Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

3 or 4 very large claps of thunder now accompanied by heavy rain. Very very dark out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just had one of the heaviest hail showers I've seen in a while in Cork City, transitioned to heavy rain then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

3 or 4 very large claps of thunder now accompanied by heavy rain. Very very dark out.
    Just had one of the heaviest hail showers I've seen in a while in Cork City, transitioned to heavy rain then!

From one end of the country to the other, i'm burnt after sitting out in the sun in the East, blue skies now for the evening :cool: while ye suffer downpours, it's pot luck! :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a glorious afternoon here in Meath, almost unbroken sunshine, makes a change from yesterday's downpours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

klaaaz wrote: »
    From one end of the country to the other, i'm burnt after sitting out in the sun in the East, blue skies now for the evening :cool: while ye suffer downpours, it's pot luck! :(

Be careful. Had a similar day to you, beautiful. The heavey shower came out of nowhere. It's blue Sky's all around now again and a balmy 16c

• Advertisement

Be careful. Had a similar day to you, beautiful. The heavey shower came out of nowhere. It's blue Sky's all around now again and a balmy 16c

I do watch the rainfall radar and the infrared satellite(cloud) for Ireland like a hawk! Today Met Eireann said there would be afternoon showers for Dublin like yesterday, that never materialised this time. Instead, we had a magnificent summers day(my therm said 18C) with mostly blue skies from about 12pm onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭compsys

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Met Eireann's latest 'Ag report' summary for the last 7 days with a comparison with the same report for the same period last year:

uGeyWPl.png

Such a difference! Around 5 degrees cooler this time around and a hell of a lot wetter too. Note how much higher the soil temps were this time last year as well. Almost 20 degrees on average compared to the current 13.6 degrees.

Data - Met Eireann

How can the Dublin Airport temp be so far behind the others while its soil temp looks above average compared to the rest?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

OT

48C in Delhi, a record for June.

Fair number of heatwaves across the northern hemisphere. We seem to be in an island of cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

Stunning evening. 18c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Since this morning's heavy rain of 2.4mm it's been a beautiful sunny day here in north Dublin but the high temperature was only 18.1C. It's currently 17.9C and sunny. I spent the last week in England visiting in-laws. I'm glad we didn't go this week looking at the amount of rain they're getting and forecast to get.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ECM want's to bring something more like summer, close to us from about the 20th of June with significantly warmer temperatures and more settled conditions.

ECMOPEU00_240_1.png

The GFS is having none of it and wants to keep is in a cool and unsettled pattern. Fingers crossed the ECM proofs to be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

COME ON THE ECM!!!!

Let's hope the ECM run comes true. Today has been a truly lovely summers day on the east coast at about 18C. Don't care if the ECM run results in 18C or 25C as long as its pleasant with little wind! :) Even now at 7:30pm it's still pleasant to sit out in the evening sun! (yes i'm a sun worshipper today :D)

Let's hope the ECM run comes true. Today has been a truly lovely summers day on the east coast at about 18C. Don't care if the ECM run results in 18C or 25C as long as its pleasant with little wind! :) Even now at 7:30pm it's still pleasant to sit out in the evening sun! (yes i'm a sun worshipper today :D)

after a dodgy start this morning, today has turned out wonderful. We've had unbroken sunshine since about 3pm, the last time we had a day this good was the Easter warm spell back in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭joe199

Well over due

It's all about the breeze. You could sit out in mid Winter in direct sunlight if there's no breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Artane2002

compsys wrote: »
    How can the Dublin Airport temp be so far behind the others while its soil temp looks above average compared to the rest?

That was last year, remember we had cooling onshore breezes pegging the temperatures back compared to the rest of the country.

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's all about the breeze. You could sit out in mid Winter in direct sunlight if there's no breeze.

True. Important part also is having a sheltered spot protecting yourself from the breeze :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I’d say after the shower earlier today when I was doing my Maths exam (stopped as soon as I was finished :D ), this has definitely been the best day for sunny weather since at least 13th May in my part of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,234 ✭✭✭✭km79

Brightening up now
    Hopefully a sign of things to come next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

Keep that ECM run positive...Please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭appledrop

Cannot believe it. Sunshine in evening time. I actually got to sit outside after work + have my dinner. Ok so still only about 17 degrees but after the weather we have had recently it felt amazing!

Still bright out 23:13. Lovley calm evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Top 5 warmest summers on record for Ireland (records back to 1967) using the IMT.

1. 1995; 16.6c
    2. 1983; 16.0c
    3. 2018; 16.0c
    4. 1976; 16.0c
    5. 2013; 15.7c

Top 5 coolest summers on record in comparison.

1. 1972; 13.3c
    2. 1985; 13.4c
    3. 2011; 13.4c
    4. 1986; 13.5c
    5. 1974; 13.5c

Data from Met Éireann.

Where did 2012 come in the ranking of cold summers? Suprised it's not there. Or was it just desperately wet and dull?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Where did 2012 come in the ranking of cold summers? Suprised it's not there. Or was it just desperately wet and dull?

Precisely Neddy, that is indeed the reason. The season didn't really have cold nights either with all the cloud and rain, August was on the relatively warmer side too.

In terms of the IMT, 2012 ranks as the 19th coolest on record with a mean value of 14.4c (1981-2010 average is around 14.8c). 2011 was a much cooler summer but also drier (2015 was colder too).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭pauldry

2011 was very cold in the Northwest

It was the year my kids were born and bar a couple of days round their birthdate in July when it got to 24c most days in July were only 14 or 15c

Most years since their birthday 24th July or the few days preceding have been the warmest days of the Summer.

Last year though it was "only" 25c and not the 29c we had up here in June

Currently 8c this June

pauldry wrote: »
    2011 was very cold in the Northwest

It was the year my kids were born and bar a couple of days round their birthdate in July when it got to 24c most days in July were only 14 or 15c

Most years since their birthday 24th July or the few days preceding have been the warmest days of the Summer.

Last year though it was "only" 25c and not the 29c we had up here in June

Currently 8c this June

The one good thing I remember about 2011 was a really warm spring/April and a really warm late Sept/Oct ?

We didn't get that really warm spring this year although twas mild at times.

Lovely morning in North Dublin for the commute into town

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It’s cold and very dark here. Rain threatening not a nice morning for anything. The talk of lovely morning and balmy evenings is completely the opposite of what we are experiencing.

Advertisement