Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

200 bags of Tayto, 1,000 Lyons green label

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

tuxy wrote: »
    Bacon products are available in the USA.
    If you're going to take such risks you need to import blackcurrant.

You can get blackcurrant in the States, Ribena via Amazon and the plants are available (not widely though).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I got bisto sent over when i lived away and lyons tea and tayto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

meanies

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

RaySla wrote: »
    Barry's tea and dairy gold butter is a must
    Kerry Gold sold stateside in Trader Joe's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i dont get this bringing over irish food. the whole point of living in a foreign country to me is eating foreign food. id never miss taytos or tea or sausages or whatever. just my take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I live in Germany and after 8 years I have got used to the local food. It just nice to have a treat now and then to remind you of home.

I can buy Chocolate here now when I couldn't when I 1st move over. Tea here is OK but not as strong. I could live without Lyon's if needed but sure if I pack 120 pack each time why not.

I seat with a few Irish in work and we talk about food at home a lot. Stuff that is not here. Cakes are different, Take away's are not as nice. Chinese and Indian are made different then they would be in Ireland.

2nd to Family is food on the missed list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SandyMac1234

Rashers and sausages with Brennens bread! And kerrygold.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

tuxy wrote: »
    Bacon products are available in the USA.
    If you're going to take such risks you need to import blackcurrant.

Bacon is available but you will struggle to find either rashers or decent sausages. They don't do the cuts for the rashers unless you are somewhere like NY where they might have a fella supplying shops that do a lot of Irish (or UK) products. Either way, if you are caught trying to bring them in it's an automatic either $500 or $750 fine. Something of that magnitude

Kerrygold is something you can get in any half-decent supermarket over there. It'll be on the shelf in with all the American butter.

As for blackcurrants, I think that the absolute ban was removed a few years ago. I think the plant itself was banned rather than the berry itself. Fresh berries might be a problem maybe but if they're in jams or dried or processed in some way. But even then, I'm not sure the plant is still under a blanket ban

As for those Kinder surprise eggs................I think they are still illegal to import although there was some court case a year or two ago so maybe that changed since.

Fathom wrote: »

It's cheaper in Costco!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Rashers and sausages with Brennens bread! And kerrygold.

Kerry gold butter is in every Publix supermarket in Florida

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭micks_address

Palmy wrote: »
    Kerry gold butter is in every Publix supermarket in Florida

Yep in the market baskets in new Hampshire to.. as are barrys tea bags...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

i dont get this bringing over irish food. the whole point of living in a foreign country to me is eating foreign food. id never miss taytos or tea or sausages or whatever. just my take.

It's a bogger thing. Same ones that wear gaa jerseys to the beach and sing the fields of anhenry and Galway girl after a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What is the longest stretch that you have lived abroad for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

if you like Irish tea and live abroad there really is no substitute available. If you were a coffee drinker you are grand but irish blend tea is unique and none of the foreign equivalents work as an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

For tea drinkers living in the US, Trader Joe's have an Irish breakfast tea that's pretty good. I just discovered it recently. Saves a fortune on buying expensive Irish teabags!

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    For tea drinkers living in the US, Trader Joe's have an Irish breakfast tea that's pretty good. I just discovered it recently. Saves a fortune on buying expensive Irish teabags!

I drink it in work, it's not bad but not quite as good as the stuff from home.

Side note, Trader Joe's also do excellent non UHT milk which is on a par with home,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I drink it in work, it's not bad but not quite as good as the stuff from home.

Side note, Trader Joe's also do excellent non UHT milk which is on a par with home,

Is there something wrong with the milk here? I always just buy the red top ones from various stores and don't taste any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Originally Posted by Fathom

It's cheaper in Costco!

In California its pretty much the same price in Trader Joe's vs Costco. In Costco you have to buy the 4 box mulitpack.

Pretty much anything you want you can buy online and get delivered these days. Amazon or Planet Candy in Cork ship.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Is there something wrong with the milk here? I always just buy the red top ones from various stores and don't taste any difference?

Yeah, most of the milk is UHT or "Ultra Pasteurized" which is pretty much the same as the little things of long life milk you get in hotel rooms. It doesn't taste the same as fresh milk. It doesn't need to be refrigerated either.

If you can find milk in glass bottles it's usually "regular" milk like we have at home. TJ's organic milk is like the stuff at home too.

You can usually tell by the dates on the milk, non UHT will usually be good for up to 10 days. UHT milk is typically a month or two.

In California its pretty much the same price in Trader Joe's vs Costco. In Costco you have to buy the 4 box mulitpack.

Pretty much anything you want you can buy online and get delivered these days. Amazon or Planet Candy in Cork ship.

True, we go through a lot of butter so Costco makes sense.

Wasn't aware of planet Candy in Cork, will have to check it out.

• Advertisement

True, we go through a lot of butter so Costco makes sense.

Wasn't aware of planet Candy in Cork, will have to check it out.

Yeah, usually go for the Costco pack, but if it's the only thing that you need it's not worth the trek to Costco just for one item. If it go in there I come out spending at least $200 every time, even if i just went in for one thing! :D

Planet Candy is good, but my wife goes mad on it sometimes. Might have to block the domain on our broadband router!!! :P:D:P

Yeah, usually go for the Costco pack, but if it's the only thing that you need it's not worth the trek to Costco just for one item. If it go in there I come out spending at least $200 every time, even if i just went in for one thing! :D

Planet Candy is good, but my wife goes mad on it sometimes. Might have to block the domain on our broadband router!!! :P:D:P

Sure I don't think anyone can leave Costco without spending at least $200. I love that place!

Sure I don't think anyone can leave Costco without spending at least $200. I love that place!

Yeah, it's awesome! Go in for butter, milk and bog roll... come out with 4 slabs of beer, a BBQ, a canoe and a TV :-)

It's like the middle jackpot aisle of Lidl on steroids!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

What are rashers? Are they like Canadian bacon? Where to buy in SoCal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Turnips and misery

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Canadian bacon, except tasty. It's the cured meat from the back of a pig. Canadian bacon is the SPAMified version. It's like comparing Xmas ham to luncheon meat ham or a chicken breast on the bone to a chicken nugget.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

BailMeOut wrote: »
    We send my sister and her kids hula-hoops, cadbury tiffin and YR sauce. That's all they ever want.

They don’t sound Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Turnips and misery

1950’s are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

grindle wrote: »
    Canadian bacon, except tasty. It's the cured meat from the back of a pig. Canadian bacon is the SPAMified version. It's like comparing Xmas ham to luncheon meat ham or a chicken breast on the bone to a chicken nugget.
    Nope. Rashers are like peameal bacon, but often thinner. Found Canadian bacon to be what the Irish would call "streaky bacon".
    but if it's the only thing that you need it's not worth the trek to Costco just for one item.
    The 40 pack of toilet roll was usually the primary objective, although I often got the Kirkland hotdogs, as well as a 20 pack of mandarins (in orange juice).
    They don’t sound Irish.
    Who cares; you can't get them easily in Canada!

=-=

Back to the topic at hand; teabags always went down well. Also, bring Cadburys chocolate. The stuff from Ireland tastes different than the stuff made in Toronto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Also, ask them if they want you to bring over one or two power bars. It was one thing I missed, as I had Irish plug electronics, but didn't enough adaptors to use them all.

Ensure the case you bring the crisps in is tough. You'll lose a few kg from your max weight, but otherwise the crisps will get battered in the hold.

Advertisement