Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

17.5c here and feels warm,house is around 22
    Theres no way We are putting on heating,it would kill us :D

Only spits here so far,the precip is off shore
    This video is looking south from Arklow and panning to due East both directions out towards the sea,it feels eerily warm and is flat calm
    (You can hear the traffic on the busy M11)

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1155910944578580482?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Not a drop yet here in North Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Roads have become rapids with totals really topping up once again. Hopefully this will help clear this horrible, ongoing humidity.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Wet evening now in Kildare with convective falls of rain.
    18c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Heaviest rain I've seen in ages here in Limk City this evening. 24.6mm up to now - 8.11pm since 6pm approx. Lots of floods on the local roads.

Almost looks to have an eye: (large file so may take a while to load)

jdhSYRf.gif

Note how the convective clouds near the center of the low are being sucked into oblivion, almost as if that low center is a black hole or something, and maybe it is.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looks very heavy all right Comhra and looks like ye will have it for a time yet . Staying dry in Tralee.

X9Rmdt5.gif

81Ol0cJ.gif

wyWpiig.png

Comhra wrote: »
    Heaviest rain I've seen in ages here in Limk City this evening. 24.6mm up to now - 8.11pm since 6pm approx. Lots of floods on the local roads.
    These showers are fierce, an as I type this, I am watching some very visible rotation going on, yet not a slightest puff of a breeze.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭lolie

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Almost looks to have an eye: (large file so may take a while to load)

jdhSYRf.gif

Note how the convective clouds near the center of the low are being sucked into oblivion, almost as if that low center is a black hole or something, and maybe it is.

Where did you get that image oneiric?

Big black sky moving in overhead here from the southeast.
    S cavan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The clouds look very convective in nature, don't seem to have the parameters to spark though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The clouds look very convective in nature, don't seem to have the parameters to spark though.

During the heaviest of it, I was all tooled up and on standby for a few flashes & bangs, but as Meteorite said, the ingredients weren't quite right.... eased off now with 31.6mm recorded since 6pm approx.

Lawnmowers on the ready for the next few days. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

My garden is crying out for this rain
    I know I'll be regretting saying this. but bring on the rain...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lashing rain in Kildare now with a very Thundery looking sky

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

Still dry and calm in North kildare but looks like rain will reach here in the next 20/30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Only 30 minutes of moderate rain in Bray 8:45-9:15pm and it looks like thats our lot. The East Coast 'near' drought continues. :D

Would have been a 2018 rivaling Summer if we had of had more Sun to go with the warmth (albeit not hotness like last year) and dryness this year.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain has arrived in Dublin 16....big convective drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Interesting, not overly surprising. I am sure the likes of Galway, donegal and cork are not too far behind. 1500mm of rain in a year is very grim! The only place worse must be Scotland, been there a dozen times and I don’t think I ever saw the sun!
    Xenji wrote: »
    Kerry and then followed by Mayo, Valentia usually has the highest rainfall each year of the official stations and then followed closely behind by Newport.

Both have recorded over 1500mm of rain for the last 3 years running and are out on there own in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Mortelaro wrote: »
    17.5c here and feels warm,house is around 22
    Theres no way We are putting on heating,it would kill us :D

Same here in Bray. My Hive tells me its 22.3ºc Downstairs and 22.4ºc Upstairs and thats with patio doors downstairs open and 3 Velux upstairs open.

Who needs underfloor heating when you have the thermal mass of 2ft thick Victorian exterior walls with a Southern and Western aspect soaking up the Suns heat during the morning/day and radiating it into the house during the evening/night.

Closed my Velux because of the rain and now Spanish Students outside and have my Bedside Fan turned on to keep me comfortable. :D

Turn the Central Heating On? Don't expect to feel the need to do that till October at the earliest. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Still dry here in north Dublin but to be honest the garden could do with some rain, the grass has gone yellow. Bring on some rain tomorrow and it can then sod off again from Wednesday

• Advertisement

Hows the bank holiday weekend looking Meteorite ?

A lot of uncertainty it would seem at present. Slow moving area of LP moving up against a ridge to the E of Ireland possibly sending in a slow moving front late Fri through Sat moving across the country, has the look of possibly being a bit thundery for a time . Will the LP make inroads sending in more fronts? Could become stationary off the W. Stalemate? Probably quite cloudy at times. Bit away and have to see if the ridge holds or if the LP moves in close or over us.

Tricky BBQ weather !

Temps probably getting up to high Teens for the most, possibly bit over 20 in places over the weekend.

EDIT: Will move to Summer thread as bit of range of the up to 120hr Chart thread.

dQQttWm.png

vkFdNxb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sorry the late reply, that wallpaper is just a live wallpaper which is preloaded on my phone as I've a Google pixel phone. Searching "marvellous marble wallpaper " on Google should give a guide on how to get it!

As for the weather, still drizzling away here in West cork since 2pm. It's been very dark all day and there's been some heavy showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Interesting, not overly surprising. I am sure the likes of Galway, donegal and cork are not too far behind. 1500mm of rain in a year is very grim! The only place worse must be Scotland, been there a dozen times and I don’t think I ever saw the sun!

Last year Valentia recorded 1770.9mm and Newport recorded 1647.5mm, official stations in Donegal, Cork and Galway did not break 1280mm so it can be quite a large difference.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    These showers are fierce, an as I type this, I am watching some very visible rotation going on, yet not a slightest puff of a breeze.

The stuff that came over Arklow is all high based,dry again now,you wouldn't cream your tea with what fell
    Serious need for rain now locally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Lashing rain here in Glasnevin now. 0.8mm recorded so far. It's 16.0C now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Spitting rain in Dublin 13 the odd time, some nice undulatus asperatis clouds earlier.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain has stopped now in Dublin 16. 1.4mm. Strong smell of petrichor!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

Heavy rain in North kildare. Radar returns show a significant increase in intensity in the past hour as the rain closed in on me. Raindrops are very large too.

In other news, it's been confirmed that last Thursday was the hottest day on record in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Xenji wrote: »
    Last year Valentia recorded 1770.9mm and Newport recorded 1647.5mm, official stations in Donegal, Cork and Galway did not break 1280mm so it can be quite a large difference.

Thanks. Interesting.

Where’s the link for these stats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

1.2mm rain recorded now. 14.6C.

Advertisement