Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump visit.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have to say I find it amusing that most of the protestors who are anti-Trump visit can't even be bothered coming to Clare to protest, happy to do it from Dublin or wherever they are.

Was talking to a lad from Doonbeg last night, he said there's a great sense of community back there at the moment and great craic, 1 old man had 4 guards stationed outside his house from the last few nights, he's never felt so safe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,412 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

archer22 wrote:
    Has Ireland found Trump's 5th cousins yet...there must be a family of fat loud mouths somewhere that could play the part for the day
    He's gotta be related to the Healy-Raes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

archer22 wrote: »
    Has Ireland found Trump's 5th cousins yet...there must be a family of fat loud mouths somewhere that could play the part for the day :D
    They should try the Watery Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,773 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Gary Owen wrote: »
    What’s an sjw ?
    Hedgelayer wrote: »
    Lol Social justice warrior.

Don't worry I never heard of this phrase until boards.ie myself.

You will learn about snowflakes, libtards, period-poverty, alt-right.
    All sorts of phrases that either never existed until a few years ago, or now have new meanings attached to them.

The funny part is they are all stem from American usage and it spread all over the internet.
    One way or another the USA is taking over the hearts and minds.
    It starts with learning the lingo.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Clareman wrote: »
    I have to say I find it amusing that most of the protestors who are anti-Trump visit can't even be bothered coming to Clare to protest, happy to do it from Dublin or wherever they are.

and on the other side the pro-Trump people make me laugh too..

the old biddy on the news..."he's a good christian man" :rolleyes:

she obviously didn't hear him talking about grabbing women "by the pussy"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Where do you grab them. Right wing nut jobs you'd swear butter doesn't melt.

fryup wrote: »
    and on the other side the pro-Trump people make me laugh too..

the old biddy on the news..."he's a good christian man" :rolleyes:

she obviously didn't hear him talking about grabbing women "by the pussy"

She seemed like a mad auld one, saying Trump promotes 'biblical things' :confused:

I had two questions to that -

1) What did she mean by biblical things?

2) When were these biblical things promoted?

The mother meets with the doctor, they take care of the baby, they wrap the baby beautifully” — at this, he seemed to mime rocking an infant — “and then the doctor and the mother determine whether or not they will execute the baby.” He made a chopping motion with his hand.

Surely worth something when he meets Peter at the pearly gates.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Well that escalated quickly...........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭trashcan

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    He has a mind?

Fake news !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Balagan1

Aglomerado wrote: »
    They should try the Watery Road.

Cheap shot and out of date as well, but your comment meets the tone and tenor and depth of this discussion perfectly.

The mother meets with the doctor, they take care of the baby, they wrap the baby beautifully” — at this, he seemed to mime rocking an infant — “and then the doctor and the mother determine whether or not they will execute the baby.” He made a chopping motion with his hand.

Surely worth something when he meets Peter at the pearly gates.

I suggest you read 'What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America (2004) ' by Thomas Frank.

In it he explains how Kansas changed from a staunch Democratic state into a staunch Republican state.
    Frank explains how the Republicans used similar emotive language to your post, flying kites on issues such as abortion and gun control.
    In doing so by cynically tagging on to these issues they managed to get the ordinary working man's vote.
    Even though the rest of the Republican parties polices went against the working man's interests and standard of living. The policies were set up to look after the rich elites interests, but the ordinary working man did not mind - because of the Republican candidates stance on abortion and gun control.

It is exactly the same trick the Trump used. He engaged the working man in America with scare tactics, claiming to be one of the anti-establishment etc.
    But in reality his polices are for the rich and not the average working man.
    It is an extremely difficult balancing act.
    But to his credit Trump played it superbly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Well hasn't it been a wonderful few days here in West Clare. Everyone so positive around our area. Great buzz around, everyone in good form. Hope his trip finishes successfully. And hope he returns again.

For the day that's in it Trump's golf swing analysis:

There are some queries about his scores though:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

finbarrk wrote: »
    Well hasn't it been a wonderful few days here in West Clare. Everyone so positive around our area. Great buzz around, everyone in good form. Hope his trip finishes successfully. And hope he returns again.

TBH this WWN headline sums up what most people think of the last few days.

Doonbeg Locals Making A Holy Show Of Nation

Fawning over his two dimwitted sons was pretty embarrassing stuff.

