Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Implications of getting a British Driving Licence?

Options
  • 28-05-2019 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I am currently based in the UK and within a few weeks I hope to pass the test for a full motorbike licence. After I pass my test I believe that I will have to surrender my Irish (car) driving license so that it is replaced with a British driving license that allows me to drive both a car and a motorbike in the UK. I am just wondering what are the downstream implications of surrendering my Irish license in lieu of a British licence? I come back to Ireland every 2 months and rent cars on each return trip. Over the summer, I hope to come back to Ireland on the ferry and ride my new motorbike around Ireland on my holidays. I also have aspirations of using cars/motorbike in other EU countries while on trips. Will this be an issue post Brexit?

My question is this……It seems I have to have a British license as my motorbike training has been done in the UK. Will the new British car and motorbike licence be recognised in Ireland and in the EU. If not, this will cause me no end of problems. I was thinking about workarounds…I was tempted to report my Irish car license lost. The replacement license could then be given to the UK authorities while I could retain my old Irish license of car use in Ireland and in the EU. However, I’m not sure if the replacement license would have the same number as the original license number or if it is a new license number. I.e. I am not sure if my “found” (old) license would still be valid. I want to stay fully compliant with the law but I also want to avoid undue hassle when accessing rental cars/riding motorbikes in different jurisdictions.

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I can’t be the only one in this position.
    Cheers,
    Claxxix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No idea. But I wouldn't hand it over personally..no chance of that. Especially given how absolutely absymal the UK is running itself at the moment.

There's no credibility in deals being sorted or like for like standards being maintained

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You could get the UK licence then "move home" and convert it to an Irish licence again, this time with the bikes added. But then nobody knows what will happen in the UK with regards to mutual recognition so you might not be able to drive with an Irish licence.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Del2005 wrote: »
    But then nobody knows what will happen in the UK with regards to mutual recognition so you might not be able to drive with an Irish licence.

The UK has been consistent with its advice to date about mutual recognition of EU licences post-Brexit. They will continue to recognise them on present terms.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit

Ireland has issued advice that in the event of a no deal. UK licences will not be recognised if you are resident in Ireland. However, if you are visiting they will be recognised and an IDP will not be required.

https://www.ndls.ie/images/Documents/FAQs/FAQ%20on%20Brexit%20Implications.pdf

If you are driving in Europe with a UK licence post-Brexit, you may need an IDP (e.g. France) of the correct sort for the EU country(ies) you wish drive in. There are an number of EU member states that do not require an IDP for visits.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/international-driving-permits-for-uk-drivers-from-28-march-2019#eu-and-eea-countries-where-you-can-drive-without-an-idp

"Moving home" may not be an option as unless you are actually "resident" you will have to make a false declaration about residency. That may not be immediately spotted, but if it later comes out in the wash, be prepared for a lot of bother from the old bill.

Long and short if you are continuing to be resident in the UK stick with the local licence. Going away on holiday might require a five quid bit of paper from the post office and a green card from your insurer if taking your vehicle abroad. Not the end of the world or that challenging to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

claxxix wrote: »
    …I was tempted to report my Irish car license lost. The replacement license could then be given to the UK authorities while I could retain my old Irish license of car use in Ireland and in the EU.

In a word, Don't.

Your UK licence will be endorsed with the phrase 'exchanged for Irish Licence' or similar. That's what was written on my UK one from the 90's at any rate.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

galwaytt wrote: »
    In a word, Don't.

Your UK licence will be endorsed with the phrase 'exchanged for Irish Licence' or similar. That's what was written on my UK one from the 90's at any rate.

Agreed, it won't work anyway. DVLA would contact NDLS to verify entitlements and inform them of licence exchange.

I swapped my car one over to NI here a few years ago. It has a code under section 12 that ends in IRL. I assume this is equivalent of what was on yours in the 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭claxxix

Thanks guys for all the advice. I really appreciate it. Special thanks to Macplaxton for the detailed and verifiable advice. Top man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

It's extremely unlikely that the RSA won't hammer out an exchange agreement asap similar to the ones we have with parts of Canada, Japan, NZ, Australia etc. (which I imagine will happy very quickly post-Brexit). As long as you are resident elsewhere, you will drive in Ireland with a foreign licence as a visitor so nothing to worry about there. I literally wouldn't worry about this issue at all. You are definitely better off having had exchanged your licence entitlements to the UK and consolidated for all kinds of reasons and you will also be able to ride/ drive anywhere as a guest on either a UK or Irish licence. You have nothing to worry about.

Advertisement