Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 Women's World Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

1st glimpse of this tournament,3-0 now,its a decent game,some good passing from norway in particular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

givyjoe wrote: »
    Jus watched the Warm up game between England and New Zealand (who hadn't won for 12 games).

England are winning fcuk all.

Phil Neville as manager ffs. I saw a bizarre clip of him talking the other day to the squad about how he never made it into a World Cup squad for one reason or another, guessing it was some kind of attempt at motivating the squad or making them feel appreciative of being there.

They'll implode at some point and he'll be lynched.
    Hopefully and hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

1st glimpse of this tournament,3-0 now,its a decent game,some good passing from norway in particular

Pity Nigeria didn't get a goal, they kept at it in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

And to think that Norway's best player refuses to play for them. They'd be another level otherwise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I hadn't watched women's football in a while.
    The GKs are still dreadful I see.
    They all seem to have the reaction speed of a slug on strong medication.
    Any player that can lob a ball at any speed twoards the goal is likely to beat the keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I like that new sub law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Dramatic ending in the Italy- Australia match. Australia paid for a cynical foul in the last minute. Enjoyable match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kksaints wrote: »
    Dramatic ending in the Italy- Australia match. Australia paid for a cynical foul in the last minute. Enjoyable match.

Keeper had a mare. Half arsed in coming for the cross then the header ended up being a very tame one that would have been easily saved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Entertaining Brazil v Jamaica. Two good keepers. Nearly ruined by a penalty that wasn't, but was well saved.

Honestly this can't be the handball rule in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Think England will get a pen here against Scotland. VAR being used.

Yep. 1-0 England.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

And another one. Who thought this handball rule was better? Nobody claimed it at the time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

That pen was almost the same as the one Liverpool got in the CL final, so refs and FIFA being consistent. But the handball rule as its currently being applied is a joke.

FatherTed wrote: »
    Right the game is a bit slower but it's also refreshing with much less diving and complaining and better sportsmanship than the men.

Watching the England V Scotland game English team are all but diving, going down under nothing and complaining to the ref for everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Watching the England V Scotland game English team are all but diving, going down under nothing and complaining to the ref for everything.

The Italy-Australia match was similar. Presumably the increased stakes is putting more pressure on the players and changing their attitudes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

2 nil England.

Cuthbert head and shoulders above anything else Scotland have.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Steph Houghton a liability. Gives it away, time and again. Deserved goal for Scotland.

I've only tuned in for the past 5 mins but Scotland have moved the ball well. Terrible pass and what was the left back doing?

England scraping a win, they aren't anywhere near as good as they think they are. Scotland dominated the second half.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

England were very good in the first half, but borderline dismal in the second. They need to fix that if they're serious about going deep into the competition.

Overall though, I'm enjoying the competition so far (as I expected I would tbh). :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

dfx- wrote: »
    Honestly this can't be the handball rule in the future.
    I think the offence of handball is going to be very broadly defined from now on, in a way that many fans are not happy with.

"Natural position" in particular is something that is going to be limited to a range of fairly unnatural positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

overall standard not great - out of curiosity , what level to you think the top teams (USA or England) would be at in mens football.

Would they give Shelbourne a decent game ?

thebaz wrote: »
    overall standard not great - out of curiosity , what level to you think the top teams (USA or England) would be at in mens football.

I can't remember exactly, but the US women's team had a warm-up against some MLS underage boys team, under-16 I think, and got beaten.

Ok, it's a warm up so you can't read a huge amount into it as the result didn't matter, but even at that age, the boys just outmuscled them.

Any senior men's LOI team, even if they weren't all that skillful, would just be way too strong, way too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Entertainment in the odd game if very lacking in quality, I am down with an injury at the moment, so the extra ball on telly is welcome. Thought Spain were haunted to beat south Africa with var pen, and thought that the pen for England was a soft var one. Are the new rules re handball in?

thebaz wrote: »

Who cares?

It's not ever going to happen in any meaningful form.

I don't understand why people just can't take it for what it is and the comparison to the mens game? It's women doing something they love and being an inspiration to many young girls, and boys, across the world. Most of them also are holding full time or part time jobs and education so they can ensure they have a roof over their heads when their lowly compensated, but passionately fulfilled, careers are finished.

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Entertainment in the odd game if very lacking in quality, I am down with an injury at the moment, so the extra ball on telly is welcome. Thought Spain were haunted to beat south Africa with var pen, and thought that the pen for England was a soft var one. Are the new rules re handball in?

All new laws are in this World Cup.

osarusan wrote: »
    I think the offence of handball is going to be very broadly defined from now on, in a way that many fans are not happy with.

