Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,266 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

From the radar on met eireann website for later, it looks like a lot of the rain is going to miss Cork? Maybe a few showers? Last night it looked like a huge amount was coming our way

• Registered Users Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Weird yellow thing in this sky the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

It's only 13 days into summer. Losing faith now would be similar to losing faith for snow two weeks before Christmas.

True, but while I can easily remember great weather in May/June I struggle to remember good July/August’s- to my memory those months stick out as when previous good summers have broken down. Once you get into August things take on an autumnal feeling pretty quickly, noticeably darker evening etc. I just love have good summer weather around the longest days of the year.
    I do remember one bad summer in school when the weather got really good in September and there was a call for extra time off for schools!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5APc0z49wg

Ever y morning is utterly great in its own way ... Love life!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

signs of improvements for next week in this mornings charts and ensembles. Temperatures warming up gradually from this weekend. If we get a dry day or two with sunny spells, the warmer wind direction could bring temperatures close to 20C later next week.

Charts are still rolling out, but i'm liking what I see from about the 25th of June, with much warmer temperatures and uppers coming close to us. It's a step in the right direction anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭appledrop

It's only 13 days into summer. Losing faith now would be similar to losing faith for snow two weeks before Christmas.

Unfortunately as we know from past experience when the miserable summer weather gets established it is very hard to shift it so that's why do many people have no hope for this summer. Also June has the longest days. If we get the nice weather in late August/ September you don't get to enjoy it in evening time to same extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,200 ✭✭✭✭km79

Gonzo wrote: »
    signs of improvements for next week in this mornings charts and ensembles. Temperatures warming up gradually from this weekend. If we get a dry day or two with sunny spells, the warmer wind direction could bring temperatures close to 20C later next week.

Charts are still rolling out, but i'm liking what I see from about the 25th of June, with much warmer temperatures and uppers coming close to us. It's a step in the right direction anyway.

That’s when we get back from holidays
    I deserve that after missing heat wave last year

• Registered Users Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭highdef

lawred2 wrote: »
    tenor.gif

Gay Pride week is the last week of June so it would make sense that the weather improves then because the gays always get great weather for their parade. LoL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Well I'd take 13 degrees for the rest of the summer if this incessant rain would let up. Every single day there's at least a few showers. Bucketing down here now again it's utterly miserable. Hopefully the trends showing in the charts comes to pass for next week, could really do with some sunshine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭appledrop

Lashing again. I think I need to leave my car into the garage.The temperature gauge is permanently stuck on 12 degrees. It's depressing. At this stage 16 degrees would be a heatwave never mind 20!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Miserable in Meath.
    Lashing rain and the schools sports day.
    Cold. Hats, gloves, coats.
    Meanwhile friends sending photos of blue skies in Inishbofin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Miserable in Meath.
    Lashing rain and the schools sports day.
    Cold. Hats, gloves, coats.
    Meanwhile friends sending photos of blue skies in Inishbofin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,164 ✭✭✭pad199207

Moderate rain in N Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Very poor start to summer. Grass & crop rowth is right back here.

Can anyone remember - the last one like this was 2015 I think?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

km79 wrote: »
    That’s when we get back from holidays
    I deserve that after missing heat wave last year

the improvement may not last too long tho, the far edge of FI shows low pressure again heading straight for us from the north-west with more cool conditions. This is over 2 weeks away so may not happen, but looks like any improvements will be short lived with no sustained period of settled conditions on the horizon. We may have to wait till mid July or later for a proper dry and settled spell. However, we could have a few nice days here and there in the second half of June which is a big improvement on what we've just experienced over the past 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Well it has to happen now because you've just promised :-)))))

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Sporadic heavy downpours in Castlebar, just 10.8C.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

gozunda wrote: »
    Very poor start to summer. Grass & crop rowth is right back here.

Can anyone remember - the last one like this was 2015 I think?

Did a check and yes 2015 was a fairly awful summer- my memory is not that bad yet ;)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96970829&postcount=1744

Hope this year is not a repeat ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,556 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

gozunda wrote: »
    Did a check and yes 2015 was a fairly awful summer- my memory is not that bad yet ;)

Hope this year is not a repeat ...

Only takeaway from summer 2015 was the fact that June was dry and sunny for most, otherwise it was a dismal season with a lot of dull, cool and wet weather. July was among the worst I've experienced along with 2012. Meanwhile, mainland Europe was in the grips of a heatwave summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Only takeaway from summer 2015 was the fact that June was dry and sunny for most, otherwise it was a dismal season with a lot of dull, cool and wet weather. July was among the worst I've experienced along with 2012. Meanwhile, mainland Europe was in the grips of a heatwave summer.
    We were in Austria in Sept 2015 and the heat was unbearable .They had a summer of awful heat and people dieing in Vienna and Brastislava from the heat .We visited Vienna in 40 degrees and could only go out at night to see the city !
    Meantime it was a bad summer here

Oh dear, Beijing Climate Centre seasonal model finally updated for summer (first time since April) and it's not good... at all. In fact, it shows a complete write off of a summer with intense northern blocking from June to August and a trough right over Ireland. No letting up from June if it were to verify.

Lashing now in Dublin 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Oh dear, Beijing Climate Centre seasonal model finally updated for summer (first time since April) and it's not good... at all. In fact, it shows a complete write off of a summer with intense northern blocking from June to August and a trough right over Ireland. No letting up from June if it were to verify.

Lashing now in Dublin 13.
    How accurate can they really be though? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48,200 ✭✭✭✭km79

Warmed and brightened up slightly in east Galway
    And holding dry for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

So many people in Ireland, especially women, really have lost all comprehension of what "cold" means.

Just because it's cool for the time of year, does not mean it's cold. And the way people convince themselves it's cold when it's not, and putting on the heating and loads of layers, is lowering their tolerance of non hot temperatures even more!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So many people in Ireland, especially women, really have lost all comprehension of what "cold" means.

Just because it's cool for the time of year, does not mean it's cold. And the way people convince themselves it's cold when it's not, and putting on the heating and loads of layers, is lowering their tolerance of non hot temperatures even more!
    My house was 10 degrees when I got up yesterday . If it was 10 degrees in winter you wouldn't dream of sitting without the heat on . My heat went on becuase I was cold , I think I was the best judge of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Just started bucketing down now in South Dublin

Edit: Well bucketing down was a slight exaggeration it has died down fairly quickly but still raining fairly heavily

How accurate can they really be though? :(

No better than any other seasonal model which all have poor accuracy as I'm pretty sure you're well aware of by this stage. Guess it's better to see a LRF model forecast very poor weather than high pressure dominance so we don't get our hopes up. Medium range models don't show anything particularly good but still better than what this model shows as the blocking to the north is much weaker. Medium range models have had the hand over long range models in the past year since the end of the summer drought generally (I don't need to mention the winter disaster).

It is sort of strange how good modelling was during the 2018 extremes and picking them up at quite a distance away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

A few graupels falling here in Meath!

No wait. Rain.

It's just rain.

It's rain.

Apologies with these temperatures, I've got chills. They're mystifying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I don't mind the odd wet day even in the summer but this is just getting depressing now at this stage was hoping the temperatures would rise by now. I thought last after the ok weather last weekend and even at the start of this week the weather would start to warm up and stay consistent for a few days but no sign of temperatures picking up yet.

Next week appears to be slightly warmer 15/16°C but still wet so hopefully temperatures will keep up and won't fall back down to what they are now.

Advertisement