Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle Parking Fine Question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Marcusm wrote: »
    Can you show me the current bye laws. The 1986 Carlow ones preclude motor bikes from parking in parking bays which probably screws you altogether!

See reg 28.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1986/si/177/made/en/print

"177 County of Carlow Traffic and Parking Bye-Laws, 1986 Bye-laws 1-18, 30, 39-45 revoked S.I. No. 182 of 1997, regs. 2, 3(2)(a), sch. 1 pt. 2"

Looks like parts of that are gone but 28 referenced may still be in force.

You really need to apply to Carlow CC to provide motorcycle bays or you'll be continually vulnerable to legitimate enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

dizbo wrote: »
    If you actually read the general bye laws. It states that the parking ticket should be placed inside the vehicle. I can’t put a ticket inside the vehicle.

Stick in behind your screen and take a picture. You could ask a car driver to use their's for the picture.

Dublin is a different kettle of fish because its illegal for a motorcycle to use a pay parking bay. So they either have to loose revenue and provide motorcycle bays, even though you could charge 4 bikes in the same size space as a car, or turn a blind eye to considerate parking, you'll get done if you block the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

Write to the Council and ask them where you should park a motorcycle.
    If they have no suggestions then consider appealing the fine as they have made no provision for motorcyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

rock22 wrote: »
    Write to the Council and ask them where you should park a motorcycle.
    If they have no suggestions then consider appealing the fine as they have made no provision for motorcyclists

They were told in their appeal to use a pay and display bay. If motorcycles aren't banned from using the pay and display bay then the council has made provision for motorcycles, the logistics might be a tiny bit harder but a quick snap of a ticket on display will work if you need to appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

ED E wrote: »
    Can you show me the current bye laws. The 1986 Carlow ones preclude motor bikes from parking in parking bays which probably screws you altogether!

See reg 28.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1986/si/177/made/en/print

"177 County of Carlow Traffic and Parking Bye-Laws, 1986 Bye-laws 1-18, 30, 39-45 revoked S.I. No. 182 of 1997, regs. 2, 3(2)(a), sch. 1 pt. 2"

Looks like parts of that are gone but 28 referenced may still be in force.

You really need to apply to Carlow CC to provide motorcycle bays or you'll be continually vulnerable to legitimate enforcement.

Regulation 28 was never repealed, however, it was subject to the restriction applying to "business hours" specific to different locations as specified in the Schedule, the Schedule was repealed meaning that R28 no longer applies.

Without actually seeing the current Bye-Laws there is no way to discuss that issue further, but back to the OPs query, the fine is for parking on a footway, not for failure to park in a parking bay so irrespective of weather or not a bay is provided or if motorcycles are allowed or not makes no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

Del2005 wrote: »
    They were told in their appeal to use a pay and display bay. If motorcycles aren't banned from using the pay and display bay then the council has made provision for motorcycles, the logistics might be a tiny bit harder but a quick snap of a ticket on display will work if you need to appeal.
    I don't believe that is sufficient as it is not possible to place the ticket inside the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Motorcycle bays are parking for motorcyclists which is free to do so.

Why do you believe you should be able to use public space to store your vehicle for free?

We will see more of this as the distinction between bicycles and motorcycles blurrs further. I totally agree that the council should make specific provision for two-wheelers at high-volume locations. But at low volume locations, just use the regular vehicle storage space.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭dizbo

Why do you believe you should be able to use public space to store your vehicle for free?

We will see more of this as the distinction between bicycles and motorcycles blurrs further. I totally agree that the council should make specific provision for two-wheelers at high-volume locations. But at low volume locations, just use the regular vehicle storage space.

Motorcycle parking bays are always free parking. I’ve never seen a motorcycle bay who charges.

But there are very few motorcycle spaces anywhere. And according to their own bye laws. Motorcycles are not to park in car spaces during business hours. So where else can I park a motorbike if not allowed in a car space and not in a reasonable location on a footpath not obstructing anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Motorcycle parking bays are always free parking. I’ve never seen a motorcycle bay who charges.

But there are very few motorcycle spaces anywhere. And according to their own bye laws. Motorcycles are not to park in car spaces during business hours. So where else can I park a motorbike if not allowed in a car space and not in a reasonable location on a footpath not obstructing anyone.

It looks as if you need to find a section of road on which parking is permitted but which is not a designated bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭dizbo

It looks as if you need to find a section of road on which parking is permitted but which is not a designated bay.

Yeah. It’s going to be a hard one lol. I’ll see what the council come back with anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Yeah. It’s going to be a hard one lol. I’ll see what the council come back with anyway

If there’s no legitimate parking elsewhere, I suspect they would have to accommodate you in a bay. However, don’t park on the footpath again, you gurrier! :D

Advertisement