Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

For this to be declared a heatwave we have to have five consecutive days in which the maximum temperature exceeds the average by five Celsius. We would have needed at least 5 days of about 25C or higher and mostly nationwide for a heatwave to be declared. The majority of this spell was high teens to low 20's with parts of the western half of the country getting above 25C on Thursday. No heatwave in the UK either, they had similar conditions to us. The heatwave never made it past the French coastline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

Here in the northeast and it would appear that the mini heatwave is very much gone (overcast/showery), so far it ain’t living up to recent summers of 2013, 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

km79 wrote: »
    Gorgeous morning in the west

I'd like at least one of the two!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sunny spells in cork but overcast most of the time, about 18 degrees though so at least it's warmer then yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

It was a disaster of a heatwave. 2 lovely days. I needed 4 together. June 2019 was a poor month. Anyway roll on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

eon1208 wrote: »
    June 2019 was a poor month.

That's an understatement. One of the worst summer months I've seen with August 2011, June/July 2012, August 2014, July 2015 and August 2017. The final week did not revitalise this crap June for me. It's a 2/10 from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lovely out now. I took a mug of good coffee outside and sat in the garden chair by the gate with three of the cats, watching varied clouds scudding across the sky with that soft breeze we have out here today. Just lovely. Far better than crashbang dazzle! Peaceful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It was a disaster of a heatwave. 2 lovely days. I needed 4 together. June 2019 was a poor month. Anyway roll on.

I couldn't agree more, a very, very poor month with some exceptionally poor temperatures and plenty of rain and cloud. We had our fire lit most evenings for the majority of this month up till last weekend. We also ran out of our coal and log reserve, normally kept for mid September or beginning of October. Majority of days were below average temperatures and we only got a few hours of warm sunshine yesterday with slightly above average temperatures. Most of this month was a write off in my opinion and i'm looking forward to hopefully a better July and August.

This June scores a 1/10 for me, a cold, chilly month and the heatwave which went pear shaped and did nothing to improve my opinion of this June.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Cork city cloudy breezy not warm just rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Very warm near the foot of the Dublin mountains earlier. Our older kid had her birthday party in Explorium and the humidity when we were outside in the play area was something else. Quite pleasant though unless you were planning on exerting yourself!

• Advertisement

according to the met ie rainfall map we have rain and when I go to the door it is starting! Great as we need it for the garden. Not great for the neighbour;s hay...

met ie is clever!

Lovely way to end a lovely day out here,, west mayo offshore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The outlook is pretty good if you can believe the 15 days GFS outlook, no heatwave but the finger of fudge that extends from the Azores looks pretty steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Very warm right now in North Dublin

bright and sunny at Dunshaughlin, decent enough evening, temperature peaking now at 20C.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Grand evening here in county meath after a cloudy enough start to the day, sunny and not much cloud, breeze blowing strong enough to hear the tunes from navan racecourse

• Registered Users Posts: 21,911 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Lovely afternoon and evening here in Laois , this was the sky twenty minutes ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It got nice and mostly sunny here in Dublin 11 this evening, once this afternoon's cloud cleared. It's 21.1C now, after reaching a high of 22.7C a short while ago.

Dining under blue skies. Glass of Pinot Grigio. Lovely.

Some fairly fast moving clouds have blotted the sun out. Still balmy though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭lolie

Some nice big convection building up this evening, looking east of here over north meath.
    Suprised theres no sparks up the north west looked at the radar returns on netweather.
    IMG-20190629-185638.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

Are you the poster with hay down? Do you think you will get it tomorrow?
    Yes. It rained on it this morning. Nothing could be done. The thunder was more westerly than forecast. Will let it dry for 48 hours if no more rain and try salvage it. Bit of a disastrous morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Some great skyscapes today, almost tropical looking with a lot of convection and instability around. Just after driving out west but looking at the radar I see I just dodged some torrential rain

Another cell just kicked off in Cavan, from nothing to 120mm/hr rain rate in 10 minutes!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Perfect cloud line!

vEpPZ82_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭appledrop

Today was another fab summer's day here in Dublin. Yes it was cloudy but that suited us as out all day at Flavours of Fingal so with small kids too sunny not ideal. It was still roasting all day + sun came out this evening.

I know June was crap but I have had two amazing family days in a row that I'll remember in years to come + hopefully blot out the rest of this June!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'm liking this pleasant weather.
    Mostly overcast, nice temps of 17/18C

Anything over that I sweat too much.
    Nice break from the heat, not windy or rainy.

Perfect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yes. It rained on it this morning. Nothing could be done. The thunder was more westerly than forecast. Will let it dry for 48 hours if no more rain and try salvage it. Bit of a disastrous morning.

Pity the rain got as far as you,least its giving next week fine so you should get it and don't have to wrap it but you hate to see any hay getting rain on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Graces7 wrote: »
    Lovely out now. I took a mug of good coffee outside and sat in the garden chair by the gate with three of the cats, watching varied clouds scudding across the sky with that soft breeze we have out here today. Just lovely. Far better than crashbang dazzle! Peaceful.

Sounds lovely. Where are you based?

Waking to as wild and windy and wet a morning as ever was. There are no mountains, only low, lowering heavy cloud. Cosy!

West Mayo offshore island

rain now a deluge; no walking the cats today..But the garden needs a soaking

MT's forecast for the next few days is largely at odds with ME's forecast.

ME have daily temps all week bar Wednesday around the 15 mark.. wtf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

lawred2 wrote: »
    MT's forecast for the next few days is largely at odds with ME's forecast.

ME have daily temps all week bar Wednesday around the 15 mark.. wtf?

What? Met Eireann's Maxima are 19-22 all week?

Advertisement