Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

This summer really has a feel of the eighty's similar to what I grew up with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

You have an odd obsession with playing down the UK's climate and playing up Paris and Dublin, almost every one of your posts has some reference to one of the three :pac:

Back here, dark and windy as always though feeling warm so can't complain too much, think we've been getting the best of the weather up here this week

Definitely wouldn’t play up Ireland / Dublin climate! I have mentioned Dublin being a dry city which is statistically true but I certainly never claim Dublin to have a good climate.

In terms of downplaying UK climate the reality is their climate is also pretty woeful with the exception of the very south east. This week is an exceptional event. It’s called living in northwest Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

A poor enough day in Tralee. Rainy all morning and though it dried up in the afternoon, all we got then was mainly cloud and loads of wind. The only thing going for it is that it's fairly warm. Disappointing enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Mortelaro wrote: »
    7 0r 8 people isn't a lot but I think it's a pity to be obsessed with mother Englands weather
    Enjoy our own is my motto

You can post on netweather you know about Irish weather you know which is what I do,rarely

So is it not possible to be interested in both, or you know weather extremes, particularly something happening close by. Also it seems ok for you to post about Irish weather on a UK forum, yet you object to people discussing English weather here.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

I am surprised they are as high as 38 to be honest, north west Europe gets pretty poor weather to the main extent. Really you need to be on the continent landmass to get reliable warm summers each year. Only exception maybe is Belgium, Holland and northern France that are also not that warm (this week an exception of course). Really you can draw a line from Paris and Berlin and south of that and they always seem on a different level in terms of heat vs anything in UK and Ireland.

Average Summer in Sothern England, especially East and Southeast would be considered 8/10 summer in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

In terms of downplaying UK climate the reality is their climate is also pretty woeful with the exception of the very south east. This week is an exceptional event. It’s called living in northwest Europe

Places like Cumbria I would imagine gets rainfall amounts on par with the west of Ireland. The South East of England, as you say, seems to have its own distinct climate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    So the Irish can post about Irish weather on a UK forum, but you crib about the a couple of posters mentioning the UK weather on here? Don't start going all isolationist on us now Mortelaro. ;)

The weather in the UK is of interest at the moment, that is all.
    Not isolationist at all,just not feigning at it and broadly disinterested or relatively so
    More interested in the weather here like most people rather than out foreign
    In fact that's the attitude on UK fora too mostly,Imby mostly rather than foeignphile
    Anyway just dropped my opinion into the discussion
    It is my opinion, it may offend some but it's not meant to,no more than say any poster here getting excited or looking forward to a huge storm or something coming in might offend those affected adversely by it Etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Average Summer in Sothern England, especially East and Southeast would be considered 8/10 summer in Ireland.

I have close friends who have lived near Cornwall (southern England) for nearly 20 years and say the summers are anything but sunny and warm most days. I would agree regarding south east though over towards Kent. That however is a very small part of the overall UK.

What I always find odd is how people so often talk about the UK having much better weather than us. South east of England absolutely they do but outside of that (is. Most of England, all of wales and Scotland have a very similar climate to us).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Any indication of a forecast for the next 2 weeks?
    Anything settled or will westerlies dominate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Places like Cumbria I would imagine gets rainfall amounts on par with the west of Ireland. The South East of England, as you say, seems to have its own distinct climate

London barely gets rain and the temperature struggles to go below 15, even in winter. Yet the people there seem to think they get the typical dreary British weather.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Another crap day in Cork, the sun hasn't been seen in days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭compsys

It's kinda scary at this stage. But apart from the heatwaves we had record low temps and frost in central Europe around 10th July! So at both ends of the spectrum.

What annoys me is no mention of the cold in the mainstream media. That's equally bizarre. I suppose somewhere having an hour of air frost in July isn't as newsworthy as the record breaking heat. But they should present the full picture.

Get a grip for God’s sake and get to know the difference between weather and climate.

June was the warmest month. EVER RECORDED globally. Fact.

Frankly I couldn’t care less if a few nights were colder than average somewhere in Europe for a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Watched a bit of the UK Met live stream earlier and it was really just about how 'climate change' is causing more of these heatwaves, fair enough, but are the equally as large negative anomalies that are forecast to move down into NE Europe next week a result of the same? Or is this more about opportunism?
    Yes, Arctic amplification is causing a breakdown in the barrier between cold arctic weather systems and more temperate and tropical weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Day four without sun in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Day four without sun in Cork.

We had great weather in dublin.

main-qimg-c972b1f09ae728f5534bc8e3a4eb3993.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

What a rotten evening in cork city. Was heavy drizzle a while ago and it's coming and going. Rotten

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

compsys wrote: »
    Get a grip for God’s sake and get to know the difference between weather and climate.

Frankly I couldn’t care less if a few nights were colder than average somewhere in Europe for a day or two.

Do you really think your tone and attitude are helpful? If I were that poster I certainly wouldn't appreciate it!

And what's with the shouty capitals? Throwing your toys out of the pram?? It has already been pointed out to you that your highest temperatures ever recorded all took place over a few days at the end of June, while the first three weeks were below average. Not disputing that records were broken but screaming stuff like June being the warmest month EVER is more like media sensationalist click bait.

flazio wrote: »
    I was surprised to see that the highest ever recorded temperature in the United Kingdom is 38.5° C. I would have thought they would have had a touch of 40° sometime in their history.

