Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 Women's World Cup

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The games gone mad!!!. 2-2 .

Obviously I meant to say basketball score.

Oh wait , VAR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Can't take your eyes off this for a second! Ellen White for the golden boot probably - I think she has been the most consistent striker in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,021 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Very harsh if they rule this out!

<edit> lame. Extremely harsh. Handballs in this world cup have been a bit of a disaster in all their forms.

Ellen white must despise VAR

God players really can't celebrate goals anymore with VAR, it picks up on everything I guess.

I think the "challenge" idea - i.e. 1 or 2 challenges per game for each side might be worth a trial maybe to see how it would work out.

Much better stuff from England now after a slow start. Some lovely build up play.

God players really can't celebrate goals anymore with VAR, it picks up on everything I guess.

I think the "challenge" idea - i.e. 1 or 2 challenges per game for each side might be worth a trial maybe to see how it would work out.

It's really weird the way they review the handballs... we could see what she was seeing on screen, repeating the same few frames over and over in slow motion. Doesn't seem to make sense at all, especially if you're ignoring the context in the build up to it, how the ball was moving, where it came from, where they were coming from, the natural movement of their arms int he half seconds preceding etc... They dont' seem to care at all if it was simply a meeting of two natural actions. All they seem to care about is if the ball touches your arm in any way at any time it's all your fault and you must be punished. Hate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The whole VAR review process needs a good overhaul. In this case it is in the ballpark of the Henry "control" of the ball. This one tends to be pulled up anyway with or without technology.

• Advertisement

Surely Houghton knows she can head back to her keeper?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

is_that_so wrote: »
    The whole VAR review process needs a good overhaul. In this case it is in the ballpark of the Henry "control" of the ball. This one tends to be pulled up anyway with or without technology.

I was just going to say the reason for the no goal was due to how the ball was deflected by arm which led to the goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

One of the main issues with VAR, it's definitely going to get players only half heatedly celebrating and looking around until the review is over.It takes emotion out of the game.

One of the main issues with VAR, it's definitely going to get players only half heatedly celebrating and looking around until the review is over.It takes emotion out of the game.

The days of the ol' taking the jersey off and running into the crowd may be gone now, when even yellow cards couldn't stop it :D:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Houghton looked like she handled it too later and not given by either form of officials. White was handball, but rarely given/seen, fairly clear she used her arm to put the ball into position for a shot.

England back in it since Rolfo went off.

Better team won it. Defensive frailties at the heart of the defeat, once again.

• Advertisement

Abba :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Embarrassing for the BBC pundit who.said before the Dutch/Sweden match that England would have beaten either of those teams if they were playing them.

People giving out to posters here for being patronising when the BBC especially Jonathan Pierce have been embarrassingly over the top.

patmac wrote: »
    Embarrassing for the BBC pundit who.said before the Dutch/Sweden match that England would have beaten either of those teams if they were playing them.

People giving out to posters here for being patronising when the BBC especially Jonathan Pierce have been embarrassingly over the top.

That's just Jonathan Pearce her always goes a bit overboard and what would you expect from a English broadcast they always overdo it in relation to the English team (as do we in Ireland when it comes to the Rugby team in particular) .

patmac wrote: »

It's the pundit's curse and of course that naive assumption that a team not playing well signifies a team who can easily be beaten. I did avoid the BBC at times when England were playing.

I see Rapinoe is at it again. A lot of respect for her as a player and she can be a great spokesperson but sometimes should just learn to zip it. Just to clarify the Gold Cup starts over 3 hours after the final and the Copa America Final is a full 6 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I thought what she said was fair enough. It's not the hourly scheduling of the final that's the problem, it's the fact that instead of the World Cup final being the sole game on that day, as in almost any sport should be, it's only 1 of 3 finals. She's only standing up for her sport, her 'zipping it' is not how the game will start to gain more respect from the authorities because they'll have to do a hell of a lot of pushing themselves.

is_that_so wrote: »
    I see Rapinoe is at it again. A lot of respect for her as a player and she can be a great spokesperson but sometimes should just learn to zip it. Just to clarify the Gold Cup starts over 3 hours after the final and the Copa America Final is a full 6 hours.

It is possible to watch 3 different games during the same day the other 2 finals doesn't take away from the women's final and she forgets that there is a very tight window to fit all these international competitions into so they really don't have much choice but to have the other 2 finals today as I'm sure the european clubs want all their players back as soon as possible.The women are getting a higher proportion of revenue as prize money than the men are yet this will be conveniently forgotten when the inevitable boring debate about the discrepancies in prize money will be discussed in the next few days.

Corholio wrote: »
    I thought what she said was fair enough. It's not the hourly scheduling of the final that's the problem, it's the fact that instead of the World Cup final being the sole game on that day, as in almost any sport should be, it's only 1 of 3 finals. She's only standing up for her sport, her 'zipping it' is not how the game will start to gain more respect from the authorities because they'll have to do a hell of a lot of pushing themselves.

I'd argue it's great scheduling as for soccer fans you have 3 finals on the one day it's great for the sport.

Also there is limited time to fit all these games in, I imagine the European clubs are not as happy with the AFCON finishing so late in the summer.

In spite of the fact that I agree with her contempt for Trump, nothing seems to be good enough for her.She's going to have a great career in the media as a rent a quote crank type in years to come.

