Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a Turbo Trainer in the attic

Options
  • 29-05-2019 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

I'm in the process of moving house and there is a nice big attic with a skylight for ventilation, I was thinking it would be ideal to set up the turbo and a fan for training when winter comes around.

It's a fairly bog standard attic with a lot of exposed insulation, I have some concerns over the safety/health risks of training up there, especially with fan/vibration potentially kicking up a lot of particulate from the insulation.

Has anybody got any experience/knowledge to advise if this would be a good idea or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Another concern would be noise - I'd imagine it would reverberate all over the house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that was my first thought. the joists up there are probably not specced for flooring purposes and noise would transfer far more readily to the floor below than they would from an upstairs bedroom, say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I don't use a turbo trainer, but my first thought is...why use them indoors at all? your going to be very warm/hot while using it, so outdoors to me seems the obvious location?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I don't use a turbo trainer, but my first thought is...why use them indoors at all? your going to be very warm/hot while using it, so outdoors to me seems the obvious location?

I've got a massive fan which keeps me cool so I don't have to take my laptop for zwift/Netflix out in the dark and the rain.

The Turbo I have is fairly quiet, and I'd be happy to sacrifice a bit of noise throughout the house to free up space.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

surely one of the benefits of a turbo is that it can be used indoors (i don't have one though).
    for many people, they might not have the option of placing it anywhere but indoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Cos rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Raam wrote: »
    Cos rain.

#Rule 5! its only rain :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

uncle-mofo wrote: »
    ...and I'd be happy to sacrifice a bit of noise throughout the house ....
    I meant the noise and annoyance it would cause to others living under the same roof - not you.

(As you are saving space, I'm presuming that others live in the same house).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I meant the noise and annoyance it would cause to others living under the same roof - not you.

(As you are saving space, I'm presuming that others live in the same house).

sure if they didn't he'd have it in the sitting room in front of the tv..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭positron

Well, if noise is not a concern perhaps a direct drive turbo trainer and then some DIY tidy-up of the attic to hide the insulation, and install some floorboards etc. If you can open the skylight you will be alright for ventilation. You will also need to get power there, and LAN/WIFI etc, you would need a decent ladder and access to get bike and yourself up there (not your usual 16 inch square access thingee).

My turbo trainer lives in the garden shed - standard wheel on roller type - I have only one bike so it's easy to install it on the trainer or to take it off and go for a ride etc. I did get power and LAN into the shed, so that I can stream youtube/netflix/plex there, and of course big bolt to lock the shed from inside (to keep kids out :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I have my Turbo trainer set up in the attic and it's grand and out of the way. I wouldn't use it at night though with the kids in bed as even a direct drive is noisy enough and I usually watch the tv when one the turbo. You will need a bike purely for the turbo though as it'd be a pain dragging a bike up and down from the attic.

kFByzSCD78nWibzUk7q_Y8NXiPgM0rbHz8PCyoTnGAb-8agWxwR8PKm4PiaDSZ1rGiwE9QYD1kOTPk30WG0fia0xrbtYBxL6IaVU4cwDeE8l_cbiuq3xWoAMy0wxIugPlhZGdfZgJdLOLi2JMzyDoDf8uPt_w7gWtqw3aPujxSEbOH61nAV4snPYEDk_RBJLBziqL9hCYNepFQAP8707ttFnwrqWy92KokwDp9-JaJKCUA5Fe74zrYCMBdQDCHKmrxvEtbc2uLITrbjGpq-3U09sfcQyBh4YCwzvF-GcvDSfDFVNx-fxX7WfH5XuV3D7mwdPx39nGVy67QkEt38-8A9XjBIzJf1jPui_-VIYDbspHbCza2LeIQsjBUnA7RFfFFnJ6zAmuZ_lXrjcIhMxxGffQzywY8GotSV8nESg4qfekKLTFXDOyDVA7U-MJuTxuOOBCQFmx9wlV-HRXkOY6XwxZmIWJEPb3iY7lfZ7t6ZmAVXFjIIdVKGFEpGAYFz85hutmD3lCueXZ8zZtBpMR3bpmFqfxsk_YdBRqwUjTn4PDffgtdCWV50hZg9irakC8QWclBQdxNbFq1kEmFgoi-SO6KfZzZ-s8Qai_cdUCmc6vVsddtW0_ypdOxdq4RxFn2fyAMpjmVcAROV0ddMZaz40l2X7F7zn=w1286-h625-no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

It’s gonna stink up there too after not long....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

martyc5674 wrote: »
    It’s gonna stink up there too after not long....

Not at all probably the draftiest place in the house and positively freezing in winter OP so something to keep in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's a bit weird that you have a skylight and exposed insulation.

No way would I train in an attic like that.

If you own it then get it to the point where it's got taped membranes and slabs up.

Advertisement