Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 Women's World Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Strumms wrote: »
    Marta seems like a bit of an annoying fûcker, mouthing off at the referee for wanting her to leave the pitch in an efficient manner, after taking an age to try and put the armband on her teammate.

I guess if you're like the female Ronaldo you probably have a bit of an ego :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Anyone else think the phil neville bubble will burst tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jonathan Pearce is so bad I've switched to RTE and Danger Here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nice free-kick from Japan and a good save.

England pounce to score.

Waistcoat power prevailing

Super finish for White's second goal there. England closing the game out just as Japan were looking very dangerous

Scotland were 3-0 up against Argentina. It's now 3-2 and Argentina may have a penalty.

After consulting VAR it's a penalty. Game on BBC Four atm.

Penalty saved!

Wow. It's being made to be retaken after keeper slightly off the line. I've seen worse instances of that in the past. Drama here.

And it's scored this time for 3-3! Bloody hell it must be cruel being a Scotland fan watching this.

Ah lord penalty retaken and scored! :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Scotland were 3-0 up against Argentina. It's now 3-2 and Argentina may have a penalty.

After consulting VAR it's a penalty. Game on BBC Four atm.

Penalty saved!

Wow. It's being made to be retaken after keeper slightly off the line. I've seen worse instances of that in the past. Drama here.

And it's scored this time for 3-3! Bloody hell it must be cruel being a Scotland fan watching this.

Just the 7 minutes between the initial foul and the penalty being scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

These penalty retakes are a load of crock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Scotland robbed there

Ref blown for full time already?!

Bullsh*t!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

This ref is ATROCIOUS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Vicxas wrote: »
    Scotland robbed there

Although they do have to shoulder the blame for losing a 3 goal lead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

Where do they find these refs.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

That pen retake is a load of crap FIFA need to look at it all again

That ending was one of the strangest I've seen. When the ref blew the final whistle you could see both sides looking at her thinking, "she's not actually blown for full time, has she?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Actually thought the Scottish defender won the ball initially for the penalty. The ref was very quick on checking if the keeper was off the line, looked border line. Should have been another 5 minutes at least, pathetic ref

Half the Argentina players were crying when they won the penalty, was a bit odd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Fifa have made a right balls up of the rule changes. Penalties and stupid decisions all over the place .

I'm sure var will be blamed by lots of people but it's a laws issue, not a var one.

That referee in the Scotland game was ridiculous . Just kept saying about the 5 minutes, it wasnt sinking in at all with her that the time lost within that 5 minutes has to be added on. Stupidity.

• Advertisement

That pen retake is a load of crap FIFA need to look at it all again

Why? Either there is some cut-off point for where a keeper must be or else they effectively have carte-blanche to be 2 metres off the line.

Arguably the rule could be 'easier' on the keeper, but remember whatever the rule is the keeper will push it to the limit obviously. Anything beyond that must be a foul and a retake.

I was anti-VAR (plenty of posts here to prove it) but this is something that is perfectly reasonable for VAR to decide. There's no actual debate like there is for a tackle or a handball, it's a matter of fact situation.

Shoot outs will be fun will keepers be sent off now I wonder if they save 2 pens but are not on the line, if they are to come down hard on it then they should also do it if the pen is scored and not only if it is saved or missed, Also not very kind by the ref to allow Argentina to take the free kick as the Scottish sub is just on the field leaving them basically short as they were not set. Not playing the time it took to review almost 10 mins was also bad

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Why? Either there is some cut-off point for where a keeper must be or else they effectively have carte-blanche to be 2 metres off the line.

Arguably the rule could be 'easier' on the keeper, but remember whatever the rule is the keeper will push it to the limit obviously. Anything beyond that must be a foul and a retake.

I was anti-VAR (plenty of posts here to prove it) but this is something that is perfectly reasonable for VAR to decide. There's no actual debate like there is for a tackle or a handball, it's a matter of fact situation.

The overall decision should be given with significant deference to what the referee sees on the field at the time and VAR should confirm or reject it. Not re-referee the game.

Using it to determine a mm here or there or handball that nobody noticed changing a decision or non-decision is not good use of VAR (but an obvious end result of using it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

dfx- wrote: »
    The overall decision should be given with significant deference to what the referee sees on the field at the time and VAR should confirm or reject it. Not re-referee the game.