The fact that you think the UK climate is warm enough to make 40 degrees somewhat achievable speaks to the issues around climate change IMO.

Yes, it seems like London regularly breaches 30 degrees and higher each summer these days, meaning the odd 40 degree temp should have been reached at least once or twice before, but the average July max is 23 degrees there, and up until 2000 it would have been just 22 degrees. So you’re asking for temps 18 degrees above average! That’s like asking for 25/26 degrees in winter.

The day anywhere in the UK gets to 40 degrees is the day we really need to start worrying.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Which June are you talking about, certainly not this years? June this year was freezing for the most part, first week of June had daily high's of 8 and 9C in Leinster, we had fire's and heating on all the way up to the 'heatwave' failure on the 3rd week. Once that had passed the last week of June was averagely mild, so June ended being a generally cold month. It was up there with 2012 for misery, wet but felt colder than 2012, at least on the east coast. July so far has been a massive improvement in temperatures but offering nothing exceptional at the same time.

acequion wrote: »
    Do you really think your tone and attitude are helpful? If I were that poster I certainly wouldn't appreciate it!

And what's with the shouty capitals? Throwing your toys out of the pram?? It has already been pointed out to you that your highest temperatures ever recorded all took place over a few days at the end of June, while the first three weeks were below average. Not disputing that records were broken but screaming stuff like June being the warmest month EVER is more like media sensationalist click bait.

I couldn’t care what the poster thinks tbh.

By the way June WAS the warmest month ever globally. This is a FACT. So it is NOT being sensationalist or click bait. Do you want me to post the links again?

And yes I purposely used caps as you seem to be missing the point.

The first three weeks of June were below average in Ireland. Ireland doesn’t account for the entire globe. There’ll always be places cooler than normal.

To suggest that there’s some climate change or media conspiracy going on because one or two cities had cool temps for a day or two in June (while the month itself was record breaking) is frankly ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    Which June are you talking about, certainly not this years? June this year was freezing for the most part, first week of June had daily high's of 8 and 9C in Leinster, we had fire's and heating on all the way up to the 'heatwave' failure on the 3rd week. Once that had passed the last week of June was averagely mild, so June ended being a generally cold month. It was up there with 2012 for misery, wet but felt colder than 2012, at least on the east coast. July so far has been a massive improvement in temperatures but offering nothing exceptional at the same time.

I’m talking about globally.

Agreed that this June in Ireland was miserable. I never said it was good here.

My post clearly says globally.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2019/07/hottest-june-earth-heading-warmest-month-190717110804704.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

What I wouldn't give for a cool, crispy, frosty night right now. Sick to the core of my soul of these relentlessly humid and warm nights.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I’m talking about globally. June in Ireland was miserable. I never said it was good here.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2019/07/hottest-june-earth-heading-warmest-month-190717110804704.html

ahh, other areas of the world did great in June but I was just on about Ireland, a June most of us would rather forget! Thankfully July has brought on a feeling of summer for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

I know the difference. I'd calm down and not lose the rag. Not too many care less what you think about a few cold nights. I'm pointing out they broke records too.

Just very interesting weather all round.

Gonzo wrote: »
    ahh, other areas of the world did great in June but I was just on about Ireland, a June most of us would rather forget! Thankfully July has brought on a feeling of summer for the most part.

Yes. July has been far better thank god.

But despite the feeling of warmth, it’s by no means record breaking here in Ireland as you say.

But again globally it does look like it could be another record breaking month.

Just goes to show you how we can end up with the short straw here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

Actually what a belligerent, know it all post. Show a wee bit of decorum in future. I'm only on here a few weeks but this isn't the first time you've been overly aggressive.

I didn't deny climate change, and even if I did it wouldn't merit that response. Can I not point out the remarkabilty of countries breaking cold and hot records in the one month.

You're not MT Cranium, Sryan, Nacho Libre, Meteorite, Villain or the excellent posters I've followed here for years who are constants on this site.

So in short I won't be taking any crap from someone with pent up anger like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

acequion wrote: »
    It's a curiously common trait adopted by many climate advocates. They seem to get all shouty and hostile for some reason when the topic of climate change comes up.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Posters need to remember the Forum Charter please and refrain from personal attacks.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056531690

1. Please refrain from direct personal attacks on any person whether they are members of boards.ie or not.

2. Everyone is entitled to post and has equal rights whether they are weather experts or complete newbies.

3. If you wish you to challenge someone's views (on the topic of weather) then please question the post, do not just attack poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Why are we not getting the sunshine that England are having?

• Advertisement

Actually what a belligerent, know it all post. Show a wee bit of decorum in future. I'm only on here a few weeks but this isn't the first time you've been overly aggressive.

I didn't deny climate change, and even if I did it wouldn't merit that response. Can I not point out the remarkabilty of countries breaking cold and hot records in the one month.

You're not MT Cranium, Sryan, Nacho Libre, Meteorite, Villain or the excellent posters I've followed here for years who are constants on this site.

So in short I won't be taking any crap from someone with pent up anger like you.

A know it all post?

I didn’t claim to know anything weather wise.

I’ve merely restated what dozens of leading scientists and news organizations all over the world have said.

And again I’ll restate that to accuse people and the media of being “sensationalist” for highlighting and reporting on numerous record breaking temps is utterly bizarre in my opinion.

By the way every winter snow and low temperatures get lots of media attention too. So to claim there’s an anti cold agenda going on is wrong I think.

Advertisement