Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion for summer time companion for Crown imperial (Fritillaria imperialis)

Options
  • 28-05-2019 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

In Spring, I planted several Crown imperials (Fritillaria imperialis) - can't remember the exact variety but they're very nice orange ones. Anyway, the foliage has now almost completely died back, as it does. What I would like to do is to have plant suitable perennial plants around the area that the imperials are located which will flower through the summer and then die back.

Then, come early Spring of next year, the area will be pretty much vacant before the imperials grow up. They will then die back and as they do that, the new summer perennials will then pop up to give the area looking nice and full of growth.

Any suggestions as to what I could get or am I being a bit fussy with regards as to what I want to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

I have some cranesbill that would fit what you describe you are looking for. There are different varieties but the one I have planted seems to be deciduous and has started flowering in the last couple of weeks and last year went on flowering for months. Not grown any fritillaria imperialis myself so can't say for definite how they would work together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

macraignil wrote: »
    I have some cranesbill that would fit what you describe you are looking for. There are different varieties but the one I have planted seems to be deciduous and has started flowering in the last couple of weeks and last year went on flowering for months. Not grown any fritillaria imperialis myself so can't say for definite how they would work together.

Thanks for that. Cranesbill wouldn't be really what I'd be looking. I think I might get some arum lilies. They'd take over nicely from the fritillarias, flower all summer and into early Autumn and then die back to the ground for the winter leaving the area clear for the Fritillarias to pop up the following early spring.

Also, the arum lilies are very pretty and require very little attention. Might need to water them in dry spells but that's it. I have a few of them already in other locations and I really like them.

Advertisement