Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's been a nice day in Glasnevin with sun and cloud, as it has been for most of July, with a high of 21.7C. It's currently 18.7C and mostly cloudy. The high temperature's been over 20 for the last week and there's only been six days in July when it failed to reach 20. The rainfall this month has so far totalled 24mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Look on the bright side. Since most people go to the beach to cool down anyway, you have been spared the bother of having to go there.

Usually (but not all of the time), going to the beach in Ireland during settled weather usually means having to put up a windbreaker due to a cold sea breeze. It could be a pleasant 25c a couple of dozen km inland with a light mild breeze but at the same time on the beach it can often be in the mid to high teens with a keen and cold wind...... No thank you.

I lived most of my life less than 1km from the east coast in Dublin and I can tell you, despite the sunnier weather than inland, the wind would often cut you in two, especially in May, June and often July as well.

I'm now living 40km inland and the summer weather is so much better than when I lived near the coast. Yes, there may not be as much sunshine but the lack of sea breeze on most warm and settled days is a blessing. In the past couple of years, I've been gradually building a new back garden and I've been planting everything in such a way so as to create a micro climate, often 2c or 3c warmer than the garden on the other side of the wall. I spend as much time as I can in the new garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

highdef wrote: »
    Usually (but not all of the time), going to the beach in Ireland during settled weather usually means having to put up a windbreaker due to a cold sea breeze. It could be a pleasant 25c a couple of dozen km inland with a light mild breeze but at the same time on the beach it can often be in the mid to high teens with a keen and cold wind...... No thank you.

I lived most of my life less than 1km from the east coast in Dublin and I can tell you, despite the sunnier weather than inland, the wind would often cut you in two, especially in May, June and often July as well.

I'm now living 40km inland and the summer weather is so much better than when I lived near the coast. Yes, there may not be as much sunshine but the lack of sea breeze on most warm and settled days is a blessing. In the past couple of years, I've been gradually building a new back garden and I've been planting everything in such a way so as to create a micro climate, often 2c or 3c warmer than the garden on the other side of the wall. I spend as much time as I can in the new garden.

If I had your garden I wouldn't need to go away as much. :pac::pac:

It does sound lovely, by the way, so well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

acequion wrote: »
    If I had your garden I wouldn't need to go away as much. :pac::pac:

It does sound lovely, by the way, so well done!

Why thank you - it does have the advantage that on a breezy but sunny day, nearly half the new garden will be completely calm and receiving buckets of direct sunlight.

And you're right, it gives me enough of a heat fix to lessen my urge to visit a warmer country all the time.

The flip side is that in winter, it's still very sheltered and the fact that the sun is a lot lower in the sky means that this new garden is actually colder then the main back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Artane2002

ZX7R wrote: »
    I've the opposite feeling, I think a very mild winter and Chasing even a bit of a frosty weather.

Surely it can't get worse than last winter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

From the south coast perspective I think we had a slightly better summer than the rest of Ireland (for once) we seem to have missed the major rain and caught any warmth (albeit cloudy warmth) still, not bad for a summer and enough beach days to brace a swim in the sea :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    From the south coast perspective I think we had a slightly better summer than the rest of Ireland (for once) we seem to have missed the major rain and caught any warmth (albeit cloudy warmth) still, not bad for a summer and enough beach days to brace a swim in the sea :-)

Seems like we’ve had the most consistently good weather but we missed out on the extremes. One properly hot day is all I can recall but by and large it has been pleasant and mostly dry since mid June.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Was in Waterford for the weekend visiting friends. Cloudy and dry yesterday Sunny start this morning, before clouding over, brightened up into a warm sunny afternoon but on my way home this evening, as soon as I reached Midleton, it turned misty with patchy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fed up with drizzly rain today up here in North Donegal.

I got up at 8am, and bar one hour, it has rained all day. All day.

As if Sundays aren't depressing enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Surely it can't get worse than last winter!
    You'd be surprised, could be a 2013-14. At least second half of January was more seasonable (whilst not close to amazing by any means). However, I don't want to see a spell like late Dec-early Jan for a long time... cloudy and dry day after day with no sunshine, I feel sorry for Corkians especially suffering with that very long period of consecutive dull days - I forget the exact number though.

