Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Blue sky this morning in cork city, about 17 degrees! Nice start to the day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Was a horrible evening here yesterday in north meath, dark and wet for a lot of it, cloudy again this morning but dry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

This has to be one of the most miserable summers I have experienced. Despite some warmth it's mostly cloudy. I'm still taking the higher dose of Vitamin D I normally reserve for the winter months. My seasonal affective disorder is hitting me hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Bit overcast in Dublin but warm

Grand really

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Emme wrote: »
    This has to be one of the most miserable summers I have experienced. Despite some warmth it's mostly cloudy. I'm still taking the higher dose of Vitamin D I normally reserve for the winter months. My seasonal affective disorder is hitting me hard.

Where are you based?

• Advertisement

Well if you were to look at Met Eireanns Siobhan last night you’d swear we were going to wake up to wall to wall sunshine ? Blue skies and little yellow suns all over her map of Ireland ? Dull and grey here in East Meath and I’m only 2km from coast.
    I hate the way Met Eireann get our expectations up , then they’re wrong !

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Lovely morning in east Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Beautiful in Arklow,
    19c almost already

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lovely morning in cork city, fresh and sunny after 3 day of horrible overcast humid weather. Can breathe today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Still miserable in Letterkenny, raining all morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 seanmaol

Cloudy morning here in Clare, but clouds starting to roll back and sun starting to appear. Looks like its going to be a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Where are you based?

If I had to guess I'd say somewhere in the SE, there was even a mist on the hills at my parents house over the weekend.

Seanachai wrote: »
    If I had to guess I'd say somewhere in the SE, there was even a mist on the hills at my parents house over the weekend.

I'd regard Arklow borderline SE
    21c atm and sunny

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

definite feeling of the sun about the break the clouds here in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Still miserable in Letterkenny, raining all morning

Send some down here, ground is getting very dry here in north Cork, no significant rain for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Where are you based?

South Kildare

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sun starting to break through here in Meath, feeling warm with a temperature of 18C.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Clouded over now in cork city, still warm enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Why I rate this summer so low up to this point is not because of rain or low temperatures as I said but the lack of sunshine. The lack of sunshine has been rather notable in this part of Dublin since April (after an exceptionally sunny February and rather sunny March too) and stats from Dublin Airport do show this.

From May 1st to July 8th, Dublin Apt has had 349.0 hrs of sunshine (an average of 5.1 hrs per day) which doesn't sound too terrible (by Irish standards at least) but May had only 139.0 hrs which is well below the long-term average of around 192 hrs. Second half (16th-31st) was particularly poor with only 56.3 hrs. June had a total of 159.8 hrs which isn't exceptionally dull but still duller than average. This total was clearly masked by a relatively sunnier second half (100.2 hrs) though as the first half (1st-15th) had an atrocious total of 59.6 hrs.

Compare the same period (May 1st to July 8th) in previous years:

2018; 579.7 hrs (an average of 8.4 hrs of sun per day!)
    2017; 416.3 hrs
    2016; 393.0 hrs
    2015; 413.5 hrs
    2014; 396.5 hrs
    2013; 456.3 hrs
    2012; 355.2 hrs
    2011; 444.8 hrs
    2010; 488.3 hrs

So the respective period in 2019 has been the dullest in the past decade at Dublin Apt, even just about duller than 2012 and obviously a far cry from last year's (2018) exceptional frequency of sunny days.

Data from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,140 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

How is over here(eg Claremorris) doing for sunshine Sryan, compared to last year? doesn't seem to dull

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's certainly been dull much of the time here in Meath since May, even since I arrived home on Sunday I haven't seen more than 2 or 3 minutes of sunshine and that was half an hour ago, fully cloudy here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I'd regard Arklow borderline SE
    21c atm and sunny

There seems to be a lot of micro-climate stuff going on this year, I move between Dublin and the SE and I've barely seen a full day of clear skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Looking increasingly positive for the weekend and in to next week. Potentially turning hot for some too and high pressure much more assertive.

Some evolution to go across the models before things are more cast iron certain but I likes the look of things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

the sun is breaking through out here and I can hear a wee breeze.. always sunny when I have a migraine :rolleyes:

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

The sun is shining in Dublin 11 now and it's 20.1C .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very warm inland today with temperature of 23c now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

3rd dull day in a row here in the North-East, thankfully though in the 2nd half of Saturday the sun shone for my sons birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

How is over here(eg Claremorris) doing for sunshine Sryan, compared to last year? doesn't seem to dull

Unfortunately, Claremorris stopped recording sunshine quite a while ago (when it was the dullest synoptic station in the entire world if I remember correctly or at least one of). However, here's Belmullet and Knock Airport sunshine totals for the same period (May 1st to July 8th).

Belmullet

2019; 377.6 hrs
    2018; 458.8 hrs
    2017; 383.6 hrs
    2016; 405.9 hrs
    2015; 326.8 hrs
    2014; 433.9 hrs
    2013; 377.5 hrs
    2012; N/A
    2011; 432.5 hrs
    2010; 443.5 hrs

Knock Airport

2019; 310.0 hrs
    2018; 454.5 hrs
    2017; 306.8 hrs
    2016; 336.9 hrs
    2015; 269.3 hrs
    2014; 279.0 hrs
    2013; 326.4 hrs
    2012; 271.9 hrs
    2011; 329.6 hrs
    2010; 414.1 hrs

Overall, I'd say around average for you.

Data from Met Éireann.

Seanachai wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of micro-climate stuff going on this year, I move between Dublin and the SE and I've barely seen a full day of clear skies.

No different to be honest to the usual,Every year in the Lee of the Wicklow mans in a westerly or SW,skies clear
    Its been documented on this forum several times
    That's happening today
    You'll experience that driving down the M11 to Waterford when it occurs but not the M9

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    Very warm inland today with temperature of 23c now

Currently 24.1c in Tullow via carlowweather.com

Advertisement