"Natural position" in particular is something that is going to be limited to a range of fairly unnatural positions.

Hand ball rule is going to turn into field hockey where players will start looking for arms in the penalty box to get a pen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Who cares?

I don't understand why people just can't take it for what it is and the comparison to the mens game? It's women doing something they love and being an inspiration to many young girls, and boys, across the world. Most of them also are holding full time or part time jobs and education so they can ensure they have a roof over their heads when their lowly compensated, but passionately fulfilled, careers are finished.

Perhaps if some high profile former players in the women's game weren't making moronic claims for 'equal pay', people wouldn't try to compare the two. As it is, such claims are laughable when you look at the money and interest generated in the men's game, coupled with the gigantic gulf in quality/ability of players between the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I can't remember exactly, but the US women's team had a warm-up against some MLS underage boys team, under-16 I think, and got beaten.

Ok, it's a warm up so you can't read a huge amount into it as the result didn't matter, but even at that age, the boys just outmuscled them.

Any senior men's LOI team, even if they weren't all that skillful, would just be way too strong, way too fast.

It was FC Dallas's U-15 academy team. The academy team won 5-2.

Shelbourne would absoultely hammer the USWNT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Who cares?

I don't understand why people just can't take it for what it is and the comparison to the mens game? It's women doing something they love and being an inspiration to many young girls, and boys, across the world.

given all the media hype about inequality in pay , its a valid question , what standard is it at in comparison to mens game.
    BTW I'm all for the promotion of the game , particularly at grass root and lower level , anything to keep all kids active .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

All them women commentators who like to blame men for lack of equal pay or lack of viewers in women's football , I'd like to remind them that half the population of this planet is female . If they took as much interest supporting and watching football as men do , then women's sport will make as much money as men do.

It's a daft argument by some commentators. They think if they throw in the buzz words like "pay equality" and "gender gap" they'll have a valid point.

Im all for increased promotion and inclusion of girls in sport at local level on a par with the opportunities boys get. There's just a few realities of top level womens soccer that the commentators seem to be choosing to ignore.

They seem to want FIFA to sub the women's game to the extent that their top players are paid on a par with the men's games top players. They certainly want the WWC prize money pot to be on a par with the men's equivalent.

Alot of European countries struggle to support fulltime professional men's league's. So fulltime professional women's league's are naturally going to be even scarcer. If it's going to grow its going to be from the bottom up and they're looking at 20 year plans. The standard will have to improve dramatically in that time. It's mostly part timers and amateurs at this tournament.

To be fair to FIFA/UEFA they have given grants so the likes of ourselves are able to run a national women's league. Obviously, more can be done to encourage girls to play soccer but the elite level will always be constrained by the amount of people that attend games and that has knock on effects for sponsorship and TV rights.

• Advertisement

I think equal pay is daft too because the money in the men's game is outrageous. What would be nice though is that women could earn enough to make a living and that the national team players be compensated appropriately.

The US women's team has done more for soccer in the US and generated more income than the men's team. Yet, the women won't get a fraction that the men will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I think equal pay is daft too because the money in the men's game is outrageous. What would be nice though is that women could earn enough to make a living and that the national team players be compensated appropriately.

The US women's team has done more for soccer in the US and generated more income than the men's team. Yet, the women won't get a fraction that the men will.

So women should go out and support the game, buy tickets to games, buy jerseys etc, be willing to pay extra to see games on TV. That's the only way it can/should be sustainably funded.

Problem is that the above doesn't happen as there isn't a demand, arguably there isn't a demand because the lack of quality in the game. People want to/pay to see the best on offer. There is still an extremely noticeable lack of all round quality in the women's game.

And the lack of quality (compared to the men's game) will always be there so long as the game is still underfunded at grassroots.

I do feel that that is changing but it will be years before we see that improved quality.

It's a double edged sword.

I'm just sick of the first thing I read every time there is a womens tournament is "oh how would they do against a mens team? They'd get smashed blah blah blah... "
    We aren't as strong or as fast. Nothing we can do about that but we can play good football, we can entertain and we can inspire just like the men's game. The pros train as hard and many on the biggest stage are part time with full time jobs but still giving equal commitment.

Don't understand why it can't be taken for what it is without comparison!

That's me finished ranting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I'm just sick of the first thing I read every time there is a womens tournament is "oh how would they do against a mens team? They'd get smashed blah blah blah... "
    We aren't as strong or as fast. Nothing we can do about that but we can play good football, we can entertain and we can inspire just like the men's game. The pros train as hard and many on the biggest stage are part time with full time jobs but still giving equal commitment.

