Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Addison lodge

Options
  • 29-05-2019 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I see the addison lodge in glasnevin is all boarded up anyone got any ideas what's happening. Was due to become apartments years ago but was refused. Anything would be better than the dilapidated knocking shop it is now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I think it is to be apartments as planning was then approved.

https://dublingazette.com/news/news-city-edition/anger-block-botanic-gardens-approved/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Many a pint in there back in the day. Massive site that was always ripe for a development

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Most recent Granted Planning Application : 4554/17

Full Development Description

The development will consist of the provision of a new residential development consisting of (a) erection of 12 no. apartment units comprising 1 no. one-bedroom and 11 no. two-bedroom units with private terrace / balcony areas in 2 no. four-storey apartment buildings fronting Botanic Road, (b) erection of 19 no. houses comprising 16 no. four-bedroom and three no. three-bedroom units with private rear gardens (17 no. houses will also contain a terrace area to the front elevations), (c) 47 no. car parking spaces, bicycle parking and refuse area at basement level (with access to and from Botanic Road), (d) central courtyard area, (e) paving and landscaping works to include tree planting and provision of green areas, (f) restoration and upgrade works to the site boundaries, (g) re-orientation of existing footpath along Botanic Road, (h) installation of street lighting, (i) surface water and foul drainage, (j) demolition of 'The Addison Lodge' a two storey public house and 'Glasnevin Lodge', a two-storey house with attic floor level and all existing out-buildings and (k) all other site works necessary to facilitate the development.

No Commencement Notice lodged just yet, so they may be simply closing off the site to prepare for impending works.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If a nice build it will be a great quality and sought after place to live. Right across the road from the botanic gardens, 2 minute walking distance to the very good Tolka House pub, 2 min walk to the bank and shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Strumms wrote: »
    If a nice build it will be a great quality and sought after place to live. Right across the road from the botanic gardens, 2 minute walking distance to the very good Tolka House pub, 2 min walk to the bank and shops.

Close to town with the 4, 9, 83 all going past your doorstep. Excellent location alright.

I've heard the front bit of that building is really really old (1800s?) and can't be changed too much, anyone know the truth of that?

• Advertisement

Part of it was originally part of the main house that Lord Addison lived in.

Close to town with the 4, 9, 83 all going past your doorstep. Excellent location alright.

I've heard the front bit of that building is really really old (1800s?) and can't be changed too much, anyone know the truth of that?

The building doesn't look remarkable or THAT old certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

12 apartments,19 houses and 47 car parking spaces. Is it just me or is that a poor use of prime land? In time it will be a 5 minute walk from the new Metro, I would have thought the council would allow more density that what has been given.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    12 apartments,19 houses and 47 car parking spaces. Is it just me or is that a poor use of prime land? In time it will be a 5 minute walk from the new Metro, I would have thought the council would allow more density that what has been given.

It’s primarily a leafy residential area with neighboring amenities and residential property very close by and remember... directly opposite the botanics. I’d imagine the developer put in an appropriate application for what they felt they would get approval for.

Strumms wrote: »
    The building doesn't look remarkable or THAT old certainly.

the original house wasnt a huge big manor house and then when it was turned into a pub bits were added on over the years. they did a huge extension onto it back in the mid 90s

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

neris wrote: »
    they did a huge extension onto it back in the mid 90s

I think the last time they hoovered the place or cleaned the windows was back in the mid 90s..the place was maggoty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Last time I was there was after my Nana's funeral in the 90s :(
    Anyway, they'll build flats there but I don't know anyone who'd be able to afford one, I'd imagine they'll go at ridiculous prices. Is there a nicer part of the Northside that close to town? I don't think so.

Last time I was there was after my Nana's funeral in the 90s :(
    Anyway, they'll build flats there but I don't know anyone who'd be able to afford one, I'd imagine they'll go at ridiculous prices. Is there a nicer part of the Northside that close to town? I don't think so.

That exact part of the journey represents the worst traffic between finglas/ballymun/glasnevin to town..It's usually tailbacked solid from the botanic gardens to Kings Inn on one side or Botanic Avenue to Drumcondra road. I wouldnt live on that road if i was paid.

That exact part of the journey represents the worst traffic between finglas/ballymun/glasnevin to town..It's usually tailbacked solid from the botanic gardens to Kings Inn on one side or Botanic Avenue to Drumcondra road. I wouldnt live on that road if i was paid.

There is a bus connect concern from the locals there at the minute as to what they are going to do. Also a new development by Smurfits. They have the houses built out the back of Iona road and had planning for 5 storey apartments, this was then increased to 7 and now they have lodged planning for 9 stories. There will be massive congestion there as a result.

I lived on that road for a number of years, the pros massively outweighed the cons. The bus lane starts just up the road and once you get past Tesco the traffic eases off quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You could cycle into the city centre in 10 minutes or less

You could cycle into the city centre in 10 minutes or less

True but cycling isn't an option for everybody.

My point related as much about living in an area with constant gridlocked traffic as much as actually travelling by road there.

True but cycling isn't an option for everybody.

My point related as much about living in an area with constant gridlocked traffic as much as actually travelling by road there.

It's not constant gridlock, that just isn't the case. It's very busy into town in the morning. Other than that it's generally fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

It's not constant gridlock, that just isn't the case. It's very busy into town in the morning. Other than that it's generally fine.

Agreed. It's very busy in the morning rush hour (from about 7.30 to 9.00) but after that it's fine. The other direction doesn't really have much traffic in the evening rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cd76

Anyone know the current status of this build. Works appear to be going ahead. Is it still unchanged at 19 houses and 12 apartments ? Will be a great addition to the area. Would be interested in the apartments. Hope there are some nice penthouses overlooking the Botanic Gardens. Would be a lovely view to wake up to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cd76

Also, does anyone know about the proposed Development further up on Glasnevin Hill opposite the Bons Secours hospital. Has planning been approved. Anyone know how many apartments/houses are going up there. Will be great for the area. Way too quiet right now and can easily facilitate a few hundred families.
    Also opportunity for some more great penthouses overlooking the Botanic Gardens rather than an abandoned car parking yard !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Whats happening? They started and now the site is abandoned.

No idea… though just in searching for info though the owners of the Addison sold that land for 16 million back in ‘07..fukkk

Pubs were going for stupid money back then and pubs with big sites were in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Still abandoned. Nothing in the news about it. What a waste of valuable land.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I think it was one if those where planning was granted back in 2019 or so but after the strategic planning rules came in they tried to resubmit a bigger plan under those rules but it was rejected / challenged. Similar to what happened in danswell place. Developers got greedy and instead of having approved housing completed with people living there we have sites stuck in limbo

Work has finally recommenced on the site after a long break. One crane and worker there anyway. He's going to have his work cut out for him to finish.

Got this sent me to last week

Advertisement