Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

toilet

Options
  • 29-05-2019 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    When we come home there is a bad smell coming from the small spare toilet, The smell is also in the corridor at nights.
    We have a small toilet that we got to install 5 years ago next to the spare room.

We flush the toilet regularly and it is pristine clean but the smell is still there.I suspect the smell comes from the basin from the small toilet. We have a few spays but it can only mask the smell temporarily. Sometimes, i have used camper toilet treatment and left for a couple of hours in the sink. It improves but again only for a day or a couple of hours. Sometimes i'm the impression that the smell comes from the overflow passage but I am not 100% sure.

I think the pipes from the toilet and basin connect at some point. Is that normal? The toilet was brand new but the basin was given to us. Is there something that i could check in the basin, that might be missing that could be the cause of the smell?

Many thanks,
    jose
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭xl500

Hi Guys,
    When we come home there is a bad smell coming from the small spare toilet, The smell is also in the corridor at nights.
    We have a small toilet that we got to install 5 years ago next to the spare room.

We flush the toilet regularly and it is pristine clean but the smell is still there.I suspect the smell comes from the basin from the small toilet. We have a few spays but it can only mask the smell temporarily. Sometimes, i have used camper toilet treatment and left for a couple of hours in the sink. It improves but again only for a day or a couple of hours. Sometimes i'm the impression that the smell comes from the overflow passage but I am not 100% sure.

I think the pipes from the toilet and basin connect at some point. Is that normal? The toilet was brand new but the basin was given to us. Is there something that i could check in the basin, that might be missing that could be the cause of the smell?

Many thanks,
    jose

Has it always smelled since you put it in

Have a look at anti syphon basin trap

https://mcalpineplumbing.com/traps/tubular-traps/x10v-straight-through-anti-syphon-trap

• Registered Users Posts: 24,222 ✭✭✭✭phog

Do you regularly use the washbasin? If not then maybe the S bend outlet has dried up and the foul air is feeding back up through the waste pipe.

It is common enough that the outlets from washbasin and toilet will meet at some point this is why all outlets should have a S bend as it stops foul air coming back up the pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Is there enough water in the basin of the toilet? The water should be sitting above the outlet to block smells coming back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭josvill2010

the water level in the toilet has what I consider to be a normal amount of water

Is the basin near a washing machine ?
    They could be on the same waste like in out place.
    Sometimes air gets pushed back up to the basin and it stinks .

• Advertisement

thanks BrownFinger. The washing machine is in a different line.

phog wrote: »
    Do you regularly use the washbasin? If not then maybe the S bend outlet has dried up and the foul air is feeding back up through the waste pipe.

It is common enough that the outlets from washbasin and toilet will meet at some point this is why all outlets should have a S bend as it stops foul air coming back up the pipes.

I do use it at least once a day. But i do wonder whether the S bend is not doing what is supposed to do. I have my own suspicions about the S bend

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Does the Toilet room have a sink or a shower?

If yes, the problem most likely is not the toilet itself, it is the drain on the sink. The U shaped bend has water in it, it is meant to keep smells from coming back up the drain. But if the U shaped bend dries out (this is easily done in a warm apartment for example) then the smell will come straight up into the room.

Most people dont think of this as they dont associate the drain with bad smells.

Try running the sink tap regularly. You could also install a different type of U / S bend on it to stop smells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

The toilet was brand new but the basin was given to us.

Did it come with its waste system; (a P trap as mentioned)?
    Was it in use before you got it, or was it lying around for a while?
    If it's plumbed in properly then a good clean out of the waste pipes might help,
    including the overflow .

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ando2891

I had a problem with 2 out of 4 toilets in my new build, is your toilet a close coupled toilet that sits flush with the wall? The problem with my close coupled toilet was during installation when you pushed the waste pipe into the opening in the floor then pushed the toilet against the wall, the waste pipe was forced back on itself and didnt seal properly. I removed the toilet and sealed around the waste with tec 7 sealer, allowed it to dry fully, then secured the toilet back to the wall. Havent had any smell issues since!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It could be that flushing the toilet is syphoning the water out of the u-bend of the sink. Run some water into it after flushing and see does that stop the smell.

Advertisement