Meanwhile, was an alright day in Dublin. Mainly cloudy but the odd brightness and usable weather.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Lots of altocumulus visible looking south from Arklow this evening, hopefully a sign of heavy rain or thunder in the East/southeast in the next 36 to 48hrs fingers crossed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Cool, dark and drizzly in Donegal all day, yet another day with zero sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

NIMAN wrote: »
    Fed up with drizzly rain today up here in North Donegal.

I got up at 8am, and bar one hour, it has rained all day. All day.

As if Sundays aren't depressing enough.

That's crazy.. it's been warm and sunny all day here.

I feel for you really. Grey misty crap is soul destroying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭esposito

Cool, dark and drizzly in Donegal all day, yet another day with zero sunshine.

If I was offered a dirt cheap house in Donegal I would not live there because of the awful weather it gets. I’ve only been to Donegal once and i know it’s a lovely county with the scenery but sorry I just could never live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

esposito wrote: »
    If I was offered a dirt cheap house in Donegal I would not live there because of the awful weather it gets. I’ve only been to Donegal once and i know it’s a lovely county with the scenery but sorry I just could never live there.

You'd probably say the same about Kerry. :( But despite the weather I'd still live here any day over Dublin. And I mean no offense because I do like Dublin.

One of the last times I remember staying in Donegal it was the August bank holiday weekend and halfway through the weekend it cleared to gloriously warm and sunny weather. I remember being in the sea thinking it was as good as any Mediterranean beach, with hardly anyone on it apart from us. Most times I've been there it unfortunately hasn't been as good. The main downside is that if Donegal regularly got that sort of weather it would be full of tourists and wouldn't be as pleasant.

It's a nice mostly clear night here. It's quite pleasant out with very little breeze. It's currently 15.6C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Its not usually that bad to be fair, this summer has been unusually grey. Plus we typically get more snow, stronger storms and a lot more thundery hail squalls than the east coast in the winter months ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭compsys

acequion wrote: »
    Though I wouldn't usually be usually on the same wavelength as this poster, I think he/she's right on this one.

.:(

What wavelength is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I am planning an overnight trip to Donegal this August for photography and I'm hoping for some sunny spells at the very least whilst I'm there but I won't hold my breath!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lived there a decade and would not recognise it from your post! Plenty of good weather... Traded every weekend in Town and rarely rained off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    We drove from Dublin to north west Mayo today . It got noticeably cooler as we drove . Quite chilly compared to the east today

Fresh it is and rather lovely. Been an early walk here in the autumn gloaming and enjoyed the freshness greatly .

Don't care what the weather does! Revel in whatever..

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

Mulranny beach, Co. Mayo yesterday. The tide was nearly in and water quite pleasant to paddle in. It was so calm. It was sheltered from the NW winds on this beach. Some showers later on our return inland later but nothing much. Now all we need is the sun to make an appearance for a few days of fine weather and I’d be happy ☀️.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭compsys

Its not usually that bad to be fair, this summer has been unusually grey. Plus we typically get more snow, stronger storms and a lot more thundery hail squalls than the east coast in the winter months ;)

Yes. I do envy you guys for the snow!

Also during the very best weather you guys can often get among the hottest temps as you’re away from the exposed east coast.

Overall though I do think the east coast has the best weather if you’re looking for sun and dryness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Another stunning morning in north dublin. Only 23mm of rain for the month of July. A repeat of this in August would be a great result after a poor start to the summer in early June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Once again Phoenix Park was the warmest weather station in the country yesterday but not quite as warm at 21 degrees

Sunny beautiful morning in Arklow too,currently 18.1c

Only 21.5mm here in july so tomorrow's rain very very welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe a bit harsh on us.
    I don't think we are that much different on average from most of the country.

We have had some lovely days up here this summer, just not enough of them. And I'm sure most Irish residents would say the same. It hasn't been a great summer so far.

Having said that, kinda more of the same this morning so far. Lot of drizzle and misty rain, although definitely brighter this morning, not as grey!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Another cloudy day in cork city and West cork , rain incoming in a while aswell. Oh well.

• Advertisement

Taken just now This mornings beautiful weather near Arklow:)

1e0f1ccdc7c1fc9754bf8fffcca096b0.jpg

Advertisement