Using it to determine a mm here or there or handball that nobody noticed changing a decision or non-decision is not good use of VAR (but an obvious end result of using it).
    Well it was just under 30mm that gave City the title and that was correct. I think the issue last night was how long it took and that the time was not added. I also the that goal line rule is hard one to get a player to change to in such a short time. Give it a few months of a season and it'll become relatively rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Fifa have made a right balls up of the rule changes. Penalties and stupid decisions all over the place .

I'm sure var will be blamed by lots of people but it's a laws issue, not a var one.

That referee in the Scotland game was ridiculous . Just kept saying about the 5 minutes, it wasnt sinking in at all with her that the time lost within that 5 minutes has to be added on. Stupidity.
    The tendency in big tournaments is to rigidly apply the rules initially and then review. You can already see players automatically putting their arms behind their backs. I'd agree on the ref though, really not the best we've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Again, I'd love to have seen a camera angle for the retaken penalty that showed the entire penalty area. Was there not even one Argentinean with a toe an inch inside the area?

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    Again, I'd love to have seen a camera angle for the retaken penalty that showed the entire penalty area. Was there not even one Argentinean with a toe an inch inside the area?

No Argentina player in the box but the keeper was even further of her line the 2nd time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What a goal that would have been from Miedema

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Netherlands take the lead from a free kick but in my opinion it was a dive and not a free kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The composure of Cameroon there, scoring with the last kick of the game to go from elimination to the last 16!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Shocking shocking goal for Sweden to concede

Sweden's keeper is having a 'mare. The attendance is strong for this game at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Christ almighty, what is with goalkeepers in the women's game. Mind bogglingly bad, Swedish keeper is all over the shop.

This new offside rule is nonsense. I get the rule and I know why it was still given, but it's nonsense that a player can be in an offside position, clearly be influencing play by making defenders play the ball when they would not do so if the offside player was not there, and there's nothing wrong with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

osarusan wrote: »
    This new offside rule is nonsense. I get the rule and I know why it was still given, but it's nonsense that a player can be in an offside position, clearly be influencing play by making defenders play the ball when they would not do so if the offside player was not there, and there's nothing wrong with it.

It has been broken for a very very long time

Round of 16
    Saturday 22nd June
    16:30
    Germany V Nigeria
    20:00 Norway V Australia

Sunday 23rd June
    16:30
    England V Cameroon
    20:00 France V Brazil

Monday 24th June
    17:00
    Spain V USA
    20:00 Sweden V Canada

Tuesday 25th June
    17:00
    Italy V China
    20:00 Netherlands V Japan

Quarter-finals
    Thursday 27th June
    20:00
    Norway/Australia V England/Cameroon

Friday 28th June
    France/Brazil V Spain/USA

Saturday 29th June
    14:00
    Italy/China V Netherlands/Japan
    17:30 Germany/Nigeria V Sweden/Canada

Semi-finals
    Tuesday 2nd July
    Norway/Australia/England/Cameroon V France/Brazil/Spain/USA

Wednesday 3rd July
    Italy/China/Netherlands/Japan V Germany/Nigeria/Sweden/Canada

Third place play-off
    Saturday 6th July
    16:00

Final
    Sunday 7th July
    16:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Norway v Australia is a good fun watch, Norway lead one nil. End to end stuff all game, Australia on top in the second half but look liable to concede again.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Norway v Australia is a good fun watch, Norway lead one nil. End to end stuff all game, Australia on top in the second half but look liable to concede again.

Very enjoyable watch, this.

You'd have to think Australia will bang one in.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Very enjoyable watch, this.

You'd have to think Australia will bang one in.

Finally did. Poor defence at the corner. Straight in from it.

Yeah, cracking game between two evenly matched teams.

• Advertisement

VAR going to give the Aussies a pen I reckon.

Edit: surprised they didn't get ref to look at that.

Oooof what an effort.

Excellwnt game. The Aussies pushed really hard for the equaliser, unlike the Nigerians earlier today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This has been a pulsating game of football. Delighted we're getting treated to another 30 mins of it.

Hugely enjoyable 90 mins.

Thoroughly enjoyable so far. Norway got what they deserved for sitting back, but looked likely to score again after they got pegged back.

Both these teams look better on the ball than England (possible next opponent's if they beat Cameroon - which is no gimme)

Aussies down to ten unless VAR save her. Ref's had a good game imo.

She had a good hold of the jersey but dont think the Norwegian would have got the ball. Yellow for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Sam Kerr from Australia is moaning at every single decision, melter!

Oh my days what an effort from Norway!!!

• Advertisement

Jebus, Norway rattle the woodwork again.

Advertisement