It is possible to watch 3 different games during the same day the other 2 finals doesn't take away from the women's final and she forgets that there is a very tight window to fit all these international competitions into so they really don't have much choice but to have the other 2 finals today as I'm sure the european clubs want all their players back as soon as possible.The women are getting a higher proportion of revenue as prize money than the men are yet this will be conveniently forgotten when the inevitable boring debate about the discrepancies in prize money will be discussed in the next few days.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/06/megan-rapinoe-attacks-fifa-womens-world-cup-schedule-prize-money

As the article states FIFA were looking at a bigger picture and it is a non-issue to me. I think she can do a lot for the women's game in the USA and probably worldwide into the future but she does need to learn a different approach.

She's not standing up for the sport, she's standing up for their match only. I think people can see the significance of the World Cup Final. As mentioned above clubs have a say and we're fast heading towards the new season and players in all competitions need to get time out to rest and start pre-season.

2018 FIFA Men's World Cup Total Revenue = 6.10 billion Dollars
    2018 FIFA Men's World Cup Prize money = 400 million Dollars
    Proportion = 6.55%

2015 FIFA womens world Cup Total Revenue = 73 million Dollars
    2015 FIFA womens world cup Prize money = 15 million Dollars
    Proportion = 20.50%

Actually in the same interview she said that she understands the mens game is financially far more advanced than the womens. It's the ever increasing gap that she had issues with. FIFA scheduling would be criticised in all other ways and constantly is by people in the mens game, players, coaches across the board.

Proportion of revenue isn't much of a detail when the real detail is that it's 15m v 400m surely.

Actually in the same interview she said that she understands the mens game is financially far more advanced than the womens. It's the ever increasing gap that she had issues with. FIFA scheduling would be criticised in all other ways and constantly is by people in the mens game, players, coaches across the board.

Proportion of revenue isn't much of a detail when the real detail is that it's 15m v 400m surely.

But they can't really expect to get paid close to the sum the men get when they don't generate the same amount of money.The proportion they are getting shows they are not being treated unfairly.I'm all for the female players getting paid a higher proportion like they are I just don't want to have to listen to the tedious complaining about their prize money when they are clearly not being treated unfairly.

A singer who performs in pubs around Dublin will not earn the same amount of money for a performance as Bruce Springsteen does.

But they can't really expect to get paid close to the sum the men get when they don't generate the same amount of money.The proportion they are getting shows they are not being treated unfairly.I'm all for the female players getting paid a higher proportion like they are I just don't want to have to listen to the tedious complaining about their prize money when they are clearly not being treated unfairly.

A singer who performs in pubs around Dublin will not earn the same amount of money for a performance as Bruce Springsteen does.

Nobody said anything about the same or even close. The gap is growing at a rate it shouldn't be, despite increased interest in the games. But I think that's a problem for over saturation and financial craziness of the mens currently.

Nobody said anything about the same or even close. The gap is growing at a rate it shouldn't be, despite increased interest in the games. But I think that's a problem for over saturation and financial craziness of the mens currently.

Sorry, I was projecting about what I know is going to happen in the American media in the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Not FIFA fault two other confederations have finals n the same day. Sure how many Copa America’s have there been in the past 4 years feels like it’s been on each summer apart from last year.

Not FIFA fault two other confederations have finals n the same day. Sure how many Copa America’s have there been in the past 4 years feels like it’s been on each summer apart from last year.

Another one next year aswell.

Then it will be on the same year as the Euros from that point onwards , which I think is a poor move but I imagine it must be what the clubs want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If FIFA are talking about getting rid of the Confederations cup, why not move the women’s World Cup to that slot boom you have that country host the women’s World Cup the year before the men’s that would raise the profile of the women’s game

If FIFA are talking about getting rid of the Confederations cup, why not move the women’s World Cup to that slot boom you have that country host the women’s World Cup the year before the men’s that would raise the profile of the women’s game

Would it really raise the profile, it would feel like it was directly playing second fiddle to the Mens game and was being used as a warm up.

The way it is currently it's the be all and end all for the host country and they have to give 100% to the running of the Womens world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just looking at Danger Here! - really looking old now - liver spots and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Come on the Dutch!

The Dutch can't afford stupid passes like that in the final third.

Great reaction save there!

Serious theatrics from Morgan there :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Dutch are on the ropes here - keeper keeping them in it

Great save! Dutch will be happy to go on 0-0 at half time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Dutch keeper is having a stormer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

How are they calculating possession % here? The stats that flashed up a few minutes ago bear no relation to the passing stats.

**** that has to hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Niall_76

Mars Bar wrote: »
    **** that has to hurt

Should have been a free to Netherlands there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

US looking much more dangerous than the Dutch are, more purposeful in the final third.

Dutch keep losing possession with long balls.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Game really picked up there

osarusan wrote: »
    US looking much more dangerous than the Dutch are, more purposeful in the final third.

Dutch keep losing possession with long balls.

And yet it's still 0-0. US central defence can't run and they don't like the in-your-face approach of the Dutch. Delighted that it's in the balance despite expectations of a US procession to victory. If they win they'll have had to work very hard for it. Could really go either way.

Miles better than the previous final. That game was over at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Wish the ball boys/girls would stop throwing a second ball onto the pitch every time there's a throw in!
    Good game. Dutch keeper has kept them in it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement