can’t understand people rating Dublin 4/10 for this summer. June was poor but July was excellent and the 1st week and the last week or so of August have also been good. For me this summer in Dublin is around 6.5-7/10. Over 40 days with over 20 degrees temps in Dublin this summer

my main reason for giving August a 5/10 is all that rain and no temperatures above 24C.

This is the rainfall for this year so far at my local station of Dunsany, I'm only a 20 minute drive from Blanchardstown, so not that far away from Dublin.

January - 38.2mm
    February - 34.5mm
    March - 109.4mm
    April - 73.1mm
    May - 39.8mm
    June - 78.1mm
    July - 35.3mm
    August (to yesterday) 118.3mm

Did a quick analysis on 20c days at Casement Aerodrome for every year back to 1964 (includes all of the year into the equation, not just June to August). 2019 has had 40 20c days at Casement up to August 28th which is slightly above the 1981-2010 average of 38 days (comparable to 1997, 1971, 1981, 1969).

Largest amount of 20c days:

2006 - 73
    2018 - 67
    1975 - 65
    1995 - 65
    2003 - 62

Lowest amount of 20c days:

1993 - 11
    1986 - 15
    1965 - 18
    1974 - 18
    1966 - 23

2019 lies in the middle pretty much at this point for 20c days at Casement.

Data from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Interestingly, this August will be the sunniest or second sunniest August this decade in Dublin and probably the sunniest month of Summer 2019. I'd expect Augusts 2010 and 2014 were much sunnier than August 2019 for most parts of the country. I might even give August a 7 after seeing this given I rate August 2016 rather highly even though it wasn't especially sunny.

Has it even been particularly sunny or is it just a case of every other August being miserable? Hasn't felt particularly sunny to me but not terribly dull either. My main issue with August is probably the showery weather, I was fed up of being caught out in a shower practically everyday from the 9th right up to last week.

• Advertisement

In all fairness, August has been generally very bleak this decade so that statistic really doesn't say much unless we see the actual figures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Is the Athenry total (to 28th) of 249.4mm a record for August or even a record for Athenry?

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Has it even been particularly sunny or is it just a case of every other August being miserable? Hasn't felt particularly sunny to me but not terribly dull either. My main issue with August is probably the showery weather, I was fed up of being caught out in a shower practically everyday from the 9th right up to last week.
    It is quite sunny compared to average at Dublin Airport whilst the Casement Aerodrome total is more remarkable (as mentioned in the post it's currently the sixth sunniest on record). August avg is around 142-146 hrs. 17th was probably the best day between 9th to 22nd, the day I came back from Donegal conveniently enough. This August has felt sunny to me like the stat says but August 2010 felt sunnier to me.

It is quite sunny compared to average at Dublin Airport whilst the Casement Aerodrome total is more remarkable (as mentioned in the post it's currently the sixth sunniest on record). August avg is around 142-146 hrs. 17th was probably the best day between 9th to 22nd, the day I came back from Donegal conveniently enough. This August has felt sunny to me like the stat says but August 2010 felt sunnier to me.

How much sunshine did the first week and last Friday up to yesterday have? Maybe that gave the totals a good boost.

Artane2002 wrote: »
    How much sunshine did the first week and last Friday up to yesterday have? Maybe that gave the totals a good boost.
    1st-8th: 50.9 hrs
    23rd-28th: 49.1 hrs

Not that big a boost as you may think. These are Casement totals by the way.

Quite overcast in Dublin 13 past hour after on and off sunshine during most of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

This was another day with a high of greater than 20 @ 20.1C in the last hour although it's only 18.7C now and overcast.

There was a bit of rain just now which I could hear on the roof which dampened the ground but nothing measurable. It's 18.4C now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Dark, wet and windy in Donegal, another in a long, long line of crap days

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a fairly pleasant and dry afternoon here at Dunshaughlin, temperature reached 19C earlier in the sunshine.

Tomorrow could reach 19 or 20C in a few places in the east if there is any sunshine, but cloud and rain will make it's way from the west later tomorrow or tomorrow night. Looks much cooler and fresher from the weekend with mid teens rather than high teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Cloudy dry but fairly windy...Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Cloudy dry but fairly windy...Galway

Same here in meath, feels very very mild

• Registered Users Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

18.2c now and I can't see it falling much lower tonight.
    Met E going for a high of 20c tomorrow but my prediction is for a high of 25c in the Dublin area if there is good sunshine which is very possible in the lee of the mountains. Seen it before in this set up when a frontal wave approaches with a warm southerly airflow ahead of the front.
    25 might be a bit ott but it will certainly be over 20c.

Still can’t get over how the ground is bone dry here in Dublin. Not a drop has hit our garden since last Thursday. Am sure that will change over the coming days but it just shows how random Irish weather is and how localized weather can be

1st-8th: 50.9 hrs
    23rd-28th: 49.1 hrs

Not that big a boost as you may think. These are Casement totals by the way.

Quite overcast in Dublin 13 past hour after on and off sunshine during most of the day.

The wet weather during the middle chunk of the month must have distorted my view then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Drizzle here now in Kildare.

Apart from last weekend which was nice to be fair, another August easy to forget about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Still can’t get over how the ground is bone dry here in Dublin. Not a drop has hit our garden since last Thursday. Am sure that will change over the coming days but it just shows how random Irish weather is and how localized weather can be

Not really either random or localised.
    You live in the driest county in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭OldRio

Heavy rain in Leitrim. Started early hours and still coming down. Strong gusty wind accompanying the rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

As it has for much of this summer it’s very cloudy this morning. Dry so fat but windy. It’s been a very disappointing summer overall here in the south midlands. Maybe a 4 out of 10.

Cloudy but dry morning in Dublin

Just had a few drops of rain here and the wind has picked up. It's 17.1C.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Cloudy, very breezy with light rain in Meath

Steady rain in West Mayo with a stiff breeze. Only another 15 hrs to go according to the forecast!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Ninth day in a row with no measurable rainfall, though radar indicates that may change today (hopefully).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Just had a few drops of rain here and the wind has picked up. It's 17.1C.

Nothing much came of it; still no recorded rain here in the last week. Still quite breezy and overcast here. 17.7C.

• Advertisement

drizzly rain here, barely enough to wet the ground.

Advertisement