Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bin bye-laws

Options
  • 28-05-2019 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.corkcity.ie/en/council-services/news-room/latest-news/bye-laws-for-the-storage-segregation-and-presentation-of-waste.pdf
    6. Collection Times and Container Removal.
    (a) Outside Cork City Centre, a holder shall not present kerbside waste for
    collection before 6.00pm on the day immediately preceding the designated waste
    collection day.
    All such waste containers used for the presentation of kerbside waste and any
    uncollected waste shall be removed from any roadway, footway, footpath or any
    other public place no later than 7.00pm on the designated waste collection day.
    (b) Within Cork City Centre a holder shall not present kerbside waste for collection
    before 3.00am on the designated waste collection day.
    All such waste containers used for the presentation of kerbside waste and any
    uncollected waste shall be removed from any roadway, footway, footpath or any
    other public place immediately after collection but no later than 2.00pm on the
    designated waste collection day

Does anyone know how strict this is going to be enforced?
    How exactly do they expect you to have bins in by 2pm if you work on the day bins are collected?
    I understand that bins constantly left on the footpath can be an obstacle for wheelchairs but this seems a rather unrealistic target

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yogmeister

I can t see it being enforced, just more bull from the city hall to make it look like they are doing something to combat dumping. City hall love all these fancy proposals but in reality this will be forgotten about by Christmas and they ll be getting ready to announce their next ill thought out plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Be just easier to fly tip it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Why can't they put the bin back where I left it ? Nah feck it smack bang in the middle of the driveway entrance so I have to stop the car and get out and move it before parking up. Every bloody time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Just like illegal parking this won't be enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Just like illegal parking this won't be enforced.

I don't see that they can, my bin isn't collected until roughly 4pm so how would that work ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Heckler wrote: »
    Why can't they put the bin back where I left it ? Nah feck it smack bang in the middle of the driveway entrance so I have to stop the car and get out and move it before parking up. Every bloody time.

Those lads don't suffer fools gladly one old guy complained about his bin being left close to his neighbours driveway. Let just say he was fighting for his life in hospital for 2 months...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

That's going to be unenforceable. My bins are often picked up afternoon and I don't get back home before 7pm nor do I have a butler to do it for me! This is just petty and annoying bureaucracy that they know will just be unenforceable.

I wish they would deal with the bin companies who collect properly presented bins and leave them on the road in residential areas. I've complained to my bin company several times about this and it keeps happening. You come back to find the recycling bin just fecked anywhere on the road or blocking the pavement.

The priority should be dealing with illegal dumping / fly tippers. My street gets the odd bag of rubbish dumped. Quiet residential area close to town and basically someone will just drive past and dump either lawn clippings or household waste. I reported it before, including a description of the car and got nowhere.

We typically get about 2 or 3 bags dumped a week. In most cases residents end up having to put them into their bins as the council doesn't necessarily respond or it could be a Friday evening or something. So it's probably not even being recorded as a problem

There is a few things I would like the council to look at

1 lockable bins that can be opened when the bin company scan to weigh your bin, this would stop rogue people dumping rubbish in other peoples bins and also stop loads of other peoples rubbish going all over the place when its windy and it's those neighbours that conveniently don't pick up there own mess.
    2 An area for people in city terraces to store their bins, might not be practical but they should come up with a solution
    3 any new development to have a bin storage policy. Cant believe in the 50s they built houses realising external access to the rear garden was necessary but somehow today planning passes with none therefore giving people the option of leaving bins outside their front or left wheeling then through the house. Bins outside the front in any street or housing estate looks terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Within the city centre, I'd like to see facilities where people can bring small bags of rubbish to dump for a small fee.
    This would get rid of a lot of trucks and bins in the centre.

There are various options to bring rubbish but they all seem to be geared towards people in cars with large bags of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

Easily known this 7PM curfew (in the suburbs) was thought up by a City Hall official with zero understanding of the kind of working hours kept by people in the real world. My bin day is Thu and I didn't get out of the office until close to 9PM that evening. I'm actually kinda hoping they fine me because I would love an opportunity to self-represent in court and call out these idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

There's some animals near me left their bin with crap pouring out of it for the last few days and left it to the likes of me and my neighbours to put it back in. Rubbish collectors didn't empty it as it was over flowing. Still out there now disgusting wasters who are on the dole

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

There is a few things I would like the council to look at

1 lockable bins that can be opened when the bin company scan to weigh your bin, this would stop rogue people dumping rubbish in other peoples bins and also stop loads of other peoples rubbish going all over the place when its windy and it's those neighbours that conveniently don't pick up there own mess.
    2 An area for people in city terraces to store their bins, might not be practical but they should come up with a solution
    3 any new development to have a bin storage policy. Cant believe in the 50s they built houses realising external access to the rear garden was necessary but somehow today planning passes with none therefore giving people the option of leaving bins outside their front or left wheeling then through the house. Bins outside the front in any street or housing estate looks terrible

They can't even afford to tar the roads no mind getting scanning lockable bins

mean gene wrote: »
    They can't even afford to tar the roads no mind getting scanning lockable bins

Never knew Bin Companies tarred the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

You can get so called gravity locks.

Advertisement