Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had a car hit into me this evening....

Options
  • 28-05-2019 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

And I've no doubt in my mind it was on purpose.
    Was about a kilometre from the left turn for valleymount on the n81 heading out of blessington.
    I was hugging the left hand side as I always do, know the road very well so no problems riding right in against the left side.
    Felt the car turn into me and clip me fairly heavily, bike wobbled big time but thankfully I managed not to go down. Was doing about 40kmph I reckon so it would have been a serious fall.
    His mirror hit me, my right hand glove is torn where the impact was.
    He did not even try stopping, there's no way he didn't realise it happened. I do not say this lightly at all, but as I already said, I am certain it was deliberate.
    It's been reported to the guards, but I did not get the reg, only the car make and colour.
    Be careful out there, there are some right t**ts around.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Lucky escape op must have been scary at that speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Pissartist wrote: »
    Lucky escape op must have been scary at that speed

Got a shock more than a fright. I've ridden motorbikes for years so that has helped me hugely I think in terms of reacting to unforeseen incidents and not panicking.
    It was a lucky escape tho, plenty of other cars coming up behind me that I'd have been right in the line of. Prick just kept going.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I don't believe any motorist just purposely attempted to kill you - knocking you under his wheels at those speeds would mean death.
    There are woefully bad drivers out there as there are woefully dangerous cyclists but to suggest it was all on purpose is a bit small of a reach.

mickdw wrote: »
    I don't believe any motorist just purposely attempted to kill you - knocking you under his wheels at those speeds would mean death.
    There are woefully bad drivers out there as there are woefully dangerous cyclists but to suggest it was all on purpose is a bit small of a reach.

You have your opinion, I have mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vkus6mt3y8zg2q

I agree. Just an attention seeker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

That's some skill to stay up on a bike at 40kmph after an impact with a car strong enough to rip your glove.

Yeah of course.
    There's a guy living up the road from me who has been in court numerous times for deliberately driving at motorcyclists, and convicted of it, so to suggest that it doesn't happen is nonsense. I can give you his name of you like.
    I know it can happen accidentally, "but I genuinely think the guy was stupidly trying to push me or knock me over, he turned into me. Either that or he was grabbing his phone or whatever. He'd have seen me weaving all over in his mirror and heard the impact and didn't stop.

Hoboo wrote: »
    That's some skill to stay up on a bike at 40kmph after an impact with a car strong enough to rip your glove.

Well I can show you the glove if you like, the strava segment should more or less verify the speed and I've reported it to blessington garda station so yeah it's all made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah. Never. No way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Had a guy deliberately drive at me head on once for him to swerve away at last second. So yeah sh*t like this does happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

terrydel wrote: »
    Well I can show you the glove if you like, the strava segment should more or less verify the speed and I've reported it to blessington garda station so yeah it's all made up.

No really, it's some skill, I'd have been on my arse at best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you were driving and someone drove into your car at 40km/h, i suspect you wouldn't be brushing off the other driver as 'just an attention seeker'.

Look, I'm not trying to seek any f**king attention, I'm just reporting what happened, factually and to the best of my recollection, and hopefully it might help other cyclists in some way. It's my opinion that it was very possibly done with intention, either stupidly without thinking of the possible consequences or otherwise. Nothing more than my opinion. Agree with it, disagree with, mock it, I don't particularly care. I'll drop out of this thread now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just in case you were responding to me there, i was supporting your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

terrydel wrote: »
    Yeah of course.
    There's a guy living up the road from me who has been in court numerous times for deliberately driving at motorcyclists, and convicted of it, so to suggest that it doesn't happen is nonsense. I can give you his name of you like.
    I know it can happen accidentally, "but I genuinely think the guy was stupidly trying to push me or knock me over, he turned into me. Either that or he was grabbing his phone or whatever. He'd have seen me weaving all over in his mirror and heard the impact and didn't stop.

He's the first person I thought of when I read your post. What's the possibility of the driver getting target fixation and drifting in to you? Having said that, there's some mental people out there.

Terry no point in getting wound up by people who likely wandered in from the front page with shag all to contribute, you're likely wound up enough over it as it is fella.

ED E wrote: »

Yeah. Never. No way.

