Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmac contractors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Best way to get piece of mind is Go see some of the work they have already done and chat to their customers. Unfortunately alot of dodgy tarmac providers out there. Not saying they are mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

What do you think of this site? Do they look legit?

https://www.stoneroadtarmac.com/

The website doesn’t inspire confidence in me .If they actually have someone answering phone in ALL their supposed offices in all the major cities in Ireland I’d be more inclined to risk getting them around for a quote .This business is utterly infested with cowboys and I hardly need mention which ‘tribe’ predominates.A common trick is to dig a hole with a pick in your existing tarmac as a site survey .Youre then stuck with them to make your drive serviceable or at least presentable again .They will be as polished and polite as they can until you’re committed but believe me it goes seriously downhill from there .You will haggle them down but they will do their damndest to drive you back up again in price with extras .The ‘weedkiller’ that I was pressurized into buying I reckon they pee-d into a bottle outside my gate . I felt frightened and was relieved to have them off my property by end of it last time round Fool me twice shame on me ‘?!Well I’ve been fooled at least three times , one of whom (British)was a recommendation by a local Irish builder .
    Just find the best local long established outfit and be prepared to pay 3-4 times the price quoted by cowboys .In the end it will be ‘only’ double and last ten years instead of ten months .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The cork address is a gym, most of the picture are from the UK , none of the workers wearing PPE.

• Subscribers Posts: 689 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

reviews.jpg

3 reviews on Google

That says enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

Saw a couple of MLP (I think, driving past me) Tarmac contractors going up Dublin Hill earlier.

Did a bit of searching and not alot came up about them. Based in Meath as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If they have to try and come over as legit by sounding like RoadStone then I wouldn't have much faith in their work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

I go the best advise here when it comes to this "group" and it was a fellow board user, who frequents the Tarmac thread.

"No contractor offers 15% off the price of Tar, and no supplier will offer 15% off either. the prices only goes up as the price of oil goes up"

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cswestmeath

Hi All,

Would love your opinion on the current oil price drop and it's impact over the next 12 months on Tarmac prices.

What can/could I expect to pay per M2 for Tarmac?

I know it depends on a lot of stuff like ground works etc. just checking if I'll ever be able to afford it or if I'm in dream land.

I have about 800-850m2 of flat well compacted 804 (about 5 years down) a few small pot holes in high traffic areas.

Drainage doesn't seem to be an issue but I'll let the experts decide that when on site!

Just looking for a ball park figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Where are you based??. I use a company based in swords that are reliable.

Hi rje66

I'm based in the Midlands!

Just looking for rough prices per m2 at the moment don't want to waste anyone's time with site visits if it's a non runner!

Thanks for the reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Hi rje66

I'm based in the Midlands!

Just looking for rough prices per m2 at the moment don't want to waste anyone's time with site visits if it's a non runner!

Thanks for the reply
    Let me get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Unfortunately, you are probably dealing with the dodgiest "industry" (very loose use of the word industry) in the country.
    At least 80% of people who do it are either useless, complete cowboys or both.

Thanks for the advice Phil,

I know of 1-2 companies that are at it a long time in the midlands any will go with one of them, just interested in getting an idea of cost.

Thanks

Advertisement