Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 Women's World Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Red card all day long. These officials are not good, the assistant would have been in prime position to make the correct call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Looking forward to france v norway - should be a good contest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

This is a good contest, and I can see the French giving the Americans a good game. Diani looks class

This is a good contest, and I can see the French giving the Americans a good game. Diani looks class

Agree re Diani - Norway look tough to break down though.

As an aside, love the French jersey - simple but classy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Two very good centre backs for Norway. Good to see Norway string passes together in the past few minutes, not just all frenetic stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The French are kicking their asses but just can't score the goals.

Norway asleep there at the start of the second half - can see France getting a second or third now easily if Norway have to come out and attack more.

Oh wow - that was a bad OG. Game on now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What a shocker. No communication or awareness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Own goals a bit of a feature in this WC, thats three in the space of a few days

• Advertisement

She had so much time. May have got caught between two minds on which way to clear it and settled on the middle

I tuned in at half time and initially thought the technical standard was ok, but after 25 minutes it's clear that I was wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Var penalty..... Harsh on the befuddled Norwegian girl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Var penalty..... Harsh on the befuddled Norwegian girl

Very harsh. First look I did think it was, but she did seem to get a very slight touch of the ball.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Same as the Spain v South Africa decision. Neither given by the ref and neither should have been. Once they go to the screen, they'll always change the decision.

VAR affected results :rolleyes:

I thought it was quite reckless, whether she got the ball or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

jees only discovered yesterday ireland have never qualified for a major tourny..good case to join up northern ireland and republic women i say !!

What do women who play think about having to play on a pitch and goalmouths designed for men? Surely it's not helping development of standards.

Three options for me, smaller pitch, more players (12), shorter game (80 mins)

What do women who play think about having to play on a pitch and goalmouths designed for men? Surely it's not helping development of standards.

Three options for me, smaller pitch, more players (12), shorter game (80 mins)

Nahhhh, not for me. Pitch and goalmouth were designed for football, not genders. Women and their physicality can comfortably perform and complete while adhering to the same regulation and scope as the fellas and have been doing so for decades, successfully and entertaining all the while.

I think if you suggested messing with the dynamics of the sport in the way you are suggesting the backlash would be huge, from the ladies and football fans in general.

Would it be natural and normal for ladies competing in the 5000 meters at a major athletics event to stop halfway for 60 seconds to rest and take on liquids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Do any team sports have smaller pitches for women? Rugby dont. GAA is the same size too is it not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Strumms wrote: »
    Nahhhh, not for me. Pitch and goalmouth were designed for football, not genders. Women and their physicality can comfortably perform and complete while adhering to the same regulation and scope as the fellas and have been doing so for decades, successfully and entertaining all the while.

I think if you suggested messing with the dynamics of the sport in the way you are suggesting the backlash would be huge, from the ladies and football fans in general.

Would it be natural and normal for ladies competing in the 5000 meters at a major athletics event to stop halfway for 60 seconds to rest and take on liquids?

I think having the goalmouth dimensions smaller is a legitimate argument. Women in general much smaller in height than men obviously and less powerful to makes saves etc.

Chelsea manager Emma Hayes made a case for this on BT sport.

http://www.sportbible.com/football/pub-talk-emma-hayes-makes-case-for-womens-football-to-have-smaller-goals-20190522

Really don't agree re a smaller pitch or shorter game time - women are no less fit than men! The goal size argument is a little different as on average men are taller, but that said I know a lot of girls who are tall enough myself (they don't play soccer though :P). However I would keep the goal size the same - neither team has an advantage / disadvantage so if it is a litter trickier for goalkeepers, both sides are similarly affected ceteris paribus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Really don't agree re a smaller pitch or shorter game time - women are no less fit than men! The goal size argument is a little different as on average men are taller, but that said I know a lot of girls who are tall enough myself (they don't play soccer though :P). However I would keep the goal size the same - neither team has an advantage / disadvantage so if it is a litter trickier for goalkeepers, both sides are similarly affected ceteris paribus.

women players have much reduced fitness levels to men. This is a fact.

women cannot strike a ball anywhere near as hard as men either. Nowhere near as powerful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Do any team sports have smaller pitches for women? Rugby dont. GAA is the same size too is it not?

