Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

compsys wrote: »
    Get a grip for God’s sake and get to know the difference between weather and climate.

So, a few days cold spell = weather, but a hot spell = climate disaster. Gotcha.
    June was the warmest month. EVER RECORDED globally. Fact.

Total BS and utter hyperbole. There is no way every climate station's data has been collected, collated and QC'd yet. That process takes months and months. If you're saying that satellite data trumps Stevensons Screens data then you need you need your head checked.
    Frankly I couldn’t care less if a few nights were colder than average somewhere in Europe for a day or two.

Really nailing your flag to the mast now. "I couldn't care less about anything that questions my belief". Gotcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A quiet, dim-dark morning; gone are the weeks of an early walk at 4 am. The year is closing in, and all is as it should be.

woken at some stage last night by crashing thunder. No idea what time but it was LOUD and lasted quite a while. Deluge as a counterpoint. now massive cloudscapes as light slowly encroaches..

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A know it all post?
    And again I’ll restate that to accuse people and the media of being “sensationalist” for highlighting and reporting on numerous record breaking temps is utterly bizarre in my opinion.
    Whatever about listening to those who have some sort of clue what about they are talking about, if you think 'the media' is a quality source of information, then you are incredibly, incredibly naive. News orgs thrive on sensationalism - it's what brings in the cash.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

Danno wrote: »
    So, a few days cold spell = weather, but a hot spell = climate disaster. Gotcha.

Total BS and utter hyperbole. There is no way every climate station's data has been collected, collated and QC'd yet. That process takes months and months. If you're saying that satellite data trumps Stevensons Screens data then you need you need your head checked.

Really nailing your flag to the mast now. "I couldn't care less about anything that questions my belief". Gotcha.

I was just about to post but your post sums up everything i wanted to say. Thank you Sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

So........how about that Summer 2019 weather eh!!!!!!
    2 pages of bickering
    Dull start to the day . Cloudy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

km79 wrote: »
    So........how about that Summer 2019 weather eh!!!!!!
    2 pages of bickering
    Dull start to the day . Cloudy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Dark and drizzly in Letterkenny, would agree with that poster who's found this to be one of the dullest summers in memory. Maybe stats don't quite back it up but anecdotally I've found it to be incredibly grey and lacking in sunshine even on the better days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭compsys

Danno wrote: »

What point are you trying to make so I'm clear?

Are you saying there's a 'conspiracy' that the earth is warming and that the media and climate scientists are lying about June being exceptionally warm?

You seem to think that you know more than the experts.

By the way I'm not denying there's been a few cold days here and there this summer.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Whatever about listening to those who have some sort of clue what about they are talking about, if you think 'the media' is a quality source of information, then you are incredibly, incredibly naive. News orgs thrive on sensationalism - it's what brings in the cash.

All of the articles I have linked to have been from scientists and world bodies. People who have a clue what they are talking about as you say. The media is merely reporting on these people and data.

There are lots of reputable media organisations that can be trusted - it's not like I've based my thoughts on some random Facebook post from Russia :rolleyes:.

Where do you get your media and weather stats from as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well, cough, cough, cough. Cloudy start in Leitrim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Sunny and breezy again in meath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

21C here already, inland north Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Time for some more *brilliant* news from us down south in cork, its cloudy again! Woo. Winds not as strong as yesterday and around 17 degrees again. Looks to be one or two more showers later on in the day.

(It's not really brilliant :p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Cloudy and beeezy. It actually doesn’t feel that mild even today in comparison to other days either. This week has been a big disappointment considering what’s happening on the east coast not to mind Europe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

More of the same weather here.
    17C overcast but quite still, just a little breeze.

Not complaining :)

Very pleasant weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Dark and drizzly in Letterkenny, would agree with that poster who's found this to be one of the dullest summers in memory. Maybe stats don't quite back it up but anecdotally I've found it to be incredibly grey and lacking in sunshine even on the better days

Thought I'd look at Malin Head summer sunshine totals because it's the closest station to you that records sunshine although of course it won't be totally reflective for you because it's coastal which tend to be more sunny than inland.

Up to this point in Summer 2019 (up to July 25th), Malin Head has seen 269.2 hrs of sun (though 1 day of missing sunshine data - 9th July). 2017 was worse with 224.7 hrs up to this point (and an atrocious total of 78.8 hrs in June 2017 - joint second dullest summer month on record there with August 1972 and only beaten by July 1979). If I remember correctly, you missed out on the very sunny four days and heatwave in mid-June 2017 which the rest of the country was enjoying. Think I remember you commenting on that too.

Dullest summers on record at Malin Head (Summers 2011, 2012 and 2013 are not available for some reason) back to 1955.

1978 - 321.6 hrs
    1979 - 345.8 hrs
    1988 - 359.8 hrs
    2005 - 360.0 hrs
    2016 - 361.6 hrs
    1980 - 364.5 hrs
    1984 - 365.6 hrs
    1987 - 368.4 hrs
    1961 - 376.0 hrs
    1993 - 378.1 hrs

Data from Met Éireann.

Cloudy and beeezy. It actually doesn’t feel that mild even today in comparison to other days either. This week has been a big disappointment considering what’s happening on the east coast not to mind Europe.

Yeah I feel sorry for those further west. You’ve really borne the brunt of the bad weather in Europe, let alone Ireland.

If it’s any consolation it’s been very pleasant, but nothing exceptional, in Dublin.

Where do you get your media and weather stats from as a matter of interest?
    The Kremlin.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

nice and sunny in DCC

This is just perfect weather for gingers like me.
    Balmy, but without the relentless sun.

I do miss the dry heat of last year, but I think this summer is just fine.

• Advertisement

I love this month of July. It's not perfect but it's generally dry, and it's warm. T-shirt day and night. And August to come:)

I love this month of July. It's not perfect but it's generally dry, and it's warm. T-shirt day and night. And August to come:)

Which if models are correct, August will go down the pan. Famous last words! :P

Early rating but I think I’ll be giving July 2019 a 6/10. Significant improvement on previous months but nothing exceptional like some said.

Has anyone else noticed how little variation in temperature there is between day and night?

17C night and 19C day here recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

sryanbruen wrote: »

Early rating but I think I’ll be giving July 2019 a 6/10. Significant improvement on previous months but nothing exceptional like some said.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭squarecircles

bloody hell, is it just me or is the gfs 06z starting to look a bit plumey again late next weekend,

bloody hell, is it just me or is the gfs 06z starting to look a bit plumey again next week,

Looks anticyclonic to me rather than plumey. However, with that Greenland blocking, it’s inevitable that the low pressure from the west will approach us shortly after that temporary ridge for the first few days of August if the run up to 198 hrs were to verify.

sryanbruen wrote: »

Hopefully by models will show improvement around 5/6 August and we'll get 3 nice weeks to wrap up the summer.

In the eastern half of the country any really heavy rainfall seems to be getting pushed back a fair bit of the time. A little like last year in that respect.

I'd be hoping for an August like 1991, started off damp and grey, August Bank Hol was a bit drab. Rain on the 9th of August and then it took off with lovely sunny weather in the low 20s. Mid 20s by the last week. It continued into a lovely first half of September. The September record of 28C was set around 5th September (Valentia?).

Top 5 warmest stations this July so far in terms of mean maxima:

Phoenix Park: 21.4c
    Oak Park: 21.3c
    Mt. Dillon: 21.1c
    Moorpark: 21.0c
    Gurteen: 20.9c

Top 5 coolest:
    Malin Hd: 17.9c
    Mace Hd: 18.1c
    Belmullet: 18.3c
    Knock Apt: 18.7c
    Valentia: 18.8c.

Top 5 wettest:(mm)
    Claremorris: 101.4
    Belmullet: 94.3
    Finner Camp: 93.2
    Newport: 81.5
    Valentia: 79

Top 5 driest:
    Johnstown: 21.8
    Phoenix Pk: 23
    Roches Pt: 23.5
    Dublin Apt: 23.5
    Sherkin Is: 23.6

Data C/O A Russian Facebook post.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nearly half of the rainfall in Claremorris occurred over a few hours on the 19th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭endainoz

Any prediction from the weather heads here about the weather in Waterford for the bank holiday? Going to the All Together Now festival in the curraghmore estate. I know it's still a bit too far out but going by the 7 day met eireann forecast, it seems fairly well settled up to Thursday at least.

Advertisement