It was embarrassing when Obama visited, and it is embarrassing now.
    I can remember Obama supping a pint of Guinness saying the last one he had was when they stopped over at Shannon....

I can't remember much protests at the time. I suppose that is because was from the Democratic Party, and a long lost son of Moneygall

Sorry, and this isn't directed at you it's at the article, but **** that, Dubs aren't even willing to leave Dublin to protest whereas the Trump Corporation are investing in the west of Ireland and is supplying 300 direct jobs to an area with very few industries.

Fawning over the 2 sons was a way for a location to thank them for all their support, I'm sure if Mark Zuckerberg came to Dublin there would be a huge deal made out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

two dimwitted sons

Err yeah - how'd you make that out then? Please enlighten us with your startling intelligence.

It was embarrassing when Obama visited, and it is embarrassing now.
    I can remember Obama supping a pint of Guinness saying the last one he had was when they stopped over at Shannon....

I can't remember much protests at the time. I suppose that is because was from the Democratic Party, and a long lost son of Moneygall

I couldn't care less that Trump was visiting. I don't like the man, but respect the office he holds. The fawning over his sons though was cringe worthy.
    Sorry, and this isn't directed at you it's at the article, but **** that, Dubs aren't even willing to leave Dublin to protest whereas the Trump Corporation are investing in the west of Ireland and is supplying 300 direct jobs to an area with very few industries.

Fawning over the 2 sons was a way for a location to thank them for all their support, I'm sure if Mark Zuckerberg came to Dublin there would be a huge deal made out of it

I think you may need to look up Waterford Whispers News. It's not an actual article, but the headline is apt.
    turbbo wrote: »
    Err yeah - how'd you make that out then? Please enlighten us with your startling intelligence.

It's an observation from reading quite a lot about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,880 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Obama wasn't trying to weaken / break up the EU and cause international trade wars that will be very damaging to Ireland.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement

but **** that, Dubs aren't even willing to leave Dublin to protest

And miss the Trump Baby??? :pac:

Most of those lazy feckers protesting the Iraq War didn't even go to Iraq! :p

More seriously, if they had tried to protest in Doonbeg, would they have been let near the place?

People did travel to protest at Shannon

whereas the Trump Corporation are investing in the west of Ireland and is supplying 300 direct jobs to an area with very few industries.

"he fixed the road"

Anybody with the cash could have invested there, he's not some sort of miracle worker.
    He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

I'm sure if Mark Zuckerberg came to Dublin there would be a huge deal made out of it

Zuckerberg has been in Dublin loads of times, no big deal made of it whatsoever. I think Facebook is a despicable organisation and I'm not going to change my opinion just because they provide thousands of jobs in Ireland.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Obama wasn't trying to weaken / break up the EU and cause international trade wars that will be very damaging to Ireland.

So infringing Ireland's neutrality is grand so...

Middle East etc....

(Note - the protests seem just as pathetic as the ones for Trump by the way)

So infringing Ireland's neutrality is grand so...

Middle East etc....

We're not neutral, we're militarily unaligned. There's a difference. I suggest you look it up.

We're not neutral, we're militarily unaligned. There's a difference. I suggest you look it up.

Successive Irish governments have followed a policy of military neutrality, which is characterised by non-membership of military alliances.

https://www.dfa.ie/our-role-policies/international-priorities/peace-and-security/neutrality/

Ergo = neutral they don't get involved militarily.

In contrast to Switzerland who have an aggressive neutrality posture

And Leo wants us to join PESCO on an 'an opt in, opt out basis'
    Counter-Terrorism , Peace Keeping, Cyber Security and not air-craft carriers and the like.

https://youtu.be/CtuGBrkoLQc?t=200

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

It's an observation from reading quite a lot about them.
    reading a lot of biased nonsense i'd guess

Anybody with the cash could have invested there, he's not some sort of miracle worker.

Well anybody didn't bother their arse he did. I wonder how may jobs the protestors have created outside the giant balloon industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The protesters knew that if the came back to West Clare, they would have been hunted out of the place by the locals. They stayed in Dublin. And will wait for the next thing to protest against. And that’s anyone’s guess what that will be. Something will turn up sometime.

Well anybody didn't bother their arse he did. I wonder how may jobs the protestors have created outside the giant balloon industry.

Bow, scrape, repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Afternoon walk, tapas and a bottle of wine.

Going as far as Clare would have been a drag.

• Advertisement
Advertisement