Totally agree re this - it is meaningless to compare mens v womens teams. They are different in the same way that the Dublin Ladies Gaelic football team are top of their game atm but would no doubt be well beaten by the men's team (as would a lot of men's teams mind you:p). However, many people (men included) said the women's final last year was one of the best football games - across both genders - of the year. A fantastic game to watch in its own right, and was enjoyed by all as a competitive and entertaining match. Who cares that they would be beaten by the men's team? It's not relevant imo.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

And the lack of quality (compared to the men's game) will always be there so long as the game is still underfunded at grassroots.

I do feel that that is changing but it will be years before we see that improved quality.

It's a double edged sword.

I have to agree. Nobody watches women's athletics in the Olympics and asks how well the women's 1500m contestants would do in the men's race. Presumably it's because women's athletics is a more mature TV sport so there isn't the novelty value, for want of a better description, that football still has to a certain extent.

Zaph wrote: »
    Presumably it's because women's athletics is a more mature TV sport so there isn't the novelty value, for want of a better description, that football still has to a certain extent.
    Yeah, I think this is true. Give it a generation and women's football will be normalised in its own right, as, say, athletics and tennis are now.

And as it is normalised, it will continue to attract a higher quality of athletes to it, improving it further.

No, it will never ever be on a par with men's football, but that's a fairly pointless comparison anyway.

I'm not a fan of the 'equal money' argument as money in sport is almost all about how much advertising and TV revenue an event brings in, but I have no problem with govt funding giving women's sports their fair share.

Yeah, I think this is true. Give it a generation and women's football will be normalised in its own right, as, say, athletics and tennis are now.

And as it is normalised, it will continue to attract a higher quality of athletes to it, improving it further.

No, it will never ever be on a par with men's football, but that's a fairly pointless comparison anyway.

I'm not a fan of the 'equal money' argument as money in sport is almost all about how much advertising and TV revenue an event brings in, but I have no problem with govt funding giving women's sports their fair share.

Yeah, look at the coverage the FAWSL is getting now with BT Sports and they are getting huge numbers at cup finals. That's becoming the norm now. Even Manchester United felt the need to get a women's team back to compete with City after disbanding it in the early naughties.

Remember that the women's game before the World War was vastly more popular than the men's game.

I want to know the definition of equality that the commentators are using. Equal to whom exactly? The money in the mens game has gone mad. It would be a terrible model to follow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

One comparison you can make with the men's game where the women's game is light years ahead, is diving.

The women soccer players generally don't dive or try to cheat. Its honestly a breath of fresh air when you watch women's soccer to see the game being played with an ounce of integrity.

• Advertisement

Japan are playing much more expansive football but Argentina are happy to wait for them to get around the box and win it there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Athletics is different though. Its run as one competition. As in at the same time, not men v women obviously. If you go to an athletics event theres mens and womens events on one after the other during the day.

There isn't a mens Olympics and a women's Olympics separately. So you get the crowd there for everything at once.

Also, Irish referee Michelle O' Neill is running the line in the Japan vs Argentina game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Banini playing some good stuff!
    Hoping for an Argentina win myself.

Hazys wrote: »
    One comparison you can make with the men's game where the women's game is light years ahead, is diving.

The women soccer players generally don't dive or try to cheat. Its honestly a breath of fresh air when you watch women's soccer to see the game being played with an ounce of integrity.
    I would expect that if the money increases in women's football, so will diving and cheating in general, sadly.

That one touch pass around the corner from the Japan's no.6 was just filthy

• Advertisement

Argentina will give away penalties in this tournament. They're mad for a slide tackle. I feel it's only a matter of time before Japan score to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Seeing the Japanese whip in high balls over & over again into the box was an interesting observation into a collective lack of self awareness.

They are quite good when they remember not to hoof it up to their lilliputian forwards

England and Scotland will both be quietly confident watching this game, even though I'd say both teams tonight look better on the ball than them, the goal threat doesn't seem too scary.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Athletics is different though. Its run as one competition. As in at the same time, not men v women obviously. If you go to an athletics event theres mens and womens events on one after the other during the day.

There isn't a mens Olympics and a women's Olympics separately. So you get the crowd there for everything at once.

True, but the point I was making is that nobody asks how the women would do against the men, however that seems to be a recurring theme when it comes to football possibly, as I said, because women's football is still pretty new for a lot of people. The question is why do people feel the need to make that comparison if they're not doing it with other sports? It serves no purpose other than attempt to undermine the abilities of the women players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Seems that the distance of the goal kicks have improved since the last world cup, not as many keeper howlers thus far.

But positive developments.

PS would they consider using smaller goals?

• Advertisement
Advertisement