Camogie used to play on a smaller sized pitch with the goals you would see children playing with.

They changed to regulation sizes some years back.
    To be honest the standard in the last few AI Finals has been pretty poor with most scores coming from frees.
    I think they should consider going back to the smaller dimensions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

MD1990 wrote: »

women cannot strike a ball anywhere near as hard as men either. Nowhere near as powerful.

Which is contradicting the ask for a smaller goal really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I thought it was a penalty. Even with the touch on the ball, it was a wild swipe that made studs contact on the knee.

Which is contradicting the ask for a smaller goal really.

It actually just adds too it.

Loopy shots go in becaues the keepers are much smaller.

MD1990 wrote: »

Are you referring to aerobic fitness? This may be the case in reality/practice as women have less time to devote to training or recovery (the latter arguably even more important) but in terms of theoretical potential I don't think women would struggle in fitness terms to play a 90 minute match any more than men if training, resourcing etc. were similar. Sure, women are not as fast in general but they can manage to sprint, and run middle and long distance (including marathons) quite well without stopping halfway for a break.

Are you referring to aerobic fitness? This may be the case in reality/practice as women have less time to devote to training or recovery (the latter arguably even more important) but in terms of theoretical potential I don't think women would struggle in fitness terms to play a 90 minute match any more than men if training, resourcing etc. were similar. Sure, women are not as fast in general but they can manage to sprint, and run middle and long distance (including marathons) quite well without stopping halfway for a break.

i dont think they struggle in terms of fitness.

but the goals being a bit smaller would be a good idea

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »
    I think having the goalmouth dimensions smaller is a legitimate argument. Women in general much smaller in height than men obviously and less powerful to makes saves etc.

Chelsea manager Emma Hayes made a case for this on BT sport.

http://www.sportbible.com/football/pub-talk-emma-hayes-makes-case-for-womens-football-to-have-smaller-goals-20190522

Ok, but when they are the size they are it’s the same dimensions for BOTH teams. Nobody on the pitch is gaining an advantage. To make the goals smaller the only people who would benefit would be each defense. It’s making scoring more difficult, rewarding accuracy less and therefore penalizing players as opposed to helping them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

syngindub wrote: »
    jees only discovered yesterday ireland have never qualified for a major tourny..good case to join up northern ireland and republic women i say !!
    The only way to have a joint women's team is for the FAI and IFA to become one association.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

764dak wrote: »
    The only way to have a joint women's team is for the FAI and IFA to become one association.

Or create a new football association for the women's game at club level that covers women's football across the island, and form the international team off the back of that association.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I can see the argument for smaller goals but thats really a problem in recruitment of players, like last night the Thai centrebacks didnt look much taller than 5 foot 6 at best. As the womens game develops over time you'll have a broader talent pool to select from and taller players (especially keepers) will rise to the top of the game.

Take a look at the Chinese womens volleyball team, China is hardly a country full of tall people but every woman on that team is over 6 foot tall with a couple of them touching 6 foot 8. It will take time for the womens game to get players with adequate height and who are also good enough but it will happen as the game grows.

china-womens-volleyball-team.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Or create a new football association for the women's game at club level that covers women's football across the island, and form the international team off the back of that association.
    It's a FIFA thing.  Men and women's national teams represent their national associations in FIFA matches.  A new football association just women wouldn't be able to send any teams to FIFA tournaments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Women aren't as fit as men. Aerobic capacity can be measured by a person's VO2 max. Women's relative VO2 max is around 20-35% lower than mens. Their absolute VO2 max values can be 40-60% lower. That includes top athletes.

Sure women can be as fit as men but not if they train similarly and have similar quality of genes.

• Advertisement

A dive there, BRaZiL 1-0 up

Women aren't as fit as men. Aerobic capacity can be measured by a person's VO2 max. Women's relative VO2 max is around 20-35% lower than mens. Their absolute VO2 max values can be 40-60% lower. That includes top athletes.

Sure women can be as fit as men but not if they train similarly and have similar quality of genes.

I take your point but I still don't think it would preclude them performing at a high level for a 90 minute match, such that the time should be reduced.

