Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port tunnel and bikes

Options
  • 29-05-2019 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

What is the story with bikes and the port tunnel these days? Do they actually charge full car rate for bikes through there?
    I have to get to the ferry next week and don't fancy city centre traffic at 9am.
    Im sure it has been covered in depth over the years but I cant find anything up to date.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

hrcbob wrote: »
    What is the story with bikes and the port tunnel these days? Do they actually charge full car rate for bikes through there?
    I have to get to the ferry next week and don't fancy city centre traffic at 9am.
    Im sure it has been covered in depth over the years but I cant find anything up to date.

Thanks in advance.

€10 to avoid the traffic. If you are taking the tunnel then the free road parallel to it is wide enough for a bike most of the way and there is a bus lane.

https://www.dublintunnel.ie/toll-information

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

Can you explain what you mean by the free road parallel to it??
    Im not familiar with the layout up there at all.. Last time I did the tunnel was in a van at 4am about 3 years ago so my memory of it isn't wonderful.

Can you explain what you mean by the free road parallel to it??
    Im not familiar with the layout up there at all.. Last time I did the tunnel was in a van at 4am about 3 years ago so my memory of it isn't wonderful.

When you go towards the tunnel there is a road to the left which runs straight into Dublin, every toll road has a free alternative and since the port tunnel is a motorway learners can't use it.

I can't remember the name of it though

Are you talking about the M1? :confused:

Just looking at maps I assume you would be looking at n1 in to drumcondra and the r131 across to the port?
    Probably equally as mental traffic wise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Just looking at maps I assume you would be looking at n1 in to drumcondra and the r131 across to the port?
    Probably equally as mental traffic wise?

Yes it'll be busier because people don't want to pay for the privilege of the tunnel being less busy. If it comes to it and your running late for the ferry, id be paying to go through the tunnel at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

If you don't know town, or don't want the stress of traffic, or directions, then a hassle free €10 isn't bad, lands you right where you need to be. Just watch the speed in the tunnel (and the fumes!)

The N1 / R132 / Old road, keep left - takes you through town, Drumcondra etc. Plenty of bus lanes. Not a band run. I do it everyday.

Last time we went the guy I was following brought us down the quays at 8.30 so anything has to be better than that..
    Talk about a head melter with the bike loaded to the ears with luggage and me not having a clue where I was going.

Where you coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Last time we went the guy I was following brought us down the quays at 8.30 so anything has to be better than that..
    Talk about a head melter with the bike loaded to the ears with luggage and me not having a clue where I was going.

Sounds like €10 will be well spent for you in the tunnel.
    Get the revs up and get you're fun that out of it that way.

Tape the €10 to the screen, should be grand ;)

• Advertisement

GBX wrote: »
    Where you coming from?

M7.

I hate motorways and tolls even more but it has to be better than braving the quays again.

Im so glad I don't have to face that on a daily basis.

If I was you id do M50 then port tunnel. As above, tenner well spent to make the ferry.

GBX wrote: »
    If I was you id do M50 then port tunnel. As above, tenner well spent to make the ferry.
    Looks like the best option really.
    I was more just checking so I knew the deal in advance and I can have a tenner handy for the toll.
    Bit scabby of them to screw the bikes but sure I guess its is Ireland after all.:rolleyes:

Looks like the best option really.
    I was more just checking so I knew the deal in advance and I can have a tenner handy for the toll.
    Bit scabby of them to screw the bikes but sure I guess its is Ireland after all.:rolleyes:

It's supposed to be a truck route to the port so the toll is high at peak times to keep small vehicles away from the trucks. Shame they went scabby on the tunnel so that 3 trucks are needed for some loads that used to be done by 1, so instead of 1 HGV on the road we now have 3 adding to congestion.

Will you be using GPS on your trip? If so it's a simple run with plenty of bus lanes.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Will you be using GPS on your trip? If so it's a simple run with plenty of bus lanes.

Noooooo. none of those gizmos. I plan my route on a map and memorise the road numbers and general directions and generally wing it from there.

Its the one thing I still enjoy most about biking. Being away from all electronic gadgets in my own little world.

I will however make exceptions for power commanders. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

At that time 8-9am, the M7 and M50 will also be mental, not pleasant for anyone not used to commuting.

If I were you, I'd aim to be at the port for 8am, you'll miss most of the traffic whichever route you take.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

A little tip in case it’s been a while since you’ve used the port tunnel, you might have forgotten they introduced average speed cameras.

‘A new speed enforcement system has gone live in Dublin Port Tunnel. The cameras are the first in Ireland to work on an average speed basis rather than by video or at a fixed point.

This means that they record the time that a vehicle enters and exits the tunnel and divide the 4.8km distance between Coolock and Dublin Port by the elapsed time in order to calculate an average speed.

If that average exceeds 80km/h, the vehicle’s registration details will be automatically passed on to Gardaí for enforcement action.

Any driver that completes the tunnel in under 3m 36s will be in breach of the limit.

The cameras cover all the lanes in the tunnel, so drivers will not be able to evade them by switching lanes. Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) add that the system will not have flashing lights or other indicators, but it will be monitoring at all times’.

https://www.theaa.ie/blog/dublin-port-tunnel-average-speed-cameras/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

If you have epic sounding pipes it should be free for you to use the tunnel. ;)

Edit... flame spouting ones - you should get €3 credit...

John_Rambo wrote: »
    If you have epic sounding pipes it should be free for you to use the tunnel. ;)

Edit... flame spouting ones - you should get €3 credit...

Epic sounding I can do courtesy of a pair of harris cans.

Flame spouting .. well only when very cold or im on overrun from higher than port tunnel legal rpm;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If you want to avoid the toll, and I wouldn't blame you at that price and if you're not confident with the traffic in Whitehall, Drumcondra then I'd recommend you come off the M1/M50 at the N32. That the N32 to the Malahide Road all the way to the bottom, then take a left towards Clontarf and then the first right at the Alfie Byrne Road and that takes you more or less to the ferry port.

Advertisement