Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

John.Icy wrote: »
    24 at the airport. That's some gradient.

It really is, the stations are only 7.3 km apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Considering what was forecast it’s disappointing in my humble opinion. It’s breezy it’s cloudy it’s warm but certainly not roasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭compsys

Rougies wrote: »
    It really is, the stations are only 7.3 km apart.

That's nothing compared to what can happen on cool, clear nights in particular.

I've seen times when Dublin Airport has been 7 degrees colder than PP or Casement at a given hour.

Seemingly the station was moved a few years ago to a far cooler (but maybe more representative) location.

I'd imagine PP suffers from a very slight UHI effect too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Considering what was forecast it’s disappointing in my humble opinion. It’s breezy it’s cloudy it’s warm but certainly not roasting.

What forrecast we're you reading?

It's 25c here near Mitchelstown with plenty cloud and breeze. Exactly what was forcasted?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Like a hairdryer in West Clare, lovely, somewhat sunny (nice period of 30mins sun ongoing now) 24.2c now, beautiful. Very humid though. Dewpoint of 19°c!

My expectation for today was low cloudy and mist, so they were well beaten!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I love this type of day, for me around 27 degrees is ideal. I find over 30 degrees starts to feel unpleasant.

I was in New York recently and every day was between 32-35 degrees and it felt brutally hot. Mind you big humidity over there too. What really struck me about New York was walking back after an evening out and it was still about 28-30 degrees at midnight! New York hit 38 over the weekend with a real feel of 44. Horrific !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

John.Icy wrote: »
    24 at the airport. That's some gradient.

The airport is more or less rural
    Phoenix park though a huge park is enclosed by an urban heat island
    So not that unusual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Air conditioning was a Godsend today. It was actually too cold but no one wanted to touch the thermometer.

For the first time I didn't want to leave work. 😜

At least the train has air conditioning as well. Home not so much.

Is 27 degrees the warmest day of the year in Dublin so far? I think there were a good few days in the mid 20s towards the end of June.

Beautiful day today but still a good bit off that warmest day last year during heatwave, I think 31 was reached in Phoenix park last year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

reached 26C in Dunshaughlin today, easily the warmest day of the year so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I love this type of day, for me around 27 degrees is ideal. I find over 30 degrees starts to feel unpleasant.

I was in New York recently and every day was between 32-35 degrees and it felt brutally hot. Mind you big humidity over there too. What really struck me about New York was walking back after an evening out and it was still about 28-30 degrees at midnight! New York hit 38 over the weekend with a real feel of 44. Horrific !

I've always loved warm humid nights, love lying outside at night with total silence when it's still nice and warm

Dark and grey most of the day in Letterkenny but some brief sunny spells now and feeling warm enough. Very windy though so taking a big edge off the temperature

Forecast was suggesting drizzle might linger all day though so can't complain I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Another contender for world's worst heatwave! ;)

What forrecast we're you reading?

It's 25c here near Mitchelstown with plenty cloud and breeze. Exactly what was forcasted?

Scorcher. Hotter than the costa Del sol. Glorious summer day were 3 phrases I heard much in use yesterday.

27 degrees today, 25 tomorrow and low 20s over the weekend. Don’t see much wrong with it

Scorcher. Hotter than the costa Del sol. Glorious summer day were 3 phrases I heard much in use yesterday.

Ah for heaven's sake,with respect you're around here long enough not to be believing red tops...or quoting them
    There is one forecasting agency in the Rep of Ireland headquartered in Glasnevin
    Theres also Mt Cranium here of course

Let's not include Nathan Rau or whatyamaycallhim james somebody or other

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

You on the wind up? Who ever said anything about a heatwave in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Met Eireanns definition of a heatwave should be stickied on the front page.

You on the wind up? Who ever said anything about a heatwave in Ireland?

In fairness I think the quote was in jest. The narrative for today on a very general level was for a scorcher of a summers day. It’s been very mild windy and cloudy. All you can do is laugh really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

You didn't hear that on a forecast like you first said though, did you?

You're mate down the shop or pub chatting isn't a forecast..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭OldRio

Overcast all day here in Leitrim. Showery. Very windy as well. At least it was warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The drizzle that was forecast has started in Castlebar, a strange day as it nearly got up to 22C but it was completely overcast with humidity over 85%.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

This same day last year, it wasn’t overly sunny and it got to nearly 27c in Dublin. I went to see Incredibles 2 and coming out to the warm weather after, I loved it even if it wasn’t exactly clear skies. I remember Corkians complaining that it was oppressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

In fairness I think the quote was in jest. The narrative for today on a very general level was for a scorcher of a summers day. It’s been very mild windy and cloudy. All you can do is laugh really.

Hmmm it's been very warm and sunny in Dublin since early afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,709 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Thank god I invested in my trusty fan

giphy.gif

ahhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭giveitholly

You could cut the tension in this thread today with a knife!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You could cut the tension in this thread today with a knife!!

Weather is serious business

Shower brewing here near Arklow at the moment actually

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Is 27 degrees the warmest day of the year in Dublin so far? I think there were a good few days in the mid 20s towards the end of June.

Beautiful day today but still a good bit off that warmest day last year during heatwave, I think 31 was reached in Phoenix park last year.

24.5 I think was the PP max, in July (before today of course). A 24.1 on the 28th of June was the months max. No stretch of mid-20s in Dublin at the end of June however. A 21/22 here or there around the max day. June fine spell was heavily dominated by E winds so Dublin missed out on warmer temperatures on several days.

July has fared better and PP has had several days of 22-24.5 (the max) thus far and then today raised the bar again.

(Max temps with a pinch of salt, laborious to go through daily data on a phone)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Muggy and cloudy in South Kildare. After a day in the office in Dublin looking at the sun through the window I'm not impressed. I still think it's one of the dullest summers ever considering the heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

What posters in the West have to understand is that the hottest places today were in places that are typically stuck at 19C when we get a proper heatwave.
    Often the Midlands and West will get the 25C+ temperatures, but the East Coast gets a permanent sea breeze keeping it cooler.
    Today was windy, but it was the southwest wind that helped drive up the temperatures on the east Coast.

Plus, the dew points are stupidly high.. It's a guaranteed sweat-fest.

Advertisement