Different kettle of fish altogether. What the op reported is a driver hitting into him with the car at speed. Stupid and all as the pranks you linked are, there was little to no danger of going under the wheels of the actual car whereas in the ops case, it was probably 50 50 death due to being run over by the driver.
    I'm not disputing that a driver hit him but it's hard to believe that a driver set out to hit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Sorry Mick but its more a common occurance then you would believe. Happened myself and two clubmates one Sunday morning. A landcruiser went on our outside then swung in on top of us.
    It was a deliberate act of aggression as he tried it again with me on my own a few metres later.
    I still have his reg as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

Terry, i take that turn almost every week, usually early am on Sats, ive had dickheads give me deliberate close passes blowing their horns with no other cars on the road , glad you are okay, any cctv in the village that might identify the car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Non-cyclist, and driver here. Dunno where others are coming from saying that the OP is looking for attention. Disgraceful behaviour by that driver. And those two videos as well, disgusting. I'll be the first to admit that even I get p1ssed off by cyclists sometimes (not stopping at reds, cycling wrong way down one way roads, cycling in the middle of the road, etc), but there's no excusing that. That kind of behaviour warrants immediate and indefinite removal of license. Could do serious damage to the cyclist. We all share the roads, doesn't matter if you walk them, cycle them or drive them. Deliberately trying to hit or push a cyclist is downright dangerous. Just my two cents worth.

• Advertisement

koutoubia wrote: »
    Sorry Mick but its more a common occurance then you would believe. Happened myself and two clubmates one Sunday morning. A landcruiser went on our outside then swung in on top of us.
    It was a deliberate act of aggression as he tried it again with me on my own a few metres later.
    I still have his reg as well.
    Don't take this up wrong but was there some history involved. Crazy behaviour but even that suggests he was reacting to something unless he likes to kill a few cyclists every day. Clearly he should be in jail but there must be a trigger for these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Don't take this up wrong but was there some history involved. Crazy behaviour but even that suggests he was reacting to something unless he likes to kill a few cyclists every day. Clearly he should be in jail but there must be a trigger for these people.

Nothing taken in offence.
    Nope.We did absolutley nothing wrong. In fact the 3 of us were in single file as we were on a back road (and a wide back road at that..at the back of applewood in swords) when he came up alongside us and then swerved in on top of us. He then stopped in front of us and started laughing saying he was sorry he didnt hit us. We went around him... he then tried the same thing a few mtrs later then sped off.
    And for the record I have been hit..well sideswiped ..by a car on a busy road.
    If the van behind me and the car wasnt paying attention I would have ended up another statistic.
    The driver of the car simply didnt see me.
    However the Land Cruiser incident was a very deliberate act of aggresion that he admitted he wanted to hit us!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Been cycling over 30 years. In that time I've had cars drive directly at me and skid to a halt only inches from my front wheel.
    I've have car door mirrors hit my right arm, hand and handlebars
    I've had cars over take me and then slam on their brakes
    I've had people try to punch me while leaning out of passenger side windows as they pass me.
    I've had cans of coke thrown at me.
    I've had water poured over me by people leaning out of cars

OP..welcome to cycling in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Knocking cyclists off bikes has become a "game" in certain areas of Dublin - if the OP had a sense that it was done deliberately then it probably was! I have been pushed into a ditch by a passenger leaning out of the window of a car while climbing Cruagh Hill - it could easily have led to a serious injury!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've been hit twice by door mirrors but on both occasions I'm pretty sure it was carelessness, inattention, distraction etc. and not a deliberate act.

In my experience, when motorists do something deliberately, it tends to be accompanied by a blaring horn, passenger window down, shouting, gesticulating etc.

Like 07Lapierre, I've had the sudden braking, punch thrown by passengers and bottles thrown by passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Those woefully dangerous cyclists don't be killing 2 or 3 people each week on the roads and maiming many more though, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

I've been hit twice by door mirrors but on both occasions I'm pretty sure it was carelessness, inattention, distraction etc. and not a deliberate act.

In my experience, when motorists do something deliberately, it tends to be accompanied by a blaring horn, passenger window down, shouting, gesticulating etc.

Like 07Lapierre, I've had the sudden braking, punch thrown by passengers and bottles thrown by passengers.

Like this one?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EQELefJ0q3E
    Or
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HhzBAawblzU

We have to accept that there are dangerous samples around. Everywhere... even on road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sin_26 wrote: »
    Like this one?...

.....We have to accept that there are dangerous samples around. Everywhere... even on road.
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. I don't see how a motorist ploughing at speed into a street full of cyclists (at a protest?) is comparable to getting struck by a door mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

As WA says, I think the vast majority of incidents/close passes are due to inattentive drivers and possibly ignorance on the part of drivers of the need to give cyclists more road space. Deliberate aggressive incidents are rare and can happen anywhere.

• Advertisement

I've had a few oncoming car drivers swerve across at me from their lane in front of me on my motorbike. It's not a stretch to believe this at all to be honest. Lots of malicious people out there these days.

Advertisement