Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4.5Ghz 4790K to Ryzen 3700X

Options
  • 28-05-2019 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

Do you think there would be much of a difference for gaming? Mainly the likes of Stellaris, Total War Warhammer II and Fallout 4?

IPC gains should be good but I worry about clock speed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Would be a nice upgrade, especially in the very latest/upcoming games and for general longevity over the next 5+ years. Those extra cores/threads make a massive difference in the many of the latest AAA games and that's a trend that's going to continue.

I wouldn't say there'd be any significant perceivable difference in most games going back a few years with a 4790K at 4.5Ghz, unless you have a 144hz monitor, even then it's not going to be major. But it's still a worthwhile upgrade, especially when a 4790K, board + RAM should still fetch an OK amount of money.

Also depends on your current GPU. A 4790K with decent RAM and a mild overclock is still more than capable of driving something like a GTX1080 pretty well. So if you have a low or mid-range GPU, you might get more mileage from a new card before thinking about the CPU.

But as a general upgrade for the next 5 years and beyond, makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Thanks for the advice Terror! Currently rocking a 1080ti which I'm hoping has a few years in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

It's what I'll be moving to. Can't wait.

Napkin maths says 3700X = 4.1 / 5.0 (base/boost) 4790K, given the IPC increase. To say nothing of doubling cores.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

currently have a 4790k at 4.8 and im going to be making the same upgrade hopefully!!

Advertisement