The words of Bill Shankly come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Just turned on the last ten minutes of the Oz v Brazil game. Jesus. Who is doing the co-commentary ? Her voice would go through ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

VAR decision for Australia's third. Long ball into the box, and the Aussie striker was definitely offside as the ball was played. She was being marked by one defender and was hoping the ball would drop over another defender, when that defender tried to head clear but only succeeded in glancing it into her own net.

I thought it would be disallowed as the striker was reason for the desperate defensive header, and especially when the ref, who initially gave it, headed over to do a screen review (that almost always means a change of decision) but she stood by her original decision.

• Advertisement

The unforced error rate is enormous. In the men's game there would be whistles and ironic cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

One commentator said that VAR hadn't got rid of contentious decisions and he was right.
    The goal should have been disallowed.
    Then in the last 5 minutes a clear pull down in the box was reviewed, and not given as a penalty.
    The Brazilian manager cost them the game though, taking 2 players off at half time, and ending up with no subs as his strikers got cramp.
    I can't wait until someone goes 1-0 up against the Australians, runs down the clock, and drives them mad.
    They started going into the corner on 82 minutes, desperate stuff altogether, and their manager kicked the ball away twice when they conceded throws. Then your one got slight contact to the face and went down like she's been shot!

China vs South Africa next, two sides that racked up a colossal 3 shots on target, combined, in their first two games.
    I can't see this being a 5 goal game, although China are 2/5 for the win !!

The unforced error rate is enormous. In the men's game there would be whistles and ironic cheers.

Why the comparisons and negativity?

Enjoy it for what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

there are about 6 blokes playing in this china V South Africa game !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

jacool wrote: »
    They started going into the corner on 82 minutes, desperate stuff altogether,

They should trial a 5m no mans land with no holds barred around each corner flag. Thatd soon put an end to that ****e. I've been advocatign that for years :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

They should trial a 5m no mans land with no holds barred around each corner flag. Thatd soon put an end to that ****e. I've been advocatign that for years :pac:

This needs to happen. Roundhouse kicks for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Genuinely think the pressure of the occasion is affecting performances. Have seen a few Womens Champions league games(English Super league_ and even some the qualifying games involving teams v Ireland and England etc and the quality did seem better than this WC. I doubt many of players are used to such media attention and scrutiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's a FIFA thing.  Men and women's national teams represent their national associations in FIFA matches.  A new football association just women wouldn't be able to send any teams to FIFA tournaments.

It has to be a national association - but does it have to be the same association for mens and womens football? like, does it have to be an offshoot of the association running the mens side? Or can women's football in a country create their own association? Not a competing one to the FAI, but literally just shut down the women's wing of the FAI, and the IFA, and create a new, seperate association governing all women's football on the island of ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Why the comparisons and negativity?

Enjoy it for what it is.

I agree with you on this, but something that is annoying me is that there are some women and feminists who actually are, unintentionally, arguing against equality.

For example, there was a woman on today's Football Weekly giving out about the criticism of the American players over celebrating their goals at eight nine ten nil etc and that if it was the man's game, it wouldn't happen. Of course it would bloody happen. Sure when Ronaldo scored his penalty to make it four one in the European Cup final against Atletico a few years back and celebrated like he scored a last minute winner, he got plenty of stick.

There's always talk in the man's game of not taking the p!ss if you're starting to hammer the opposition. The Germans were weary of that when they battered Brazil in the 2014 World Cup.

The stupid throw the other day that got lots of attention, sure wasn't it an Iranian footballer who messed up a somersault throw in the mens World Cup last year that got plenty of ridicule.

It's very frustrating to watch this tournament for what is, make comments on it and have opinions on what you're watching in the normal way you would if it was the mens World Cup, and then being told you're treating it differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Women's football reminds me a bit like rugby.

At international level you have a small number of teams who have quality. And you have some nations who are bereeved of genuine talent.

It becomes a problem with representative qualification. Such as we have with the world cup of both sports.

Thailand are so far behind the top sides, in the same manner as Namibia are so far behind the all balcks etc.

Although overall I find the first touch on average very poor considering it's the pinnacle of the sport.

• Advertisement
Advertisement